Page 44 of 176 FirstFirst ... 344041424344454647485494144 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    I believe fandom in general is the worst thing to happen to a writer, and I say that as a writer. It scares me to think that creative work can leave the people who created it behind.
    In terms of "creative work that can leave the people who created it behind", as far as comics goes, the danger of that comes from publishers, Jack Kirby and Ditko being denied due credit and respect, Alan Moore's IP theft, and so on and so forth. Fandom isn't the worst thing to happen to a writer by any means.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    In terms of "creative work that can leave the people who created it behind", as far as comics goes, the danger of that comes from publishers, Jack Kirby and Ditko being denied due credit and respect, Alan Moore's IP theft, and so on and so forth. Fandom isn't the worst thing to happen to a writer by any means.
    Did you literally ignore all of the other stuff I wrote? If so, wow.

I watched this board tear itself apart for years over the same few topics, namely OMD. And it was excruciating and exhausting. I left for a good amount of years and then, when I came back at the tail end of Slott's run it was fine. But then, with Spencer (seemingly) putting a lot of terrible Spidey stories to rest, you fans started picking up again and getting back to your old tricks. Now every time I turn around it's "Oh, I hate OMD" "Quesada is to blame for OMD" "JMS's run is overrated" "Silk is terrible" "Spider-Man should team up with She-Hulk" Enough is enough. I'm sick of it. And don't somebody say, "Well you don't have to be here. You could go somewhere else." Do you know how lonely it is to be a comic fan? How painful it is to like something other people dislike? "Comics are stupid" "Comics are dumb" "Comics are too complicated". I thought coming to these boards would help me make some friends, but it didn't. Instead, I'm just alone in my thoughts here as well as elsewhere.

I believe fandom in general is the worst thing to happen to a writer, and I say that as a writer. It scares me to think that creative work can leave the people who created it behind.
    Foccusing so much only in the negative will unsurprisingly make you only see the negative, 'cause of course there's gonna be people bitching, but Spencer's run also gets a lot of praises, and you're far from being the only one sick of OMD bitching, since about half of posts in some OMD posts were basically "This again?".

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, I mean, that Spidey wasn't supposed to be Bell but it showed that with good direction and material he could actually deliver (as did a bit of later USM material), that just wasn't what he was given for most of his tenure.
    Yeah I hear it was supposed to be Josh Keaton, and he even had recorded some lines, which then were replaced by Bell's.

But I brought that up 'cause Bell did an alright job there at least, so it really was the direction holding him back.

-- The 1992 Fox Spider-Man is a bad cartoon. Bad for the context of the time, and dated even worse now. The animation is bad, the storytelling was weak, and the cop out conclusion with MJ as a clone was a huge insult to the fans of the Spider-Marriage at the time and now, because it gave the lie that you can't do a story with a married Spider-Man as a status-quo. As annoying as I find high school Spider-Man, even mediocre Disney Pap currently on air is more tolerable to me than Semper backstabbing fans the way he did on that show.
    One bad decision in the series does not make it worse than most modern Spider-Man cartoons.

Sam Raimi was primarily responsible for Spider-Man 3 being a disaster. He wrote the script. Avi Arad the producer wasn't wrong to suggest that Venom (as Spidey's third biggest villain) take the lead in the third film over characters-who-can't-hold-a-movie like Sandman and Harry Osborn. Sam Raimi should have stepped away after 2 just like Burton did after Batman Returns, and let Arad find his Joel Schumacher and hang himself from his own rope. I don't think Sam Raimi coming back to Spider-Man would be as special and grand as fans sometimes imagine/hope it to be.
    Venom's heyday was in the 90s and Harry and Sandman have been popular villains for decades. They are just as capable of holding a movie as Venom.

Emma Stone's Gwen sucks and is far worse than Kirsten Dunst's Mary Jane, Laura Harrier's Liz, Zendaya's MJ, or even Zoe Kravitz' Mary Jane.
    Here's a controversial opinion of my own; as an MJ/Peter shipper, the frequent Gwen bashing is far more obnoxious than almost anything Marvel's done to MJ since OMD.

-- This is probably the one I am going to get crucified for...[I]I love the Goblin outfit in Spider-Man 1[/I

Felicia Hardy/Black Cat is a cool character but she simply doesn't fit Spider-Man stories and should never be adapted out of comics. All the great stories with her have been told already.
    I don't see how this applies to Felicia and not to any other character including Spider-Man himself. There is nothing about Felicia that makes her stick out in Spider-Man's world and she's far less out of place than the symbiotes or the frequent demons and fairy tale creatures that pop up in the X-Men.

