Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

The J-man

Incredible Member

I loved this movie!
    Standout moments for me:
    Superman talking at with kids at the first part of the movie.
    The team had great chemistry.
    I enjoyed each character of The League and all did as a great job.
    The Batman and Superman themes.
    I know Steppenwolf was divisive for some, but I liked him as the villain and a great set up for Darkseid.
    Seeing Deathstroke in the Post credits.

Some of the CGI was not good and still not sold with Jessie Eisenberg as Lex, but maybe he will change and develop Lex in a sequel, if there is one.. I hope.
    I think the good outweighed the bad in my opinion.

I remember having mixed feelings about Batman vs Superman on the big screen but
    liked the Blue-Ray extended cut very much.
    I am hoping the original shooting of justice League was saved before all the chopping and that will be
    available on Blue-ray.

They were TERRIBLE about secret identities in this film! Lois calling Clark in front of the cops, Batman saying Alfred in front of a perp, Superman walking around the Kent farm without glasses as movers are bring in furniture...

And did anyone else notice that Batman fought the parademon, grew a beard, went and found Aquaman, then promptly shaved the beard off?

One guy's take...

- While it was better than I thought it would be, Aquaman was kind of a let down. Hopefully, the character gets a bit more depth going forward.
    - Seeing a Green Lantern was a nice touch.
    - Wonder Woman with the kids at the end was also a nice touch.

Incredible Member

I liked how Bruce who fully blames himself for Clark’s death decided to ignore Martha kent’s financial troubles, you know he was keeping an eye on her he’s Batman.

Still didn’t feel the impact of Superman’s death, he’d only been public for 18 months and had statues of him and a world mourning with giant banners globally, this is what makes me wish we got a MOS 2 to see him rise to that greatness, I just didn’t feel the weight or anything in those scenes.

Also how does Barry Allen not know who Bruce Wayne is “stranger In My building”

If parademons are all over the world scouting fear how does the government or anyone else know

If Diana Is fighting from the shadows and no one ever knew who she was, how come before that conversation she made a huge public save, I feel like based on that conversation that scene should have been towards the end once she goes public by greeting kids.... liked the one she saved which makes me now think it should have especially been at the end

Enjoyed the film but there were a few things that really pulled me out of the film;

Amazonian leather bikini's
    Cyborg's "Booya"
    How outclassed Stepponwolf was by Superman. He kind of made the rest of the JL redundant.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bossace View Post
    I liked how Bruce who fully blames himself for Clark’s death decided to ignore Martha kent’s financial troubles, you know he was keeping an eye on her he’s Batman.
    I think Bruce genuinely didn't know about Martha's financial problems; he was too caught up in assembling the League and preparing for the invasion from Apokolips. It was only after Clark returned that Bruce likely had any idea about Martha losing her home.

Also how does Barry Allen not know who Bruce Wayne is “stranger In My building”
    Two possibilities:

1. Barry was playing dumb.

2. Maybe Barry really was out of touch when it came to what was going on in society-at-large. Holed up as he was, it wouldn't be the biggest surprise.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I think Bruce genuinely didn't know about Martha's financial problems; he was too caught up in assembling the League and preparing for the invasion from Apokolips. It was only after Clark returned that Bruce likely had any idea about Martha losing her home.

Two possibilities:

1. Barry was playing dumb.

2. Maybe Barry really was out of touch when it came to what was going on in society-at-large. Holed up as he was, it wouldn't be the biggest surprise.

If Bill Gates was sitting on my couch when I got home I'd probably think he looked familiar but wouldn't auto-recognize him under the circumstances.

Astonishing Member

Random Thoughts:

The Atlanteans really has terrible security for the Mother Box in comparison to the Anazonians. If Mera wasn’t there it would have even been more of a cake walk.

Near the end of the movie where WW is shown acting in public—there’s a costumed villainess being lead away. Was that a Roulette cameo?

Ezra Miller had a breakout performance but I loved Cyborgs story and it was easy to empathize with the character.

