Page 208 of 337 FirstFirst ... 108158198204205206207208209210211212218258308 ... LastLast
Results 3,106 to 3,120 of 5046

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    It's hard to tell exactly what is going on but it does look like Bendis had Doom leaning heavily on his mystical talents. I like that a lot but I hope he doesn't neglect his technological skills also.
    He built a nice armor already ! But it's true that the mystical talents seem a big part of the vision that Bendis have of the character, and it's great because it's not that usual for the character in the recent years.

Except in this image that I love ? (I quote the 3rd post of the thread and not the recent ones)

Quote Originally Posted by nomadicwriter View Post
    I especially love the way Victor uses teleportation in the first issue - if it's a mystical teleportation of course.

Back to Bendis, am I the only one that thinks that Morgan could be involved ? Could she be the second character in the last page of the first issue ? I hope it's not Caroline...

I'm glad to see both you and Doomscribe liked this issue too. There is room for improvement but it was a good place to start. Amara still seems fearful of Doom even though she accepted the arrangement he obtained for her at Cambridge University. That's got to take some kind of negotiating power to do that. Maybe it's best she not know how he did it. If Bendis is planning on bringing Cynthia von Doom into this new post Secret Wars II world, I hope he makes it worthwhile. IMO you should not bring back a character from the dead unless the payoff is worth it, like with Bucky / Winter Soldier.

Don't you tend to think that Victor is more likely to "behave himself" if he knows she is alive?
    I agree with everything and especially the bold part. BTW I'm eager to read more about what Doomscribe thinks of Cynthia's comeback.

And yes. I think that the mother and son dynamic should play a part in the transformation of Victor into a "hero". But it have to be very well done! The soap-opera writing is possible and should be avoided !

About Victor's heroism, I wonder if the book will give him the credit for having saved the universe under Hickman's pen... I also wonder what great task are waiting him to show his "new" involvement in the greater good of the planet...
    Last edited by Abe; 10-31-2016 at 03:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Brian Cronin just posted this Star Wars parody starring Spider-Man and Doctor Doom.

http://www.cbr.com/spider-mans-out-o...-wars-mash-up/
    Quote Originally Posted by lalalei2001 View Post
    Thanks a lot for both!

Ravin' Ray, I wasn't aware of this story, and it's so awesome !!!

lalalei2001, I only have a few issues of that series, and those pages are wonderful. And that panel with Sue : "Ben... Please..." Hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechanical.SBK View Post
    Looks awesome, definitely waiting for n°2

Hey I saved many Doom pictures from this thread and around the web and made a gallery, there may be some duplicated pics or out of order but I'll be getting on it and adding some more, feel free to take a look everyone.

https://doombot404.imgur.com/
    Thanks a lot for all that work, Mechanical.SBK !!! Really appreciated. Many other pages from the same source than lalalei2001's ones and it warmed my heart to see Victor dealing with Uatu and Galan !!! So cool !!!

The pages from Fall of Hulks are great too as the ones with Thor and the Destroyer - from two books missing in my collection.

Great work !!!

I hope that you found Doomwar and Books of Doom. For the 1st one there are great pages, but I didn't like the ending and I understand why Panther's fans are hungry with it. And Books of Doom is in my humble opinion an absolute must-have. One of the best book about Doom.

Interesting to notice that Brubaker made very recently his debut for the television, co-writing some episodes for the HBO series Westworld - with androids unaware of what they truly are...

And one last post, about the French actuality of Victor.

Panini comics - the Italian-European publishing house for Marvel comics in France - decided to benefit a bit of the Dr Strange movie and published a collector edition of Triumph and Torment. A great idea and a nice over-sized book : 14,4 x 10,5 inches.

The choice for the cover warms the heart of every Latverian. Look :

Yes. It's Docteur Fatalis in French - but not Docteur Etrange. "Triomphe Et Tourment" is certainly fun to notice also for English speakers. And Stephen is nowhere to be seen...

The cover is in fact a folded poster, but sadly the side with Doom shows only the middle part of that well-known Mignola's pin-up (and on only a part of the poster, so I won't put it on my walls)

The full size image on the other side is great of course : it's based on this one :

A perfect picture to wish everybody a happy Halloween, of course !
    Last edited by Abe; 10-31-2016 at 03:24 AM.

got this done over the weekend by Mike Choi

this one a month ago from Steve Epting

and one more from Joe Eisma

San Diego, CA and Den of Madness, Castle Doom, Latveria

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    I especially love the way Victor uses teleportation in the first issue - if it's a mystical teleportation of course.

Back to Bendis, am I the only one that thinks that Morgan could be involved ? Could she be the second character in the last page of the first issue ? I hope it's not Caroline...

I agree with everything and especially the bold part. BTW I'm eager to read more about what Doomscribe thinks of Cynthia's comeback.