Astonishing Member

Another controversial opinion: Aunt May doesn't have to die. I've seen some fans over the years act like Aunt May has to die in order for Peter to be written like an adult. There is no connection between those two things. Yes, OMD happened to save Aunt May. But OMD would have happened regardless. Aunt May being shot was just the plot device.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Another controversial opinion: Aunt May doesn't have to die. I've seen some fans over the years act like Aunt May has to die in order for Peter to be written like an adult. There is no connection between those two things. Yes, OMD happened to save Aunt May. But OMD would have happened regardless. Aunt May being shot was just the plot device.
    Very controverisal. DEATH TO AUNT MAY.

LOL, just kidding. Honestly I think it's constriversial to say she needs to die, not that she doesn't as I think the majority would agree with that.

BANNED

I agree.

The thing about Aunt May is that there are two aspects to her. There's Aunt May the three-dimensional character who's awesome, sweet, and great. Then there's Aunt May the plot device there to infantilize Peter and puppetered by editors. The former is great, the latter is just bad.

I loved ASM#400 and I think they should have stuck to that rather than reversed it, but at the same time I loved how JMS wrote May in his run, and to me that's May Parker. The May Parker who told Peter that he should have gumption and that "Parkers don't quit".

Since OMD, May has been written as an infantilizing plot device with the BND and Slott era writing her badly (and Slott making her a bigot to boot). She's great in Tom Taylor's FNSM run, and a few appearances in Spencer's run.

I agree.

The thing about Aunt May is that there are two aspects to her. There's Aunt May the three-dimensional character who's awesome, sweet, and great. Then there's Aunt May the plot device there to infantilize Peter and puppetered by editors. The former is great, the latter is just bad.

I loved ASM#400 and I think they should have stuck to that rather than reversed it, but at the same time I loved how JMS wrote May in his run, and to me that's May Parker. The May Parker who told Peter that he should have gumption and that "Parkers don't quit".

Since OMD, May has been written as an infantilizing plot device with the BND and Slott era writing her badly (and Slott making her a bigot to boot). She's great in Tom Taylor's FNSM run, and a few appearances in Spencer's run.
    Aunt May in JMS's run was a perfect rendition of her character for me, and a great example of taking a character with decades long history, referring to that history, but still doing something new. You can see why Peter would take after her in that run, because she is a strong family figure for him.

Astonishing Member

Only if Vulture and Kraven die first.

And yes Kraven is still alive.

Astonishing Member

Aunt May in JMS's run was a perfect rendition of her character for me, and a great example of taking a character with decades long history, referring to that history, but still doing something new. You can see why Peter would take after her in that run, because she is a strong family figure for him.
    I always felt that Aunt May was at her least interesting during JMS's run and her death in #400 was boring and forgettable.

They try to "solve" too many things too quickly without even considering why it was important in the first place. Ultimate Spider-Man's Guilt is one of my favorite issues for that reason: she's a character in and of itself with her own emotions. She's not just Peter's luggage like she is JMS that follows him around and repeats what he's thinking to him.

Having her just be ok with Peter's secret marginalized her and making her his "best friend" was a disservice to her character.

Astonishing Member

I agree.

Good points. JMS' run specifically is why I never bought the premise that Aunt May needs to die. He arguably wrote both the best Aunt May and the most mature Spider-Man.

Also while writers haven't done much with FEAST, I like the idea of a senior finding meaningful work in helping people. I find that more interesting and inspiring than the idea she has to die because she is old.

Astonishing Member

Good points. JMS' run specifically is why I never bought the premise that Aunt May needs to die. He arguably wrote both the best Aunt May and the most mature Spider-Man.

Also while writers haven't done much with FEAST, I like the idea of a senior finding meaningful work in helping people. I find that more interesting and inspiring than the idea she has to die because she is old.
    The only reason why Aunt May "needs to die" is because people believe that she gets in the way of "Peter X MJ" and fans will use every opportunity to hold that against her.

Her death in the PS4 game was easily the weakest part, but because it was apparently "the opposite of OMD", it was instead lauded.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    The only reason why Aunt May "needs to die" is because people believe that she gets in the way of "Peter X MJ" and fans will use every opportunity to hold that against her.

Her death in the PS4 game was easily the weakest part, but because it was apparently "the opposite of OMD", it was instead lauded.
    I actually think her death in the game was very well done. But the reaction is what I was talking about. There were constant comments made about how Sony "had the balls" to do something the comics couldn't. "Have the balls" implies necessity or that any writer that wants to keep using Aunt May is only doing it out of fear/lack of creativity.

Astonishing Member

I actually think her death in the game was very well done. But the reaction is what I was talking about. There were constant comments made about how Sony "had the balls" to do something the comics couldn't. "Have the balls" implies necessity or that any writer that wants to keep using Aunt May is only doing it out of fear/lack of creativity.
    Yet they used Doc Ock as the main villain and tried to present it as a surprise.

Not mention that they chose to have him overshadow a relatively unknown villain at the time as well.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    ps4 spider-man had weak combat mechanics, shallow enemy design, and subpar boss fights
    This. So much this.