There were a few gratuitous WW shots but there were several of Aquaman and Superman as well.

The movie seemed too fast, it needed some time to breathe. It was good overall!

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    They were TERRIBLE about secret identities in this film! Lois calling Clark in front of the cops, Batman saying Alfred in front of a perp, Superman walking around the Kent farm without glasses as movers are bring in furniture...

And did anyone else notice that Batman fought the parademon, grew a beard, went and found Aquaman, then promptly shaved the beard off?
    Apparently Whedon reshot that scene, I remember Affleck mentioned in an interview he did a scene in the costume with a beard. Hey ho. No wonder Snyder hasn't seen the film.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Retired

If you're going to Iceland in the wintertime, you want to grow a beard. And clearly enough time had passed between when Bats left Gotham and when he finally found Arthur that the beard had grown in. Arthur Curry wasn't making it easy for anyone to find him. Once Bruce left Iceland, he no longer needed the beard's protection. I used to grow a beard every winter to get through the cold months in Edmonton and it only takes a couple of weeks for me to grow a full beard.

The events in JUSTICE LEAGUE are taking place over a longer timeframe than the two hours of run time. I felt that passage of time--I didn't need the movie to show me all the connecting scenes--and it didn't feel like the movie was moving too fast for me.

The one part where I think it should have really been longer and where the scene should have been differently placed was the back story about the Amazons, Atlanteans and men fighting to save the Earth from Apokolips. After WONDER WOMAN, audiences probably wanted to see a lot of that. And wasn't Robin Wright supposed to have some scenes? Maybe she did and I just couldn't pick her out in the crowd. Also having Gal Gadot narrate that was a bit odd, since she's not exactly the best English speaker in the cast--which is normally fine, she acts in other ways, but here you have something where we're just hearing her voice.

However, I would have thought that just having Wonder Woman would have given the movie a bigger opening weekend. I was wrong about that, so maybe Amazons don't have as much pull as I thought.

Another element I think that could have helped the movie in the holiday season box office would have been if the end scenes were set around American Thanksgiving or Christmas. It's a shameless play to the audience but it works for a lot of movies that otherwise have nothing to do with the holiday season. I was watching BLONDIE BRINGS UP BABY yesterday and, at the conclusion,"O Little Town of Bethlehem" plays under the scene, even though the story has nothing directly to do with Christmas (but the movie came out in November 1939). That got me all teary eyed and sentimental, as if I was watching IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE.

All-New Member

I enjoyed the movie but found it disappointing. I'm not a massive DC fan but am familiar with some of the source material and enjoy the TV Shows. (Just context that maybe explains why I don't get the things I don't get)

- I didn't mind anything to do with Victor or Aquaman. Nothing about them seemed inconsistent.
    - The Flash was a mess. Talking to his Dad he seemed to be holding down 3 jobs badly and to lack focus, but then he has a lair and a high tech suit with the whole Flash thing going on, but then he needs the 'start with saving just one' speech.
    - How did Batman know about the Flash? There were a few computer stills of something, but when they talked Bruce didn't know what Barry's powers were. Presumably if you have evidence that he is a high value individual for your team you have some idea as to what that value is.
    - I would have preferred if Cyborg had pulled the team together, or at least gotten the ball rolling. He had access to the information from the motherbox and unfettered computer access and computational ability which makes him the logical candidate for identifying team members. Instead you have Batman just being dragged along by narrative. He took down a parademon, got no useful information from it but needs to assemble a team. Gordon only tells him about the numerous parademon events after he already has the team assembled.
    - What is with the securing of motherboxes? We just put it on a plinth? Not even in a glass case or a cage? I understand the humans burying theirs due to factional issues, but people other than Steppenwolf might have tried stealing ultimate power sources.
    -What is the point of the Amazons? In this movie and WW the answer seems to be cannon fodder. The only difference between them and Star Trek's redshirts is acrobatics. I don't think I saw them take down a single parademon in that battle. Sure, Wonder Woman is the Godkiller but that's no excuse for such an ancient civilisation to be so pointless. Their arrows appear to be just arrows (apart from that one arrow that can pull a motherbox behind it instead of falling from the sky). I didn't expect them to win but I expected some resilience. Why put the motherbox in a bunker surrounded by troops who will be completely inneffective against your opponents?
    -Atlantis defensive strategy with Mera at least showed some justification, especially when Arthur showed up. Presumably the defensive plan was better before his estrangement. It's implied that his powers come from his lineage, so previous generations might have been better prepared for that fight.

