Page 559 of 590 FirstFirst ... 59459509549555556557558559560561562563569 ... LastLast
Results 8,371 to 8,385 of 8841

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    Who is that woman on the right suppose to be???
    Lmfao. This thread has gotten so many replies, that the article I linked to the reveal of that character has been buried.

Storm, Red Lotus, Beast, Magneto, Nightcrawler, and Selene.
    Psylocke Captain Britain Rictor Dust Moonstar Hellion

Has there ever been a case of release date changing in less than 48 hours after the first trailer dropped?

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    Who is that woman on the right suppose to be???
    She looks like Callisto from X3. Jessica Chastain's character is replacing the Hellfire Club's role (Emma and Mastermind). I doubt it would be Selene.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Robards, Comic Fan View Post

As for my comments about the "superhero bubble," nothing lasts forever. That's true in life, and it's certainly true in entertainment. I've been enjoying the heck outta the last 20 years of superhero cinema and I love that it's made such an impact on the pop cultural psyche; however, the general audience will eventually tire of it and want something else. It could be next year, or it could be 15 years from now. But it will happen at some point. I don't think it will result in an all-out collapse, but I do think there'll be a sizable reduction in the number of these films that come out each year unless there's more variation in the types of films put out.
    You are so right! I hope studio execs wake up and realize they need to slow down with the releases and introduce more variety in the tones of the films and genres they borrow from.

No one has talked about international audiences - which is where 60% of the profits come from for most of these movies. And that's an audience that has zero exposure to the comics.

I grew up in Europe and I realize my own experiences don't reflect how these movies are received around the globe (especially since the Asian market is a huge part of the international box office), but Marvel comics are a very niche thing abroad. They're hard to find. . Even after the success of the MCU actually reading the comics is something only the biggest fans do. Last time I visited (2015), MCU toys were everywhere but I didn't see any bookstore carrying the comics. The frame of reference for Marvel and DC heros entirely comes from cartoons that were syndicated throughout the 90s.

I lived in France when Sam Raimi's Spiderman movies came out - they were a huge hit. Everyone knew who SpiderMan was thanks to the cartoons that had never stopped being on TV and that were the 'star' of the Saturday morning lineup along with Batman. X-Men coming out in 2000 was a different story since TAS was the only type of X-Men media people had been exposed to, and it was always overshadowed by Batman, Spiderman, Ninja Turtles and Power Rangers. TAS did ok on TV and I think they had reruns of the show and also showed Evolution once, but moviegoers who were too old to watch cartoons in the 90s, or who watched another channel's lineup had no clue who the X-Men were.

I'm trying to find info about which countries showed TAS on TV and it seems like the only Asian country in which the show was in TV is Japan. I guess the specifics don't matter - the point is, Marvel comics never were a thing abroad and international box office success of superhero movies entirely depends on marketing, lack of competition, and the audience's familiarity with cartoon characters. Disney has done an excellent job with marketing MCU movies and timing the releases so far.

But there definitely is some superhero fatigue setting in abroad. I still have family in France and Greece (lots of cousins in their teens and 20s). We've talked about some of the MCU releases and there is this feeling that for them it's just another big movie being released...there's no excitation about it, no real knowledge of who the characters are, no real understanding of how the movies fits within the larger shared universe. My younger relatives are aware that there are Marvel and DC superheros, but the ones over 30 think it's all part of the same franchise. But they end up seeing the movie because it's the blockbuster of the month...and there is no other big release packed with action and special effects, and because it's a fun movie you can go see with your kid. I think there definitely are some international fans who are a lot more engaged with the MCU and other superhero movies, but I feel that general audience would totally go see other types of movies if there were other big releases to compete with MCU movies.

The way I see it, it's just a matter of time before profits start slowing down at the international box office as releases become more frequent and more obscure characters are used in movies. The kids absolutely love the movies and the toys, but I don't know what will happen when they grow up. Disney might be able to keep things going by appealing to their nostalgia, but they might get fed up with the genre and move on to something else the minute another studio comes up with a new concept for big action-packed movies.
    Last edited by Rover; 09-29-2018 at 05:12 AM.

