Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Blink is from the Bahamas, not Barbados. Geez.
    "Cable was right!"

Why isn’t LightBright a member?? She hasn’t even been seen on Krakoa.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Frenzy is a strange case because the X-men franchise over the years thrived on turning villains into beloved members and Frenzy had a perfect set up to be something interesting after Age of X. I mean even right now with Cyclops and Jean being more "free". Frenzy could be interesting piece in that confusion.

With some characters they have to over do their personalities so that fans who don't get them and can quickly pick up who they are so until she becomes more permanent fixture her personality is going to be exaggerated. M was character that made wonder if the thread name is true because M looks to be in the process of catching on. She was on Adjectiveless all female X-men, X-factor, Weapon X ,and she got a little shine HoXPoX . She seems to be a Hickman favorite and the change to Penance feels like there is a story to be told there. I think she is very close to catching on the sell today use her is imagine if Emma Frost could turn Wolverine like character in combat.

Blink is black in the comics, In the recent Exiles her aunt was black. They clearly were drawing her with black features as well. She has always been from Barbados in comics. The TV show changed her name from Ferguson to Fong.

Monet dad

Though Monet is pretty mixed race-wise. Her paternal grandfather was white IIRC and her Algerian mother looks Arabic in origin. Doesn't mean Monet isn't black, but these other things are also a part of her heritage.

Looking at the way she was drawn in Generation X, her looks originally leaned towards her Algerian rather than her black roots.

As Kingdom X's question was about M's ethnic background, I think it's best to give the full picture. The whole thing with M is not as simple as her being black and whitewashed. Her background is such that she could easily end up looking in some of the lighter tones she has been drawn. There are plenty of mixed race people out there who also can be represented in the media. I'm not saying they should draw Monet as white, but there's nothing wrong as drawing her Arabic with darker skin than most Algerian women have (some of whom have a shade of skin almost as pale as a white person).

Extraordinary Member

I always saw Monet’s grandfather as a light skinned black.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Blink is from the Bahamas, not Barbados. Geez.
    Yeah I messed up that

Most significant is mixed muslim Monet St. Croix. Then you have poorly-cast-in-film Cecelia Reyes and powerhouse Frenzy. They all have distinct, strong opinions and clear personalities.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclops_was_right View Post
    Though Monet is pretty mixed race-wise. Her paternal grandfather was white IIRC and her Algerian mother looks Arabic in origin. Doesn't mean Monet isn't black, but these other things are also a part of her heritage.

Looking at the way she was drawn in Generation X, her looks originally leaned towards her Algerian rather than her black roots.

As Kingdom X's question was about M's ethnic background, I think it's best to give the full picture. The whole thing with M is not as simple as her being black and whitewashed. Her background is such that she could easily end up looking in some of the lighter tones she has been drawn. There are plenty of mixed race people out there who also can be represented in the media. I'm not saying they should draw Monet as white, but there's nothing wrong as drawing her Arabic with darker skin than most Algerian women have (some of whom have a shade of skin almost as pale as a white person).

monet was far darker than that in her first appearances as was synch so that is obviously a colorist thing there.

no one would have looked at monet and been like she must be algerian. maybe Guyanese or Indian. so imo thats a form of erasure.

6.jpg
    09.jpg
    Last edited by jwatson; 08-11-2020 at 06:53 AM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

There's probably not more than 10 X-Men who have caught on, then brief predominance is given to the creative team's pets.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    no one would have looked at monet and been like she must be algerian.
    Out of curiosity, what features would be evidently Algerian?

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Out of curiosity, what features would be evidently Algerian?

out of curiosity which features would evidently say she is or mixed for that matter?

though admittedly when i googled algerian women i didnt see it but when i googled dark skinned alergian women i did see khadija ben who was miss alergia and read about the racist abuse she suffered.

and even then she is touted as the first black women to win in their own media.
    Last edited by jwatson; 08-11-2020 at 07:10 AM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

It's funny (really it's not) that the X-community have so many black and female POC around, yet none have caught on. I think the major problem was that Chris Claremont didn't create any back in the 80's, not even in the New Mutants. I remember seeing a black girl on the cover of Marvel Age and wondered if there were plans of adding a black girl to the New Mutants.
    48-1.jpg

And no, that wasn't Bobby. He was with the Fallen Angels, as seen above. I wonder if it was a coloring error or not. Anyone know?

Anyway, we all know how regressive most writers are, wanting to put their own spin on characters they grew up with, so they would most likely not want to write some minor character that first appeared in the mid to late 90's and beyond. They would rather create their own character before that.

As people said, Joanna (Frenzy) is probably the most underused black woman, especially after the AoX story-line.
    Thankfully, Cece is being used (if minimally) and Tempo has made a humorous appearance in Murderers.
    It's sad Oya hasn't made more of an impact the way Armor has. Maybe because the team she was closes with has went back in time (original X-Men) or overall not as popular (Hope's Lights), especially now that the letter has a new group of mutants she's attached to.

I just wish the new crop of X-writers expand their approach on which characters they utilize. The mutants depend too much on them damn gates, when they have long-range teleporters. Why not use Locus or Blink as a transport once in a while?
    Why not us Cipher in X-Force to spy or do recon before gating in and getting killed? She's basically Kitty 2.0
    Why not use Frenzy in Excalibur when she has history with En Sabah Nur?

Not to put one minority against another, but the X-Men have a much better track record with Asian women like: Jubilee, Karma, Armor and Kwannon (just recently). At least they are appearing monthly. Sadly, the oldest (Karma) is having the worst showing, with no story line centering around her since Marjorie Liu left in 2013. If I'm wrong, someone let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    out of curiosity which features would evidently say she is or mixed for that matter?
    Your tone seems unnecessarily pointed. The colorist presents her as brown, which suggests a variety of ethnicities given the medium. If there's a feature that reminds readers of her specific origin, I'm open to seeing it made part of her design.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Your tone seems unnecessarily pointed. The colorist presents her as brown, which suggests a variety of ethnicities given the medium. If there's a feature that reminds readers of her specific origin, I'm open to seeing it made part of her design.
    i expounded. and my tone is what you read it as. very few words changed from yours and i didn't take what you asked that way.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Mighty Member

We not starting this mess. .Monet is Black, her sisters Nicole and Claudette are Black and her ugly ass bro is Black. Black folks come in many shades with various features and hair textures. Next caller!

Pathway and even goblyn from beta flight should be used more. Pathway powers on par with Yana but we don’t hear from her. Also there is the depowered Hub.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Blink is black?
    Uh oh...here we go.