Page 41 of 77 FirstFirst ... 3137383940414243444551 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Kilmonger was right in his philosophy and ideals but his execution of them was flawed. Once he started using destabilizing tactics on Wakanda you knew he was evil. He was too broken to fix the things he wanted to.

But T'Challa grew as a character and by then end he began to implement some of Kilmonger's ideas in a more practical way.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackbolt396 View Post
    If you Want to understand why people sympathize with him look at history , specifically American history.
    Quote Originally Posted by hulahulk View Post
    Understanding someone's motivations is different than sympathizing for that person.
    This. Exactly. I understand his motives but I don't sympathize with them any more than I would sympathize with a radical Islamist, a Whiet Supremicist or a Nazi. Both might have reasons for why they are like they are but that certainly doesn't mean I sympathize with them or their reactionary and violent beliefs.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Again you are conflating everything. This has the effect of dismissing his entire character when the movie clearly takes pains to do the opposite. The text is clear. The structure is two similar characters growing up in different circumstances. One with his heritage one denied it. They are the same person deep down. We are supposed to reflect on how they could be swapped out at birth and nothing else would change. T'Challa could have been a black ops assassin wanting the world to pay for its crimes.
    Again, I'm not dismissing him on a thematic level - though I certainly quibble with the idea that T'Challa and him are "deep down the same" - on which level he was undoubtedly interesting. I do not think he was remotely charismatic, let alone likable. And, again, understanding where he's coming from doesn't change the fact, beyond his rotten childhood, I don't sympathize with him in any way, shape or form and find his beliefs reprehensible.

What, he's the first bad guy to find justifications for his actions?
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

BANNED

Michael B Jordan is a star

I certainly understood the how and why of Killmonger, I also understand that his death is what pushes T'Challa to get Wakanda out on the world stage and "do better"

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    Again, I'm not dismissing him on a thematic level - though I certainly quibble with the idea that T'Challa and him are "deep down the same" - on which level he was undoubtedly interesting. I do not think he was remotely charismatic, let alone likable. And, again, understanding where he's coming from doesn't change the fact, beyond his rotten childhood, I don't sympathize with him in any way, shape or form and find his beliefs reprehensible.
    See the problem here is you are talking personally. It is an objective fact that he is filmed, written and acted as a charismatic man. Just because you personally don't feel drawn to him doesn't make it false. The camera angles and the way he is filmed, the choice of actor, his clothes, hair, scars, competence, the way he smiles as he walks towards the camera, these are all artistic choices intended to convey things about him. They are there in the film, embedded in the art. It makes no sense to deny them.

they could have chosen anyone for the role. They chose Michael B Jordan. An undeniably and objectively attractive guy.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 02-18-2018 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    Love how M'Baku and his tribe are vegetarians.
    Lol that whole scene was funny. M'Baku and Shuri had great comedic timing with theyre few jokes. Thats said Mbaku is the only one whos accent felt a little shakey. Itsvmore then good enough but it seemed to come and go a little while everyone elses was rock solid.

Side note i loved Tchakas Black Panther costume.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    See the problem here is you are talking personally. It is an objective fact that he is filmed, written and acted as a charismatic man. Just because you personally don't feel drawn to him doesn't make it false. The camera angles and the way he is filmed, the choice of actor, his clothes, hair, scars, competence, the way he smiles as he walks towards the camera, these are all artistic choices intended to convey things about him. They are there in the film, embedded in the art. It makes no sense to deny them.

they could have chosen anyone for the role. They chose Michael B Jordan. An undeniably and objectively attractive guy.
    But my problem is that I'm not seeing the charisma at all on screen. Part of it is that I'm sick of the angry black man stereotype, it's true, but even "objectively", I'm just not seeing that on film. And if the intention of the film is to portray that then, from where I'm sitting, it failed miserably.

Yes, obviously Jordan is attractive and I have liked his elsewhere (Creed, in particular) but the character he is playing simply sin't charismatic. Good looks alone certainly don't guarantee charisma - especially when that person is of a sex you're not naturally attracted to.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Killmonger's dad was a Wakandan war dog who became radicalized when he saw how badly black people were treated in america and other countries
    His dad raised his son to be radicalized just like him but also revere wakanda
    When T'chaka killed his father he lost that influence and became colored even more by the plight of african americans
    The being left on the streets part wasn't that particularly bad since he managed to graduate from MIT and become a Navy Seal which is more than some people ever manage with no father figure

Saying Killmonger was selfish is ignoring literally everything about his backstory and ignoring all his dialogue and only focusing on the "bad" things he did
    The thing is that being from Africa his father should have cared more about worse things that happen there.

Modern-day slavery

The "current wave" of slavery in Sudan reportedly began in 1983 with the Second Sudanese Civil War between the North and South. It involved large numbers of "African" Sudanese, "primarily the Dinka, Nuer and Nuba of central Sudan," being captured and sold "(or exploited in other ways)" by Northern Sudanese "Arabs".[11][12] The problem of slavery reportedly became worse after the National Islamic Front-backed military government took power in 1989, the Khartoum government declared jihad against non-Muslim opposition in the south.[13] The Baggara were also given freedom "to kill these groups, loot their wealth, capture slaves, expel the rest from the territories, and forcefully settle their lands."[14]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_Sudan

If he wanted to mad at the US then he should be mad at Obama & Hillary for blowing up Libya and the slave trade starting up again in the aftermath.

http://time.com/5042560/libya-slave-trade/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    The thing is that being from Africa his father should have cared more about worse things that happen there.

Modern-day slavery

The "current wave" of slavery in Sudan reportedly began in 1983 with the Second Sudanese Civil War between the North and South. It involved large numbers of "African" Sudanese, "primarily the Dinka, Nuer and Nuba of central Sudan," being captured and sold "(or exploited in other ways)" by Northern Sudanese "Arabs".[11][12] The problem of slavery reportedly became worse after the National Islamic Front-backed military government took power in 1989, the Khartoum government declared jihad against non-Muslim opposition in the south.[13] The Baggara were also given freedom "to kill these groups, loot their wealth, capture slaves, expel the rest from the territories, and forcefully settle their lands."[14]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_Sudan

If he wanted to mad at the US then he should be mad at Obama & Hillary for blowing up Libya and the slave trade starting up again in the aftermath.

http://time.com/5042560/libya-slave-trade/
    the MCU doesn't have real world politicians

the last POTUS seen on MCU and I assume he is still president is President Ellis (played by James Sadler), last seen in Iron Man 3

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    the MCU doesn't have real world politicians

the last POTUS seen on MCU and I assume he is still president is President Ellis (played by James Sadler), last seen in Iron Man 3
    Still are we to assume that the Sudanese civil war and Arabs enslaving blacks for 22 years did not happen in the MCU?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    Still are we to assume that the Sudanese civil war and Arabs enslaving blacks for 22 years did not happen in the MCU?
    couldn't tell you

Astonishing Member

Did it actually happen? Honest question.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    Did it actually happen? Honest question.
    Yes, see the link above.

Mighty Member

Awesome movie. Wonder how long Bucky had been awoke??

Quote Originally Posted by tabo61 View Post
    Awesome movie. Wonder how long Bucky had been awoke??
    I wonder if Bucky will end up being a regular on the mcu BP mythos or if this is just a one shot appearance leading into Infinity War.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I wonder if Bucky will end up being a regular on the mcu BP mythos or if this is just a one shot appearance leading into Infinity War.
    Id have to guess one shot, its the one safe place to put him