Page 69 of 750 FirstFirst ... 195965666768697071727379119169569 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,035 of 11243

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    Super-heroes are aspirational, by definition.

That's the entire reason they exist. No more and no less.

Super-hero stories are meant to be plausible, not "realistic." It's like the difference between a truth and a fact. Truths need not line up with events or science but facts always must. Super-heroes are about truths, not facts. These characters and universes were never meant to bear the full load of actual realism and they always suffer when people inject it. 100% of the time.
    You would think this would be obvious but here we are.. I mean it doesn't help that in a recent interview Coates said he feels like it's his job to write about slavery and exploring that untapped area for whatever reason. Which is fine... For his own book's, for BP? Afrofuturistic concept's, black excellence, inspiration, unity, with a fully realized T'Challa who's looking at the Forest while everyone else is looking at the trees, shrewdest man alive, king, warrior, superhero. Of he can't hang then he needs to get off the book and make way for those who can

*insert Redjack signal*

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    There have been nothing but black clouds in Coates BP since the 1st issue. No hope. No optimism. No inspiration. Just depression and an aimless hero.

Superhero comics are about the hero's journey through adversity and conflict with a brighter outlook that should inspire and give a feeling of satisfaction by story's end.

Not Coates' Panther. The only thing you feel is sadness and a sense of dread.
    I think there's a brighter outlook at the end of his arcs. By the end of the first arc the Doras got the freedom they wanted and the Wakandans got the democracy they wanted. Everyone except Tetu and company got what they wanted. It literakky results in a golden age for Wakanda.

This arc isn't over, but I'm pretty sure in the end the dictator will be defeated and the people enslaved by the Empire will be freed.

Its pretty much the outcomes you'd expect in fiction.
    Last edited by XPac; 02-05-2020 at 06:11 PM.

Incredible Member Vibranium Weave's Avatar

How do you guys post large images? When ever I post a picture it comes out small.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium Weave View Post
    How do you guys post large images? When ever I post a picture it comes out small.
    Copy the image link and paste it in the center of this [IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I think there's a brighter outlook at the end of his arcs. By the end of the first arc the Doras got the freedom they wanted and the Wakandans got the democracy they wanted. Everyone except Tetu and company got what they wanted. It literakky results in a golden age for Wakanda.

This arc isn't over, but I'm pretty sure in the end the dictator will be defeated and the people enslaved by the Empire will be freed.

Its pretty much the outcomes you'd expect in fiction.
    The problem I saw was that these endings never got a proper explanation of them being a problem in the first place so they landed flat. They never showed that being an absolute monarchy was a problem after 10,000 years. The Dora used freedom to mask killing a man who deserved it, but apparently was illegal to do and committing a jail break injuring guards. The story was so frivolous that the ending felt hollow.

More frivolous due to the writer of West Coast Avengers creating a Dora who left, moved to America, and had two children before Tchalla was even King.

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    The problem I saw was that these endings never got a proper explanation of them being a problem in the first place so they landed flat. They never showed that being an absolute monarchy was a problem after 10,000 years. The Dora used freedom to mask killing a man who deserved it, but apparently was illegal to do and committing a jail break injuring guards. The story was so frivolous that the ending felt hollow.

More frivolous due to the writer of West Coast Avengers creating a Dora who left, moved to America, and had two children before Tchalla was even King.
    Outside a few blips here and there like Killmonger, I think it's fair to say the monarchy wasn't really a problem. Overall it did work.

But I think the issue is people want the right to have a say in government even when things aren't terrible (though that particular arc occured at a time Wakanda was going through a rough patch). I would venture to guess most of us on this board would prefer having the right to vote over bit having the right to vote even if we were in a well run absolute monarchy. And that same reasoning simply applies to Wakandans. Its not a western thing or a European thing... Its basic human nature.

As for the Dora's yeah ... they got a huge free pass here. Like Red Hulk or Magneto or Wanda or Bishop or Cyclops, if characters are viable heroes they usually don't see jail time even though by the letter of the law they should. In this case it also ends a civil war, so there was incentive there.
    Last edited by XPac; 02-05-2020 at 07:32 PM.

Outside a few blips here and there like Killmonger, I think it's fair to say the monarchy wasn't really a problem. Overall it did work.

But I think the issue is people want the right to have a say in government even when things aren't terrible (though that particular arc occured at a time Wakanda was going through a rough patch). I would venture to guess most of us on this board would prefer having the right to vote over bit having the right to vote even if we were in a well run absolute monarchy. And that same reasoning simply applies to Wakandans. Its not a western thing or a European thing... Its basic human nature.

As for the Dora's yeah ... they got a huge free pass here. Like Red Hulk or Magneto or Wanda or Bishop or Cyclops, if characters are viable heroes they usually don't see jail time even though by the letter of the law they should. In this case it also ends a civil war, so there was incentive there.

You still have to prove that one way is more effective than the other.

For the bolded, it was a civil war they started. If it can even be called one. Only fight I remember was a squad of HZ attacking them. Tchalla said there were lives lost at some point, but thats' just more of Coates' poor story telling skills.

They are not heroes they are barely Supporting cast. They were simply mouthpieces for Coates agenda.

Coates stories don't end positive because he slumps a lot of isht onto the mythos that T'Challa gets stuck with
    Last edited by Ezyo1000; 02-05-2020 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    They are not heroes they are barely Supporting cast. They were simply mouthpieces for Coates agenda.