People mention fears the X-Men will be homogenized but they already are they all look the same outside of Logan, Deadpool films, and First Class.

As for story it's been the same for every single one Magneto or Shadowy Secret Government Cabal sometimes both. The only 3 so far not to go for that is First Class but Shaw was Prototype Magneto, the Wolverine, and Apocalypse but every other film involves Magneto or Shadow Government Cabal as the villains from X-Men 2000 to Now.

Out of 11 films 3 didn't have the same type villains and really it's 2 again Shaw was just a prototype for Magneto and 4 had their own look. As for ratings only 3 are R rated rest PG-13. If this isn't a Hollywood homogenized product then I don't know what is.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    You are so right! I hope studio execs wake up and realize they need to slow down with the releases and introduce more variety in the tones of the films and genres they borrow from.

No one has talked about international audiences - which is where 60% of the profits come from for most of these movies. And that's an audience that has zero exposure to the comics.

I grew up in Europe and I realize my own experiences don't reflect how these movies are received around the globe (especially since the Asian market is a huge part of the international box office), but Marvel comics are a very niche thing abroad. They're hard to find. . Even after the success of the MCU actually reading the comics is something only the biggest fans do. Last time I visited (2015), MCU toys were everywhere but I didn't see any bookstore carrying the comics. The frame of reference for Marvel and DC heros entirely comes from cartoons that were syndicated throughout the 90s.

I lived in France when Sam Raimi's Spiderman movies came out - they were a huge hit. Everyone knew who SpiderMan was thanks to the cartoons that had never stopped being on TV and that were the 'star' of the Saturday morning lineup along with Batman. X-Men coming out in 2000 was a different story since TAS was the only type of X-Men media people had been exposed to, and it was always overshadowed by Batman, Spiderman, Ninja Turtles and Power Rangers. TAS did ok on TV and I think they had reruns of the show and also showed Evolution once, but moviegoers who were too old to watch cartoons in the 90s, or who watched another channel's lineup had no clue who the X-Men were.

I'm trying to find info about which countries showed TAS on TV and it seems like the only Asian country in which the show was in TV is Japan. I guess the specifics don't matter - the point is, Marvel comics never were a thing abroad and international box office success of superhero movies entirely depends on marketing, lack of competition, and the audience's familiarity with cartoon characters. Disney has done an excellent job with marketing MCU movies and timing the releases so far.

But there definitely is some superhero fatigue setting in abroad. I still have family in France and Greece (lots of cousins in their teens and 20s). We've talked about some of the MCU releases and there is this feeling that for them it's just another big movie being released...there's no excitation about it, no real knowledge of who the characters are, no real understanding of how the movies fits within the larger shared universe. My younger relatives are aware that there are Marvel and DC superheros, but the ones over 30 think it's all part of the same franchise. But they end up seeing the movie because it's the blockbuster of the month...and there is no other big release packed with action and special effects, and because it's a fun movie you can go see with your kid. I think there definitely are some international fans who are a lot more engaged with the MCU and other superhero movies, but I feel that general audience would totally go see other types of movies if there were other big releases to compete with MCU movies.

The way I see it, it's just a matter of time before profits start slowing down at the international box office as releases become more frequent and more obscure characters are used in movies. The kids absolutely love the movies and the toys, but I don't know what will happen when they grow up. Disney might be able to keep things going by appealing to their nostalgia, but they might get fed up with the genre and move on to something else the minute another studio comes up with a new concept for big action-packed movies.
    This is all laughable. Marvel studios has been successful because they make quality films. People see them because they know this. No one knew who the Guardians were until Marvel Studios released a quality movie about them. People have been predicting/wishing for Marvels decline for years now but Marvel just keeps on cleaning up.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    Seems like it may not be true. Found this on reddit. Seems it was all to save Alita from flopping.

https://np.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/co...AR&sh=ea552ee7

This poster made an interesting point. Which is what I thought earlier.
    And this is based on what, exactly? Who IS this guy? Is he an industry insider, or just a fan speculating?

