Page 46 of 59 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748495056 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I think the idea behind this line is fantastic. Rather than warp the classic DC characters into something they are not, Didio realised that they should have simply created new characters instead.

However, I must admit to being skeptical of these books' chances of success. Terrifics and Immortal Men are the only two that sound interesting to me, but those two already seem doomed. If this is meant to be artist focused comics similar to early Marvel, that feels like a mistake when clearly these artists aren't going to last very long on most of these books (Reis is already moving on to Superman, and Jim Lee is too busy to maintain a monthly schedule).

I'm sure you guys have heard these concerns before, but have the comics released thus far been worth getting excited for? None of the previews at the back of the comics have not grabbed me. Am I missing out of anything special here?
    Well, I really like The Silencer, so much that I went to my LCS to put in place an automatic preorder of all the issues (from the five or so series of this line I wanted to pull there, I've only take the first three for Brimstone, the Unexpected and Immortal Men, and the whole six-issues mini New Challengers). Silencer is pretty much classic in its tropes (deadly assassin now lives a normal life) but with enough twists to actually make really interesting to me (the absolute badass is a woman with a husband and a son she loves dearly and she won't stop at nothing to protect them and her life with them). Kind of John Wick but with a Polynesian woman as the lead... And I freaking love love Jonh Wick. I highly recommend reading the two intervies I posted just above on this page for The Silencer, Abnett and Romita do a great job explaining all of this better than me. It's even implied that JRJR should return to the series sooner or later, so I guess all the other artists will do the same, if the series are long enough.

I also love Damage. I was less hooked in, but when the issue came to a close, I did want to see what would happen next, so I think it's rather good. Just the idea of Task Force XL with Parasite, Grundy, Giganta and other heavy hitters fighting a Hulk-like character is intertaining to me, after all.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

I think the idea behind this line is fantastic. Rather than warp the classic DC characters into something they are not, Didio realised that they should have simply created new characters instead.

However, I must admit to being skeptical of these books' chances of success. Terrifics and Immortal Men are the only two that sound interesting to me, but those two already seem doomed. If this is meant to be artist focused comics similar to early Marvel, that feels like a mistake when clearly these artists aren't going to last very long on most of these books (Reis is already moving on to Superman, and Jim Lee is too busy to maintain a monthly schedule).

I'm sure you guys have heard these concerns before, but have the comics released thus far been worth getting excited for? None of the previews at the back of the comics have not grabbed me. Am I missing out of anything special here?
    To each their own I guess. Personally, I'm finding most of these books far more intriguing to me than the bulk of DCs current books are. I enjoyed both Silencer and Damage and I'm looking forward to the rest of these minus Immortal Men. I love the premise of that one but I heavily dislike Tynion's writing so its a hard pass.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    . . . I'm looking forward to the rest of these minus Immortal Men. I love the premise of that one but I heavily dislike Tynion's writing so its a hard pass.
    Even though I generally stay away from Tynion, I'm giving Immortal Men a try for at least an issue (based on Ghost Fist; a character that was a hero in 1920s Harlem is too tempting for me).

Fantastic Member

Tynion is one of my favorite writers so i’m definitely getting Immortal Men.

Fantastic Member

Tynion’s style is a bit dull for me but I like the concept of Immortal Men and will give it a fair shot for sure.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Even though I generally stay away from Tynion, I'm giving Immortal Men a try for at least an issue (based on Ghost Fist; a character that was a hero in 1920s Harlem is too tempting for me).
    Like I said, to each their own. I've given Tynion several chances and the last straw for me with him was Detective. I love the premise and the characters he is using but frankly the execution leaves a lot to be desired. Immortal Men, like Detective, sounds appealing on paper but since I'm expecting the execution to stink based on the several other books of his I've tried I'm not going to even bother.

That being said though I do hope the book finds an audience that enjoys the heck out of it. Just because I've never enjoyed much of his work doesn't mean that I want this book to fail or that I don't think other people deserve to enjoy it.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 02-05-2018 at 10:21 AM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Extraordinary Member

I'v been up and down on this line. I loved the idea of a new line of characters and that got me back into thinking of buying single issues. The role the artists were playing also got me very intrigued as it is an arrangement I wish was much more common in (Big 2) comics.

The news that the artists are not sticking around turned me off the line.

However, after looking over every thing else that DC/Marvel are offering, I'm probably more intrigued by the potential that these new characters bring and am back on board giving them a chance.

It is just a shame that something I find a lot of the other publishers have (i.e., commited artist/writer team) won't be happening here in a Big 2 main universe line.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    To each their own I guess. Personally, I'm finding most of these books far more intriguing to me than the bulk of DCs current books are. I enjoyed both Silencer and Damage and I'm looking forward to the rest of these minus Immortal Men. I love the premise of that one but I heavily dislike Tynion's writing so its a hard pass.
    This may just be me, but I liked what I saw and read from their preview so far, if that's worth anything.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    That is also what convinced me to give it a shot

Sideways preview

https://nerdist.com/dc-comics-sidewa...usive-preview/

I'm gonna reiterate that I love the art and love the costume of Sideways.

I just love teen heroes.

I thought we were gonna get the cliche of Derek liking the hot twin but later on liking the tomboy one or Ernie always having liked him as he secretly pined away at her sister, and I guess we could still get the other cliche of Derek liking his best friend or vice versa, but I'll just appreciate the fact that so far based on the preview there is no love triangle.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

Whoa, I love this preview. So Derek isn't just able to sidesteps between places and all, he has enhanced strength and resistance. And someone to be his Alfred (albeit, a younger and less bald Alfred). I really like it. Plus the art is killing it, as we probably all knew it would.
    Last edited by Korath; 02-10-2018 at 10:21 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Whoa, I love this preview. So Derek isn't just able to sidesteps between places and all, he has enhanced strength and resistance. And someone to be his ALfred (albeit, a younger and less blad Alfred). I really like it. Plus the art is killing it, as we probably all knew it would.
    Him having enhanced physical abilities makes sense, and potentially explains his physique quite nicely. Ernestine being the source of the impeccably cool yet convenient costume of his also makes all of the sense, and I'm glad (you can even see a sowing machine in the last page). She also seems to be the close friend-confidant of Derek's (an aside, but from the looks of things so far, Derek doesn't have any male friends, or any other friends for that matter).

Also, once more, he plays the whole "masked head is bald, unmasked has heafull of hair" thing straight. Not sure why I'm only just now noticing something like that.

I know some of these characters are only lasting for at the very least a half of year but I'll post this interview about Sideways here anyway.

https://www.newsarama.com/38626-dc-c...on-s-role.html
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

Fantastic Member

The fact that Didio says “There is no Sideways series without Kenneth, without a doubt.” makes me hopeful that he’ll be sticking around after 3 issues, unlike Daniel and JRJR.

Edit: looking forward to going to the shop and picking up issue #1 today
    Last edited by soundsci; 02-14-2018 at 09:40 AM.

The two I'm waiting on are:

Terrifics #1, currently due out Feb. 28th

and

Immortal Men #1, currently due out April 11th.

Just have to see if I even still have any possible interest in Immortal Men come April . . .