The biggest thing that grated on me though was why did we need Superman? What purpose did he serve? Especially when everyone committed to an all in gamble when they had no understanding of the outcome, but were aware of negative possibilities.
    - the justice league are heroes in their own right. Supes may be the best of them on the comics, but in this extended universe thing none of them have any relationship really beyond knowing he's a high power space alien who is mostly good. Batman carries guilt for his death, but that shouldn't be justification for gambling the world.
    - the JL faced Steppenwolf on the island, rescued the hostages and destroyed the parademons, and caused Steppenwolf to flee. None of that screams 'we are overmatched, let's risk the world'. They didn't lose the encounter or come out broken and battered. Heck Bruce took more damage from Superman than Steppenwolf.
    -Victor knew everything they needed to take down the motherboxes. They didn't need Kryptonian knowledge, or one of Superman's abilities to win. Even in the final encounter all Supes did is punch Steppenwolf a few times. It's not clear that Superman was actually needed for that win. The plan didn't require him so presumably Aquaman or Wonder Woman had the strength to separate the motherboxes.

-the third box was inert. It couldn't call to Steppenwolf to find it. The heroes just needed to drop it down a dark hole to end the risk to the planet itself. Instead they decided to activate it again just in case the risk of zombie demon Superman wasn't enough stupid.

-As soon as they raised Superman and the motherbox was ejected my first thought was 'who is collecting the box'. And the answer turned out to be 'nobody'. It's the one thing preventing a global apocalypse, two members of our team have super speed, one can fly, only Wonder Woman and Batman have any emotional connection to Superman but we'll all rush there.

-Taking my complaints about complete logical breakdowns, how many of the JL are supposed to have real high smarts? Victor, Bruce and Barry at least? But all of this stupid just washes over them.

Then Batman and the shield. They know it's a shield because how? They know missiles will disrupt it because how? And batman can identify the 'pillar' as a shield generator because? I feel we missed a scene where Victor explains things to them, like the Death Star attack briefing in Star Wars. At least Victor's motherbox origin would give him justification for understanding the technology.

I didn't hate the movie, but the complete lack of coherent logic prevented me from loving it. And while I'm not a massive DC fan I do know character origins and backstories to some degree, so I may be more forgiving than someone who isn't a comic book person. On the other hand I also don't have perfect character archetypes in mind, so for example the film doesn't gain marks for having my perfect batman, nor lose marks for not having batman the way I want him to be.

And the cinema I went to only had 5 out of 24 seats occupied.
    Last edited by Eireannx; 11-19-2017 at 02:24 PM.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

To the post above:

-They clearly needed Superman because they couldn't defeat Steppenwolf the first time around. You seem to have missed that in multiple points of your post. The gamble was necessary.

-The camera stills don't show exactly what Barry can do. Lightning flashes and the guy gets pushed over. But otherwise Luthor had a whole file on him. As did ARGUS. Besides, he seems to have an inkling already. And he says "so you're fast." The batarang confirmed it and he's raising it. It's not like he has no clue what Barry can do at all.

-The motherbox was secure when the Amazons had a lot more allies. A Green Lantern and the Greek Gods other than Ares for instance. The Atlanteans were also likely in better shape. Considering the threat Steppenwolf posed I think they did great.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Speaking of Ares, I wonder which side he took in the first war with Apokolips...or did he sit it out with plans to take on the weakened victor?

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014