Quote Originally Posted by Hall View Post
    Black Panther has some resemblance to X-Men movies but without the much needed details that makes X-Men so good and MCU not so good. Black Panther is only comparable to Wonder Woman. Movies celebrated and should be celebrated for defying the standard zone of white male leading characters. If Black Panther was a X-Men film, that wont really matter and the truth will be...we have had better films.
    X-Men 1
    Attachment 71476

X-Men First Class
    Attachment 71477

What more can anyone say about Sir Ian Mckellen and Patrick Stewart as Xavier and Magneto. they redefined pop culture friendships that even poured into a real life bromance for the actors over the years.

Also, don't you see the irony that Black Panther pretty much lifted many xmen plot points and admitted it? A lot of times you can't do better than who you are trying to take from. Black Panther was not the first to try, Inhumans did try. Both failed at it where it matters most.
    Lolwut Black Panther's T'Challa/Killmonger dynamic kind of rendered the white men stand ins for MLK/Malcolm X irrelevant. I hope Xavier and Magneto are racebent once MCU recasts.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Lolwut Black Panther's T'Challa/Killmonger dynamic kind of rendered the white men stand ins for MLK/Malcolm X irrelevant. I hope Xavier and Magneto are racebent once MCU recasts.
    Yeah killmonger is sort of dead

Quote Originally Posted by wano View Post
    Yeah killmonger is sort of dead
    There are rumors they will resurrect him but now that the X-Men are joining the fray I'd rather a racebent Magneto.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    There are rumors they will resurrect him but now that the X-Men are joining the fray I'd rather a racebent Magneto.
    Morgan Freeman neto? That's always an option, but I'd rather keep Magneto Jewish

Quote Originally Posted by wano View Post
    Morgan Freeman neto? That's always an option, but I'd rather keep Magneto Jewish
    Coming from a background of literal genocide makes Magneto's stance more powerful so I agree. I'm way more open to an African-American Xavier though.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 09-29-2018 at 07:26 AM.

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    What. A. Mess. And just one day after the first trailer. Just... ugh.

So what happened to all that "February is a great release month! Deadpool and BP were so successful! VALENTINE'S DAY RELEASE DATE!"?

Well it started with X-MEN not being a summer release for the first time because it obviously couldn't compete. People were still buzzing about Civil War in my apocalypse showing.

So ppl said November was good because look at Thor or Harry Potter

Then excuses for February

But now it's just a repeat of Apocalypse. People will still be all about Avengers 4 during DP release and the movie will come and go
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Coming from a background of literal genocide makes Magneto's stance more powerful.
    Not necessarily. He could also be say, the child of assassinated Civil Rights activists in the 60's, or a survivor of a bombing in the same era, and his stance would be just as powerful.

He could still be Jewish even if he is POC. But being an actual Holocaust survivor would be stretching it as even a small child in the 40's would be in their 90's in their 2020's. So then it would be back to Fox's vague movie age-ing routine to explain a relatively younger Magneto in the MCU.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    And this is based on what, exactly? Who IS this guy? Is he an industry insider, or just a fan speculating?
    It originated from this Chinese box office analyst's Twitter: https://twitter.com/gavinfeng97

Just tell @DEADLINE the truth why Dark Phoenix had 44 million views in first 24 hrs of release online from China: Fox China had a deal with a local superstar and asked her huge fans to make good looking number by retweeting it. Don't believe China can save it.
    The reason Fox gave to Deadline is ridiculous. They changed the date of #Alita from Dec 2018 to Feb 2019 bcs they wanted to let it open during Chinese New Year in CHN...So Fox meant Alita deserved a better date than Dark Phoenix? (Indeed, Fox don't even have power to put a film in CNY
    I think the truth lies somewhere in between: Dark Phoenix may be a hit in China but the reason for delaying it could be to save Alita and maybe there is VFX work that still needs time. I don't get the logic that Fox has forsaken DP entirely just for Alita. For one, doesn't Disney need to approve future Alita sequels too since they are purchasing all of Fox and not just the X-Men? So it makes no sense why one, established and more popular franchise is suddenly dispensable while another, completely new one is incredibly important.