And yes. I think that the mother and son dynamic should play a part in the transformation of Victor into a "hero". But it have to be very well done! The soap-opera writing is possible and should be avoided !

About Victor's heroism, I wonder if the book will give him the credit for having saved the universe under Hickman's pen... I also wonder what great task are waiting him to show his "new" involvement in the greater good of the planet...
    Well Cynthia's appearance was really a surprise on a couple of levels. First is, she's been dead for a really long time, and most of the time my view is that you shouldn't resurrect a dead character just for the heck of it, there has to be a good reason. But Cynthia Von Doom is an odd character to pull out of the pantheon, she has only appeared in one other book that wasn't a retelling of Doom's origin tale. And even then, she didn't actually "appear" in that origin story (other than her name on a headstone in Astonishing Tales #8) until much later, probably not until Triumph and Torment (and that wasn't until 1989). The only other time she has appeared in so far as I recall in continuity, was in Blade 2 (October 2006) , as a witch who was fighting vampires in Latveria, and Blade had traveled back in time at Doom's bequest. The timeline on that one was a little wonky though, because Doom appeared in his original costume, and supposedly Doom "saw" what had happened through his mother's eyes. A weird story. She appeared alone, and was inexplicably battling lots of vampires in a castle, and boasting of being able to see the future.

She has appeared in a few (but not very many) alternate universe books and what ifs. House of M, is one, and there she is old. What we saw of her did not look old. (And how come his mother always appears, but there's NEVER been a tale about his father? There has to be a story or three or four of interest there, too.) She has been depicted in these alternate timeline stories as a kind of grand matriarch, a regal lady of the crown. I think that's totally wrong, she's a gypsy, not a royal, even if her son has taken the throne. But the few times Victor has mentioned her, prior to freeing her, it was clear that winning her freedom was really an important goal, one that he was deeply, emotionally invested in. He never really knew her, yet there was this deep attachment. Does that still drive him in some way? Probably not, so having her back is going to be weird, and will require a different kind of relationship.

At the end of Infamous Iron Man #1 she's clearly doing some sort of conjuring. So that's good, she's got her hand in the magic realm. She doesn't look old. Is she in another dimension, maybe? How long has she been watching Victor? And if she has, how is it that all this time he seemingly didn't know?

I like that it solidifies Triumph and Torment as in continuity. I wouldn't want her power to be greater than his, though. Victor would not be a man to be cowed by his mom. But has she been meddling somehow? That would seem to be more of a Morgana role, not his mom's.

So I'm interested to see where this will go, but I am skeptical of it either being a trick/gimmick, or not being really necessary.

We shall see.
    "Because ... I am Doom
    ... What Gods dare stand against me?"

Posting from the dungeon of Castle Doom, Latveria

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Did you commission these at a comicon? They're great!

Quote Originally Posted by THE KZA View Post
    got this done over the weekend by Mike Choi

this one a month ago from Steve Epting

and one more from Joe Eisma

Quote Originally Posted by DoomScribe View Post
    Well Cynthia's appearance was really a surprise on a couple of levels. First is, she's been dead for a really long time, and most of the time my view is that you shouldn't resurrect a dead character just for the heck of it, there has to be a good reason. But Cynthia Von Doom is an odd character to pull out of the pantheon, she has only appeared in one other book that wasn't a retelling of Doom's origin tale. And even then, she didn't actually "appear" in that origin story (other than her name on a headstone in Astonishing Tales #8) until much later, probably not until Triumph and Torment (and that wasn't until 1989). The only other time she has appeared in so far as I recall in continuity, was in Blade 2 (October 2006) , as a witch who was fighting vampires in Latveria, and Blade had traveled back in time at Doom's bequest. The timeline on that one was a little wonky though, because Doom appeared in his original costume, and supposedly Doom "saw" what had happened through his mother's eyes. A weird story. She appeared alone, and was inexplicably battling lots of vampires in a castle, and boasting of being able to see the future.
    I remember reading that Blade story and wishing there was more said about that incident. Why was she in prison? Seems like a lot of things happened during her pregnancy.

There was another story that was only released as a digital comic back when Marvel was experimenting with that. It was Astonishing Tales: Dominic Fortune. It's been a while since I read it and glancing through it, it takes place in pre WWII Europe; specifically 1937 and the big event of the day was the crash of the Hindenberg. During the course of the story ( 6 parts) Dominic meets both the parents of Victor von Doom and T'Challa. But I doubt that it's canon that both of these men were born in the same year, particularly if it is 1937!

Going back to Stan and Jack's original description of Cynthia in FF annual #2 as a "mystic sorceress" and Victor's "mysterious, enchanted mother" most of the information we the reader had of her was second hand. Boris is probably the only other person alive that knew her very well.

