Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

I'd say Duran Duran is the band that best defines the 80's, at least the stuff most people think of when they think of the music from that decade. For a single song, I can only give the nod to A Flock of Seagulls with I Ran.

I know there was more stuff in the 80's than the pop scene, but hair bands always seem to me to have started in the late 70's and pushed a little into the 90's, so I don't identify them with the specific decade as much.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Best decade of music.
    The least discriminating and more diverse than any other, before or after.
    It also resulted in lots of One-Hit-Wonders, which makes it hard to provide a singular answer to your question.
    links to my books:
    "TWISTED HOLIDAY HORROR TALES"
    @ comiXology
    @ IndyPlanet
    "Blues Ratz"
    @ Amazon: Spec. BLUE Version Paperback
    @ IndyPlanet: Collected Edition

It completely makes me cringe to nominate MADONNA, M. Jackson & hair metal for 80's music. Just a entire decade of trash people making trash music.

That decade deserves all to be remembered as hostile as possible.
    80s was one of the best era's for music and movies. MJ and Madonna were two of the biggest singers in the 80s like them or not! You don't think of the 80s without those two singers.

From every rose has a thorn to I want to know what love is to against all odds to true colors there were some great songs in the 80s.

Of course they was some bad ones and silly ones also then there are some guilty pleasure songs also like who's johhny from short circuit and eat it by weird al!

Had a soft spot for this movie theme also!

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    80s was one of the best era's for music and movies. MJ and Madonna were two of the biggest singers in the 80s like them or not! You don't think of the 80s without those two singers.

From every rose has a thorn to I want to know what love is to against all odds to true colors there were some great songs in the 80s.

Of course they was some bad ones and silly ones also then there are some guilty pleasure songs also like who's johhny from short circuit and eat it by weird al!

Had a soft spot for this movie theme also!

There were so many artists, old and new, that were putting out some of their best work in that decade, which as you've posted, had so many great music videos to promote them.

Tina Turner's big comeback occured in the 1980s with her Private Dancer album. It seems like a lot of groups had some of their most successful albums in the 1980s: ZZ Top, The Rolling Stones, The soundtrack to the Blues Brothers helped boost the career of veterans like Aretha Franklin, James Brown and Ray Charles. Besides Duran Duran and Tears for Fears being mentioned, there was Culture Club, The Thompson Twins, Van Halen, Janet Jackson, Cyndi Lauper, Huey Lewis and the News, Whitney Houston, Bruce Springsteen.

When you think of the 1980's it's the videos that propelled the songs to even greater recognition.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 09-07-2019 at 10:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    It seems like a lot of groups had some of their most successful albums in the 1980s
    Completely agree with this.
    Beside numerous one-hit-wonders, the legends were also strong. The first ones to pop to mind are Dire Straits, ELO, Gary Moore and Chris Rea.
    Also, the term Super-Group was heavily circulating like Traveling Wilburys
    Last edited by Attila Kiss; 09-08-2019 at 12:19 AM.
    links to my books:
    "TWISTED HOLIDAY HORROR TALES"
    @ comiXology
    @ IndyPlanet
    "Blues Ratz"
    @ Amazon: Spec. BLUE Version Paperback
    @ IndyPlanet: Collected Edition

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Sales were up because of population growth, society on average was more prosperous and technological advances (the CD came in the early 80s). But does anybody really feel that Aretha's Narada Michael Walden produced hit albums were better than the legendary records Jerry Wechsler produced for her 20 years earlier? Was "Living in America" as good a James Brown song as "A man's world" or "Sex Machine"? Was Marvin's "Sexual Healing" as good as "What's Going On" (especially the albums that came with those tracks)?

I'll give you Tina Turner, though.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

I'll agree with others who have said that there is no one singular 'Eighties' sound, or for any decade for that matter. At the end of the day, 1980-1981 will sound more like late 70s, and 1988-1989 will have more in common with the early 90s.

But as for the pop sound that most will associate with a 'typical Eighties sound', I see you guys' Duran Duran and raise you a Nik Kershaw. When I hear 'The Riddle', 'Wouldn't It Be Good?' or 'I Won't Let The Sun Go Down On Me' I get images of mullets, shoulder pads, Rubik's Cubes and Pontiac Trans Ams floating through my head.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Other mentions: Foreigner debuted in the late 70’s but hit their stride in the 80’s. Sir Paul McCartney had hits in that decade, including his duets with Michael Jackson and Stevie Wonder.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Yes.

When I think "epitome of the 80s" - I think Paul McCartney.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormel View Post
    raise you a Nik Kershaw. When I hear 'The Riddle', 'Wouldn't It Be Good?' or 'I Won't Let The Sun Go Down On Me
    Ah - you've just solved a mystery for me.

Whenever anyone went on X-Factor or American Idol and sang Elton John's "I Won't Let the Sun Go Down on Me", I always wondered why it didn't even vaguely resemble the song I remembered. And that will be because I was remembering the Nik Kershaw song of the same name.

Quote Originally Posted by Attila Kiss View Post
    Best decade of music.
    The least discriminating and more diverse than any other, before or after.
    It also resulted in lots of One-Hit-Wonders, which makes it hard to provide a singular answer to your question.
    I'm not sure it's the best decade of music but it's up there with the 50s, 60s and 70s. It was very diverse from pop, balads, rock, metal, some disco still, and more. The fact that many of the classic hits playing in the radio now come from that decade. Sure, some of the groups were plastic, but there were also lots of real talented bands and singers all over. For me mainstream music became less memorable in the 90s and on.

The 90s, however, was a great decade for TV shows, especially comedies like Seinfeld, Friends, and many others that are still dominating in reruns.

BTW, I don't know if I was clear enough, but my intention with this thread was your personal experience with the music of the 80s. What was more memorable about this era to you. Not about who you think was the most impactful singer or group in this era. If I have to choose someone it's Michael Jackson. He is the king of pop still imo. For the 70s, the Bee Gees come immediately to mind. 60s the Beatles probably. 50s Elvis and Sinatra.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 09-09-2019 at 05:50 PM.

Amazing Member

Songs from the Big Chair and Seeds of Love are two of my favorite albums ever. Both top 5 for me.

Edit: I was responding to the first post. Forgot the quote.

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    Ah - you've just solved a mystery for me.

Whenever anyone went on X-Factor or American Idol and sang Elton John's "I Won't Let the Sun Go Down on Me", I always wondered why it didn't even vaguely resemble the song I remembered. And that will be because I was remembering the Nik Kershaw song of the same name.
    Elton's is called "Don't let the Sun go Down on Me."

Iconic 80s to me will always be: