Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Oh yeah, it's definitely not a hard and fast cataloging system. Zatanna for example; she's high-tier but if a regular dude sneaks up behind her with a crowbar, Zee's getting knocked out.

But it works well enough for generalizations I think.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Oh yeah, it's definitely not a hard and fast cataloging system. Zatanna for example; she's high-tier but if a regular dude sneaks up behind her with a crowbar, Zee's getting knocked out.

But it works well enough for generalizations I think.
    Zatanna and most magic users for that matter, tend to be “glass canons,” in that they pooled all their points into powerful ranged attacks and have very little in the way of defensive abilities. Some extremely high end magic users have been shown to be able to create force fields, but those fields are almost always shown to be somewhat week when confronted by the brute force of high tier and god tier attacks.

Overall most magic users are high mid tier or low high tier.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I used to contemplate an extra category for "specialized" powers. Very nifty, useful, specific powers that don't necessarily fit every context. I wanted to chuck the Atom in there, Zatanna might fit too. It's not ordinary hand-to-hand. But that probably just muddles things further.

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    A pretty accurate breakdown of comic book power tiers. There are some exceptions to this rule I can think of like Cyborg or Iron Man over at Marvel but otherwise your list is a good baseline.
    I love his leveling system.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    A pretty accurate breakdown of comic book power tiers. There are some exceptions to this rule I can think of like Cyborg or Iron Man over at Marvel but otherwise your list is a good baseline.
    I like this tiering system as well. Thing about characters like Cyborg or Iron Man (or even Dr. Strange, for that matter), is that they've migrated between categories over time (or at least, within the upper and lower limits of their tiers). If you go back to NTT #1, or Tales of Suspense #39, those characters' abilities are way lower than what we see today.

For that matter, S&S' Superman began as a Mid-tier character. Early on, he got gobsmacked by a hand-grenade, and was so woozy he was actually unable to prevent soldiers from hoisting him up in front of a wall for execution before snapping out of it. Not too many years later, he was shrugging off nuclear detonations and blowing out stars like birthday candles.

Another character I found hard to place was Deadman. He only possess one ability but that one ability lends itself to so many possibilities.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    Another character I found hard to place was Deadman. He only possess one ability but that one ability lends itself to so many possibilities.
    Yeah, there has to be a Special Circumstances category. As Mathew101281 points out, Zatanna and Dr. Strange are utter nightmares for an enemy, unless said enemy manages to blow a handful of cayenne pepper in their face.

Huh, never thought of Deadman.

I'm guessing....low-tier? His stealth abilities make him DC's greatest eavesdropper, assuming no one can see ghosts, but his ability to possess people is largely useful only to the extent that the person he possesses is useful.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Yeah, there has to be a Special Circumstances category. As Mathew101281 points out, Zatanna and Dr. Strange are utter nightmares for an enemy, unless said enemy manages to blow a handful of cayenne pepper in their face.
    I think there could be value in something like that, sure. But I think it could get out of hand real fast too.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I was thinking about posting the link to the my Tier system, just to see where everyone stands...if you guys wanna give it a try.

Might add a couple more popular characters from the Titans/JSA/Young Justice and maybe some villains. Maybe, a dozen or so...don't want to many on the list.

Extraordinary Member

I would say Deadman's at the level of whoever he's possessing. So if it's Superman, then...

I was thinking about posting the link to the my Tier system, just to see where everyone stands...if you guys wanna give it a try.

Might add a couple more popular characters from the Titans/JSA/Young Justice and maybe some villains. Maybe, a dozen or so...don't want to many on the list.
    I say go for it. Tons of people will quibble worse than what we've seen here, but it'd be interesting to focus on.

And if you want to use anything from my tier system feel free.

If you're going to do more characters, maybe organize it by group so it's easier to follow. You've already got a lot of people on your list, if you add more the images might become too small to recognize easily. So perhaps break it into separate lists; the League and related characters, the Titans, the villains, etc.

~ Black Panther.

Having a hard time getting the chart up...only want to be used on Twitter.

Seeing if I can find another way...

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    I would say Deadman's at the level of whoever he's possessing. So if it's Superman, then...
    But can he, in his own right, possess ‘a villain’ and then have that villain release the hostages and discard his weapon and obligingly tie himself up or whatever?

Quote Originally Posted by ScottSloane View Post
    But can he, in his own right, possess ‘a villain’ and then have that villain release the hostages and discard his weapon and obligingly tie himself up or whatever?
    Now that I think about it, Deadman is DC's Rogue.

BANNED

Deadman is already dead. You cant physically beat the guy.