BTW, I always wondered who named her Cynthia in Astonishing Tales #8...Gerry Conway I assume? Her name is only shown as an engraving so did Gene Colan put it there himself?

She has appeared in a few (but not very many) alternate universe books and what ifs. House of M, is one, and there she is old. What we saw of her did not look old. (And how come his mother always appears, but there's NEVER been a tale about his father? There has to be a story or three or four of interest there, too.) She has been depicted in these alternate timeline stories as a kind of grand matriarch, a regal lady of the crown. I think that's totally wrong, she's a gypsy, not a royal, even if her son has taken the throne. But the few times Victor has mentioned her, prior to freeing her, it was clear that winning her freedom was really an important goal, one that he was deeply, emotionally invested in. He never really knew her, yet there was this deep attachment. Does that still drive him in some way? Probably not, so having her back is going to be weird, and will require a different kind of relationship.
    I have to say her appearance in House of M has to be my least favorite and also more than a little confusing. Her treachery for one thing. And now that we know that Doom has confessed to being involved if not being entirely responsible for House of M and Disassembled, it makes even less sense to me.

I agree totally about the lack of stories about his father. I think it is because taken together, Astonishing Tales #8 and Triumph and Torment have been highly influential on some writers. Hickman for sure and now Bendis says that these works have played a part in their concept of the character. But one thing that many seem to forget is that it was after his father died that Victor became consumed by rage, despair and a quest to even the score with the world.
    At the end of Infamous Iron Man #1 she's clearly doing some sort of conjuring. So that's good, she's got her hand in the magic realm. She doesn't look old. Is she in another dimension, maybe? How long has she been watching Victor? And if she has, how is it that all this time he seemingly didn't know?

I like that it solidifies Triumph and Torment as in continuity. I wouldn't want her power to be greater than his, though. Victor would not be a man to be cowed by his mom. But has she been meddling somehow? That would seem to be more of a Morgana role, not his mom's.

So I'm interested to see where this will go, but I am skeptical of it either being a trick/gimmick, or not being really necessary.

We shall see.
    Indeed. Maybe Bendis will surprise me but I don't know if this kind of story is in his wheelhouse. Most of the stuff I've read of his does strike me as being joke laden, hipster stuff. I can't imagine him writing a Books of Doom or Triumph and Torment level of work.

I know that Marvel really doesn't like to delve into religious concepts but I preferred that she had gone on to that higher plane where you are no longer bound by earthly matters and has rejoined her husband in the next life.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 11-01-2016 at 01:49 PM.

Did you commission these at a comicon? They're great!
    yea I get them at cons

Quote Originally Posted by THE KZA View Post
    yea I get them at cons
    I should have had more done. I did get a Doom sketch by Mark Bagley once and then I bribed Jonathan Hickman into sketching Doom on a New Avengers #1 cover. For a while I was buying pages and I got one from Jim Chueng from issue #7 of the Avengers Children's Crusade.

Astonishing Member

Its a shame we have never gotten a great live action version of Doom.

Seriously obscure villains like William Stryker and Purple Man have better live action adaptions then Doom, that is criminal.

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    Its a shame we have never gotten a great live action version of Doom.

Seriously obscure villains like William Stryker and Purple Man have better live action adaptions then Doom, that is criminal.
    I hear ya. Look how Loki became a kind of rock start super-villain off the strength of good movie casting.

BANNED

From Avengers #1 per BleedingCool:

Looks like Doom is still in Waid's plans. With Carnage ending and me probably cancelling Black Panther (and maybe Deadpool, as the double shipping plus the almost monthly extra issues/oversized floppies/annuals really hurts my wallet), I might have to add this.

I added this to my pull list last week at my LCS on the chance that Doom would be involved so I will be getting this later today. Since this is one of the few times Waid has written any Doom appearances since Unthinkable I'll be curious to see how his take lines up with Infamous Iron Man.

BANNED

I added this to my pull list last week at my LCS on the chance that Doom would be involved so I will be getting this later today. Since this is one of the few times Waid has written any Doom appearances since Unthinkable I'll be curious to see how his take lines up with Infamous Iron Man.
    I wasn't even aware this was out today. I was gonna add it when it was announced, but Doom was dropped, so I figured I'd skip it. But it's been a long time since I read an Avengers title, and the roster ain't half bad. Spider-Man & Hercules I like a lot (if only there was a good Spider-Man comic out...), Vision & NuThor I can stomach, and FalCap & NuWasp are... there. Them going against Kang is an exciting story though, as I always liked all those cosmic stories. Problem is, I'm afraid Doom is just gonna be a cameo, or a small appearance. Or maybe Waid decided to introduce him later on? I read somewhere Bendis told him "hands off" so he added Spider-Man to the roster, but since the armour in that promo looked nothing like the actual one, maybe that was way back then? Who knows...