Coates stories don't end positive because he slumps a lot of isht onto the mythos that T'Challa gets stuck with
    They've spent pretty much all their time since the first season protecting Wakanda and helping Tchalla fight bad guys. Label that whatever you want, but they're in costumes punching out bad guys in a comic book.

My soliloquy...

A hero is generally the self portrait of the creator!

How you feel, think and believe about yourself reflects in your project even if you are not the original creator of said character!

The problem with a lot of black men in general is that deep down we don't see ourselves as the ultimate hero therefore there is a lag in development rarely seen in white male oriented characters!

The average white fanboy really lives vicariously through Batman, James Bond or Spiderman and will actively cosplay as their favorite character as a child with cape/towel tied around their neck or as a young adult dressed for Comic-con!

When black creators are charged with depicting a valiant black male super hero there can be a slight apprehension that can often self sabotage the vision before it even gets started!

Also... Black men rather than leave the excess baggage of life at the door will drag it into the "Escapism" experience and ruin the high of the fantasy part!

AND... Where as white male counterparts do not hesitate going all in sometimes black males are quietly waiting for the BOOM to be lowered on them expecting the white man to dethrone or derail it before it has a chance to thrive!

Basically in theory many black men are too afraid to cosplay as white men and even Asians (anime) do as an afterthought... Brothas be too COOL to don the spandex let alone spend hours making a suit of armor for comic convention photo ops!

Hence the reason why "Black Comic Books Don't Sell" because the salesman doesn't believe in the actual product itself so the potential fanbase responds accordingly!

The exception was the MCU Black Panther which by default was going to be successful because the prior investment had been made leading all the way to Thanos stamping his passport in Wakanda!

Unlike Blade which stood on it's own MCU Black Panther did have it's hand held by previous MCU installments establishing a pattern of ticket sales that assisted it to record breaking heights and beyond!

The late great Stan Lee called us "True Believers" and it's way past time black males be counted whether inside or outside of the Marvel Universe as legitimate creators with no excuses for success or failure!

Get Hectic!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    Super-heroes are aspirational, by definition.

That's the entire reason they exist. No more and no less.

Super-hero stories are meant to be plausible, not "realistic." It's like the difference between a truth and a fact. Truths need not line up with events or science but facts always must. Super-heroes are about truths, not facts. These characters and universes were never meant to bear the full load of actual realism and they always suffer when people inject it. 100% of the time.
    Thank you for this excellent post.

BANNED

They've spent pretty much all their time since the first season protecting Wakanda and helping Tchalla fight bad guys. Label that whatever you want, but they're in costumes punching out bad guys in a comic book.
    It remains the primary duty of the titular character to protect his people.

Supporting characters whether they are from within the BP mythos or other franchises, can help where the overarching story needs require, but said supporting characters, should never superceded or become more relevant than the primary character in what's supposed to be his SOLO book.

I remain unsure as to what part of this equation, you find hard to come to terms with, when other readers point this out?
    Last edited by Mr MajestiK; 02-06-2020 at 01:33 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FLEX HECTIC View Post
    My soliloquy...

A hero is generally the self portrait of the creator!

How you feel, think and believe about yourself reflects in your project even if you are not the original creator of said character!

The problem with a lot of black men in general is that deep down we don't see ourselves as the ultimate hero therefore there is a lag in development rarely seen in white male oriented characters!

The average white fanboy really lives vicariously through Batman, James Bond or Spiderman and will actively cosplay as their favorite character as a child with cape/towel tied around their neck or as a young adult dressed for Comic-con!

When black creators are charged with depicting a valiant black male super hero there can be a slight apprehension that can often self sabotage the vision before it even gets started!

Also... Black men rather than leave the excess baggage of life at the door will drag it into the "Escapism" experience and ruin the high of the fantasy part!

AND... Where as white male counterparts do not hesitate going all in sometimes black males are quietly waiting for the BOOM to be lowered on them expecting the white man to dethrone or derail it before it has a chance to thrive!

Basically in theory many black men are too afraid to cosplay as white men and even Asians (anime) do as an afterthought... Brothas be too COOL to don the spandex let alone spend hours making a suit of armor for comic convention photo ops!

Hence the reason why "Black Comic Books Don't Sell" because the salesman doesn't believe in the actual product itself so the potential fanbase responds accordingly!

The exception was the MCU Black Panther which by default was going to be successful because the prior investment had been made leading all the way to Thanos stamping his passport in Wakanda!

Unlike Blade which stood on it's own MCU Black Panther did have it's hand held by previous MCU installments establishing a pattern of ticket sales that assisted it to record breaking heights and beyond!

The late great Stan Lee called us "True Believers" and it's way past time black males be counted whether inside or outside of the Marvel Universe as legitimate creators with no excuses for success or failure!

Equal thanks to you for posting this slice of much needed reality for all posters to digest regardless of ethnicity, gender or orientation.

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    [/B]

Only fight I remember was a squad of HZ attacking them.
    they lost to about 5 HZ until zenzi saved them lol

God this book has been a disaster for a long long long time.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Incredible Member Vibranium Weave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KingNomarch View Post
    Copy the image link and paste it in the center of this [IMG][/IMG]
    Thank you for this