Page 558 of 590 FirstFirst ... 58458508548554555556557558559560561562568 ... LastLast
Results 8,356 to 8,370 of 8841
    Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

It seems that everyone in the movie except Scott is peed with Xavier.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 09-28-2018 at 10:29 PM.

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    Here is part of the reason for the delay.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/f...it-1202961650/
    Honestly, I find that really encouraging. It still sucks that I have to wait that much longer to see the movie, but at least it seems that there's confidence in it, at least according to the article. The timing for the delay was still horrific.

As for my comments about the "superhero bubble," nothing lasts forever. That's true in life, and it's certainly true in entertainment. I've been enjoying the heck outta the last 20 years of superhero cinema and I love that it's made such an impact on the pop cultural psyche; however, the general audience will eventually tire of it and want something else. It could be next year, or it could be 15 years from now. But it will happen at some point. I don't think it will result in an all-out collapse, but I do think there'll be a sizable reduction in the number of these films that come out each year unless there's more variation in the types of films put out.

And that's really the only thing, creatively speaking, that scares me about the Disney/Fox merger. Since Phase 2, most of the MCU movies have started feeling really same-y. Sure, there's been some variations (Black Panther and Infinity War, mainly, which is encouraging since those were good), but a lot of them have felt too damn similar. I'm not claiming there's some Marvel "formula," but there's definitely a Marvel "feel." I don't think it's incendiary to say that. And when you absorb another franchise that had really been striving to do different kinds of projects, even if it was out of necessity, only to homogenize them with your feel (which is what will happen to the X-Men, we'll see if that's for better or worse in due time), it takes that much cinematic variety away from the audience and could expedite their getting bored/tired of this particular genre.

The only reason I think it might happen after Avengers 4 is because Marvel's been building to this since they started making their own movies 10 years ago, and, unless they have a heckuva good pitch for phase 4, I think a lot of people will walk out of A4 and say, "Well, that was a wild ride. Now let's do something else." Plus, we don't know what the (expected) mass departure of original members (Evans, RDJ, Hemsworth, etc.) will have on the audience, and we don't know if their replacements will keep people interested.

There's no science or even a real reason behind my thought process here: I just have a bad feeling that things are gonna start going south for us (comic book movie fans) sooner rather than later. The clock's ticking, and our social attention span is smaller than ever.

I really don't mean all that to be as alarmist as it may sound: just thinking out loud.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Robards, Comic Fan View Post
    Honestly, I find that really encouraging. It still sucks that I have to wait that much longer to see the movie, but at least it seems that there's confidence in it, at least according to the article. The timing for the delay was still horrific.

As for my comments about the "superhero bubble," nothing lasts forever. That's true in life, and it's certainly true in entertainment. I've been enjoying the heck outta the last 20 years of superhero cinema and I love that it's made such an impact on the pop cultural psyche; however, the general audience will eventually tire of it and want something else. It could be next year, or it could be 15 years from now. But it will happen at some point. I don't think it will result in an all-out collapse, but I do think there'll be a sizable reduction in the number of these films that come out each year unless there's more variation in the types of films put out.

And that's really the only thing, creatively speaking, that scares me about the Disney/Fox merger. Since Phase 2, most of the MCU movies have started feeling really same-y. Sure, there's been some variations (Black Panther and Infinity War, mainly, which is encouraging since those were good), but a lot of them have felt too damn similar. I'm not claiming there's some Marvel "formula," but there's definitely a Marvel "feel." I don't think it's incendiary to say that. And when you absorb another franchise that had really been striving to do different kinds of projects, even if it was out of necessity, only to homogenize them with your feel (which is what will happen to the X-Men, we'll see if that's for better or worse in due time), it takes that much cinematic variety away from the audience and could expedite their getting bored/tired of this particular genre.

The only reason I think it might happen after Avengers 4 is because Marvel's been building to this since they started making their own movies 10 years ago, and, unless they have a heckuva good pitch for phase 4, I think a lot of people will walk out of A4 and say, "Well, that was a wild ride. Now let's do something else." Plus, we don't know what the (expected) mass departure of original members (Evans, RDJ, Hemsworth, etc.) will have on the audience, and we don't know if their replacements will keep people interested.

