Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Oh, I have no problem with the kid dropping the hate speech. It's a continuing thread throughout the Krakoan books that supremacist speech is rarely, if ever checked or questioned by other Krakoans. And the comparison between Krakoan medicine and Orchis is silly. One is a supervillain group and the other is a collection of extremely powerful mutants, many with no upper limit on their power. I might as well talk about a poor farmer in the Andes and compare him to Apocalypse's nefarious plans. Some humans are powerful rat bastards conspiring against mutants, but flatscan is (as slurs are) an insult to an entire group; differences be damned. And that's the point, the kids are starting to think like the ******* anti-mutant dude on the street.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    Believe me, I don't have to imagine; I remember sitting in a classroom at lunchtime doing some homework while a group of other kids were making jokes about -insert slurs for muslims.- Horrible, horrible stuff and, guess what, in adulthood those same kids still foster those same attitudes because they weren't challenged. They still contribute to hurt and harm by dehumanising a whole people. That's the problem here.

Humans in the government responsible for that atrocity up there were able to do so because they dehumanised mutants. They don't view them as equal, they view them as beneath them--them being insulted is gonna further fuel that. On the flip side: the mutant kid who dehumanises the humans and isn't challenged on it is going to continue to believe that. Humans will forever be 'other' and god help him if he has a human kid.

The cycle is perpetuated and continues.
    yet all humans come to the surface, this one exchange is used to condeem all mutants , but you have a panel of humans going to the very extreme to erase mutant kind but its wrong to generalize there? whats the logic here?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    I thought "breeders" was more about people who have kids vs people who don't? Didn't know that was LGBT.

And the point is, well, Krakoa isn't really better. We know there's something wrong with it, we know it dosen't end well, and I question how far off it is from what Orchis is doing.
    But don't you see where this leads?

It leads to the mutant children seeing humans, not just Orchis, but all humans as being less than they are. How long before they decide to just do away with them?

EDIT: and I replied to myself. Sorry about that! But it looks funny so I shall leave it.

BANNED

But don't you see where this leads?

It leads to the mutant children seeing humans, not just Orchis, but all humans as being less than they are. How long before they decide to just do away with them?
    its cute how the potential of something is more ofensive to you than what is show on pages from humans towards mutants

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
    yet all humans come to the surface, this one exchange is used to condeem all mutants , but you have a panel of humans going to the very extreme to erase mutant kind but its wrong to generalize there? whats the logic here?
    This is how I feel as well. When Mutants do something bad, it applies to every singe Mutant, but when humans do it, it doesn't.

edit: didn't like how I worded it and tried to reword it but I gave up . lol
    this discussion feels like a fever dream.
    Last edited by houndsofluv; 02-13-2020 at 07:13 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Empathy also means never seeing the same side or “humanizing” them. These children grew up with humans and have probably seen the best and worst of humanity. This insult doesn’t have the power to keep mutants from possible cooperation. Hell, they can go through a Gate whenever they want.

Not sure what you meant here; please clarify.

But that's the thing; say the kid does go through the gate and just happily calls someone a "Flatscan," just because he can. It does have the power to keep mutants and humans cooperating because, on an individual level, that's gonna have an impact. The 'flatscan' isn't gonna like it, they're gonna either retort with "mutie" and foster further persecution towards the kid or just learn/continue to resent mutants. One is gonna wind up speaking for all in both these cases, even though they shouldn't.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by houndsofluv View Post
    Its almost as if the writers are treating a complex issue as a complex issue and imbuing it with nuance
    Please point out the nuance? All I'm seeing is a really one-sided take.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    I'm shocked that more people aren't talking about the Sentinel City. That ****'s scary.
    Villains are building Villain city, is scary, yes, but...is Orchis.
    Is like watching Shaw trashing civilians, is bad yes, but is Shaw. Imagine that is Jean or Storm, war in the forum part 729802829.

I honestly dont care about what that child said, one of the cuckoos call humans monkeys when in company of Emma and she didnt care, she didnt care neither here.

People is trying to bring the privilege here but i dont see it, the insult is what it is, is a supremacist insult.

Is the kid the new Magneto ?? obviously not.

Believe me, I don't have to imagine; I remember sitting in a classroom at lunchtime doing some homework while a group of other kids were making jokes about -insert slurs for muslims.- Horrible, horrible stuff and, guess what, in adulthood those same kids still foster those same attitudes because they weren't challenged. They still contribute to hurt and harm by dehumanising a whole people. That's the problem here.

Humans in the government responsible for that atrocity up there were able to do so because they dehumanised mutants. They don't view them as equal, they view them as beneath them--them being insulted is gonna further fuel that. On the flip side: the mutant kid who dehumanises the humans and isn't challenged on it is going to continue to believe that. Humans will forever be 'other' and god help him if he has a human kid.

The cycle is perpetuated and continues.
    I do agree that cycles do continue, unfortunately. But I also have seen very close-minded children turn into wonderful, understanding adults with life experience. Not all hateful children turn into hateful adults, you know? But that can only truly happen if mutants are no longer being hunted. And since these books are selling, that doesn't seem to be happening any time soon.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    This is how I feel as well. When Mutants do something bad, it applies to every singe Mutant, but when humans do it, it doesn't.
    Where do you see mutants not doing this, though?

BANNED

Not sure what you meant here; please clarify.

But that's the thing; say the kid does go through the gate and just happily calls someone a "Flatscan," just because he can. It does have the power to keep mutants and humans cooperating because, on an individual level, that's gonna have an impact. The 'flatscan' isn't gonna like it, they're gonna either retort with "mutie" and foster further persecution towards the kid or just learn/continue to resent mutants. One is gonna wind up speaking for all in both these cases, even though they shouldn't.
    and he goes back anyways because even if he was quiet purifiers and other mutant dangers are probably gone, a human listens to that and just gets offended that the filthy mutie he already hated had a nerve of saying somethibg similar, but in the end he has no fears compared to the mutant.
    a false equivalency.

BANNED

Where do you see mutants not doing this, though?
    50 years of history of mutants saving human asses and getting not even basic human decency in return.
    Last edited by Ferro; 02-13-2020 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Sphere View Post
    Oh, I have no problem with the kid dropping the hate speech. It's a continuing thread throughout the Krakoan books that supremacist speech is rarely, if ever checked or questioned by other Krakoans. And the comparison between Krakoan medicine and Orchis is silly. One is a supervillain group and the other is a collection of extremely powerful mutants, many with no upper limit on their power. I might as well talk about a poor farmer in the Andes and compare him to Apocalypse's nefarious plans. Some humans are powerful rat bastards conspiring against mutants, but flatscan is (as slurs are) an insult to an entire group; differences be damned. And that's the point, the kids are starting to think like the ******* anti-mutant dude on the street.
    Genocide. We're talking about them wanting to erase the mutant race. A slur is not genocide.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    I do agree that cycles do continue, unfortunately. But I also have seen very close-minded children turn into wonderful, understanding adults with life experience. Not all hateful children turn into hateful adults, you know? But that can only truly happen if mutants are no longer being hunted. And since these books are selling, that doesn't seem to be happening any time soon.
    That doesn't make sense, I'm sorry; please clarify a bit?

You're saying that you've seen close-minded children grow into better people, even though we irl are very far away from achieving true 'peace' between us all, despite the harmful attitudes still being perpetuated...but this attitude can't be challenged in narrative?