There's no science or even a real reason behind my thought process here: I just have a bad feeling that things are gonna start going south for us (comic book movie fans) sooner rather than later. The clock's ticking, and our social attention span is smaller than ever.

I really don't mean all that to be as alarmist as it may sound: just thinking out loud.
    I heard your thoughts, you should think out louder because everything you said rings true to me. Nothing Holds for X-Men when they get the marvel feel. Creatively speaking you cannot help but get the bad feeling. Star Wars puts the deja vu in motion. Another franchise that got the marvel feel and crumbled faster than light. For me I think the superhero bubble is already burst. many just don't see it or many don't want to admit it yet but it will be made crystal clear when the MCU X-men comes out and everyone realise it is just another MCU movie and we have had so much better. it will be become beyond official the superhero bubble is burst.

Fox should save themselves some respect and just tell people it is over. The last film in their cannon series was Logan/Deadpool 2. Ironically Logan, was a movie that breathe new life to superhero movies. A movie that is about to become a thorn for future X-Men movies homogenized after the disney/fox merger. I have said it already, I feel sorry for the first director making X-Men movies , so much to live up to. the standard is beyond high and that is if he does not quit half way through production.
    Last edited by Hall; 09-28-2018 at 11:28 PM.

BANNED

Every since there has been a TV, people have loved to watch sports. Comedies and action films have been popular since the debut of films.

If you're going to present something as fact, you need to be able to back it up with something real or otherwise it completely doesn't matter. I have a feeling means nothing. Facts on the other hand are pretty important.

If the box office sales for superhero films have actually dropped, that would be evidence. But having been around for decades, there's no numerical evidence suggesting anyone is tired of superhero films.

You've no proof anything will happen after Avengers 4.

Don't be one of those people who make up unsubstantiated rumors.

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Every since there has been a TV, people have loved to watch sports. Comedies and action films have been popular since the debut of films.

If you're going to present something as fact, you need to be able to back it up with something real or otherwise it completely doesn't matter. I have a feeling means nothing. Facts on the other hand are pretty important.

If the box office sales for superhero films have actually dropped, that would be evidence. But having been around for decades, there's no numerical evidence suggesting anyone is tired of superhero films.

Box Office sales is similar to WWE. Everyone knows it is not real but we watch it. Disney will always have an audience, but the impact of their comic movies has beyond diminished. I saw this quick take of Tom Hardy. they asked him about the MCU connection to Venom, he replied that he rather stand alone. That is a good sign the superhero bubble is burst. Just because a movie keeps making money doesn't mean they are actually relevant. I get this sense many are beginning to distance themselves from Marvel comic movies. Tom Hardy let me know, I am not crazy to think so. It's a shame many are going to be so brutal towards Venom deserved or not.
    Last edited by Hall; 09-28-2018 at 11:42 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post

I'm on your side.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hall View Post
    Box Office sales is similar to WWE. Everyone knows it is not real but we watch it. Disney will always have an audience, but the impact of their comic movies has beyond diminished. I saw this quick take of Tom Hardy. they asked him about the MCU connection to Venom, he replied that he rather stand alone. That is a good sign the superhero bubble is burst. Just because a movie keeps making money doesn't mean they are actually relevant. I get this sense many are beginning to distance themselves from Marvel comic movies. Tom Hardy let me know, I am not crazy to think so. It's a shame many are going to be so brutal towards Venom deserved or not.
    That's ridiculous, movies are making more money than ever, and everyone and their grandmas wants to make more cinematic universes to milk some of that money. It's just you having a hunch, no real evidence to back it up, marvel is making more money than ever, hell even more than star wars atm, box office is very real, you can't fake those or the government will sue you to hell, if you hate the MCU so much and want to see it fail be honest about it, but give up that intellectual dishonesty of the "superhero bubble", if anything more studios will try to get a piece of the pie and fail, while the studio with good to decent movies will prevail (marvel)

I don’t think the superhero bubble is going to burst anytime soon, but I also worry about homogenization. Marvel films have a feel to them, Fox films have a different feel to them. I think Marvel overall makes better movies, but i’m going to miss having both of those feels around.
    Last edited by Psyknight; 09-29-2018 at 12:14 AM.

The superhero genre is too diverse to burst. It is not even a genre technically, which actually helps its longevity and keeps it fresh and dynamic.

I was very concerned about MCU absorbing the X-Men but after Black Panther, some of those concerns have been put to rest. It also seems that the success of Wonder Woman in particular has fired up Kevin Feige to take greater risks so that competition scores as few "firsts" as possible.

I also feel good about WB/DC's new direction with their films. Sony is in a super weird place right now but some of their upcoming projects like Into the Spider-Verse and Silk have potential.

I think the superhero genre is good for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    The superhero genre is too diverse to burst. It is not even a genre technically, which actually helps its longevity and keeps it fresh and dynamic.

I was very concerned about MCU absorbing the X-Men but after Black Panther, some of those concerns have been put to rest. It also seems that the success of Wonder Woman in particular has fired up Kevin Feige to take greater risks so that competition scores as few "firsts" as possible.

I also feel good about WB/DC's new direction with their films. Sony is in a super weird place right now but some of their upcoming projects like Into the Spider-Verse and Silk have potential.

Here's something I thought I would never say. That Venom movie is kind of starting to look very interesting. I still don't think it'll be good, but I don't think it'll a disaster that I had initially thought it would be.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Seems like it may not be true. Found this on reddit. Seems it was all to save Alita from flopping.

https://np.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/co...AR&sh=ea552ee7

This poster made an interesting point. Which is what I thought earlier.

They know that Alita is gonna flop everywhere but Asia, the only market where the film has a genuine shot. It would make sense for them to pick a date that would give them the biggest potential Asian audience, and the time around Chinese New Year is best. Dark Phoenix is the sacrifial lamb, they needed the date for Alita more than they needed Dark Phoenix to succeed. And since Feige is 100% scrapping the X Men and starting over, the success of the X Men property no longer matters as much as the Alita property, as they probably want to create a new franchise with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post

Black Panther has some resemblance to X-Men movies but without the much needed details that makes X-Men so good and MCU not so good. Black Panther is only comparable to Wonder Woman. Movies celebrated and should be celebrated for defying the standard zone of white male leading characters. If Black Panther was a X-Men film, that wont really matter and the truth will be...we have had better films.
    X-Men 1
    x-men-xavier-magneto.jpg

X-Men First Class
    x-lincoln.jpg

What more can anyone say about Sir Ian Mckellen and Patrick Stewart as Xavier and Magneto. they redefined pop culture friendships that even poured into a real life bromance for the actors over the years.

Also, don't you see the irony that Black Panther pretty much lifted many xmen plot points and admitted it? A lot of times you can't do better than who you are trying to take from. Black Panther was not the first to try, Inhumans did try. Both failed at it where it matters most.
    Last edited by Hall; 09-29-2018 at 12:58 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    Didn’t Cassandra Nova take over the body of a shape shifting alien that was connected to the Shi’ra in that run?
    No, she was neutralised by (in part) being trapped in the body of a shape-shifting alien Shi'ar agent that had infiltrated the School.
    Nova then spent some years (decades?) being rehabilitated as Ernst (which somehow got retconned out after Morrison left)...
    Last edited by Carabas; 09-29-2018 at 12:59 AM.

BANNED

I see CB movies & superheroes in particular, with their own overarching themes & ready-made tropes, as source material that can be applied to already eXisting, established genres. There will be ebbs & flows of course, as there always has been, with anything & everything of the sort. I would say if there is cause for concern, it lies with the potential for oversaturation.
    Last edited by Heroine Addict; 09-29-2018 at 03:54 AM.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wano View Post
    There it is, Storm and Kurt joined Magneto

Who is that woman on the right suppose to be???
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================