Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Mortal Kombat X

Story trailer is awesome. My favorite mode of MK9. I love single player campaigns. Much more than multiplayer stuff.

BANNED

Really? The story mode in 9 was a mess. Besides the story being pretty stupid, and characters (Raiden) doing stuff that didn't make any sense, it also didn't let you play as everyone in the game...it didn't even let you play as everyone that was playable. The story mode also has weird blind spots, like Sub-Zero going away to do something and coming back as a robot. The idea of a story mode is cool, but the story in MK9 was really really stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    Really? The story mode in 9 was a mess. Besides the story being pretty stupid, and characters (Raiden) doing stuff that didn't make any sense, it also didn't let you play as everyone in the game...it didn't even let you play as everyone that was playable. The story mode also has weird blind spots, like Sub-Zero going away to do something and coming back as a robot. The idea of a story mode is cool, but the story in MK9 was really really stupid.
    Sub Zero didn't go away to do something. He got captured by the Lin Kuei after beating Scorpion. Also the story was pretty simply and easy to understand. Or did you just press the skip button on every cutscene? Also calling time travel and reboots being stupid sounds hilarious over here considering comic books live off them.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkNut View Post
    Sub Zero didn't go away to do something. He got captured by the Lin Kuei after beating Scorpion. Also the story was pretty simply and easy to understand. Or did you just press the skip button on every cutscene? Also calling time travel and reboots being stupid sounds hilarious over here considering comic books live off them.
    Yea, they very clearly showed Sub Zero being captured by the Lin Kuei. Obviously, if you didn't pay attention to the cut scenes (which I loved), you'd be lost.

So yes, really. I enjoyed 9's story. They set out to do a reboot of sorts and we got a solid one. Human Smoke was a fan service. One I very much appreciated. Speaking of which, I am very excited that "scar face" Sub Zero is in X. I loved that costume.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkNut View Post
    Did you make an account just to tell me that? Yeah, you're right, I was thinking the last time you saw him was when Jax's arms were blown off, but the last time you see him is right after that when dumb dumb Raiden just lets him get taken. You also can't skip the cutscenes in the story mode...guess because you can't skip art.

I didn't say it wasn't easy to understand, I said it was stupid and Raiden did things that didn't make sense. And it being stupid has nothing at all to do with the idea of time travel or being a reboot. It being stupid has to do with all the stupid things that happen in it, how the story seems to be tone deaf, and all the dumb things Raiden does...but that's just from the story aspect of it. As a mode it's dumb because for some reason it doesn't let you play as everyone; guess they just couldn't fit that into the grand vision they had for the story of MK9.

Raiden is such a dummy in MK9 I'm not sure how they're going to redeem him for this game. When I saw Liu Kang's ending I was like: Yeah, you go get that moron Liu Kang. And then I saw Shang Tsung's and I was like: F this game. Don't frame Liu Kang going against this idiot as a heel turn, and don't make one of the big villains a hero to take him down. And yes, these are character specific endings, I know this, and they have nothing to do with why MK9's story mode is dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    Did you make an account just to tell me that? Yeah, you're right, I was thinking the last time you saw him was when Jax's arms were blown off, but the last time you see him is right after that when dumb dumb Raiden just lets him get taken. You also can't skip the cutscenes in the story mode...guess because you can't skip art.

I didn't say it wasn't easy to understand, I said it was stupid and Raiden did things that didn't make sense. And it being stupid has nothing at all to do with the idea of time travel or being a reboot. It being stupid has to do with all the stupid things that happen in it, how the story seems to be tone deaf, and all the dumb things Raiden does...but that's just from the story aspect of it. As a mode it's dumb because for some reason it doesn't let you play as everyone; guess they just couldn't fit that into the grand vision they had for the story of MK9.

Raiden is such a dummy in MK9 I'm not sure how they're going to redeem him for this game. When I saw Liu Kang's ending I was like: Yeah, you go get that moron Liu Kang. And then I saw Shang Tsung's and I was like: F this game. Don't frame Liu Kang going against this idiot as a heel turn, and don't make one of the big villains a hero to take him down. And yes, these are character specific endings, I know this, and they have nothing to do with why MK9's story mode is dumb.
    LOL, no, I did not make an account to tell you that. Don't be so paranoid. I used to be here before the reset and just came back after a year and I just decided to go the gaming section first since I was hoping for some discussion about Arkham Knight (Which is hardly any, btw!).

Other than that, Raiden was pretty easy to understand. Change the past so the future in the opening cutscene doesn't happen. Simple. What more is there to get about Raiden's motivation? He knew he couldn't repeat the previous timeline because it would end with Shao Kahn winning again so he would have to try something new and that would meaning doing things the original Raiden never did. Also you keep saying Raiden did stupid things but give literally no examples. Sometime people have to do things that they don't like or agree with if it means stopping the villain and that's the whole point of Raiden story in MK9. In the end, Shao Kahn died so I say Raiden did a fine enough job.

BANNED

I wasn't being paranoid, I just saw that you joined this month and your first post was your reply to me about MK.

I didn't say it was hard to understand what Raiden was trying to do. I said Raiden was a dumb dumb who made one stupid decision after another. But yeah, Raiden did a fine job, he got everyone but Johnny Cage and Sonya Blade killed, gave another villain an army of Earths greatest warriors, accidentally killed the hero of Earthrealm, and was only able to "beat" Shao Kahn by letting Shao Kahn do the thing he was trying to do before everyone was killed. The funny thing is Liu Kang also beat Shao Kahn pretty early in the story mode. Surely Raiden knows how powerful this Shao Kahn person is, but nope, like a dumb dumb Raiden doesn't do anything to make sure that Shao Kahn is actually dead. Maybe after Liu Kang punched a hole in Shao Kahn Raiden should have told him to keep punching him, just keep punching this guy he's in a death match with until his head is gone. I mean Raiden does want this guy dead right? Why isn't he letting his team in on the fact that punching a hole in him might not kill him? Could it be because Raiden can't stop doing stupid things in this story? Even if he thinks he's dead, why are they letting his people take his body? Maybe keep that body so some wizard can't bring him back to life. And we know Shao Kahn has people that can't do that, because the next scene after we see Shao Kahn is alive we see Quan Chi bring someone back to life.

BANNED

If you didn't know Johnny Cage was already in the game

Mileena

Cassie Cage

The daughter of Johnny Cage and Sonya Blade, has a lot to live up to. Her parents were among the few kombatants to survive the wars against Outworld and NetherRealm, and were instrumental to EarthRealm's victories. Cassie is as strong-willed--and occasionally hotheaded--as her mother; and as quick-witted as her beloved dad, which makes her popular within her Special Forces unit.

D'Vorah

Is of a race called the Kytinn, which populates the island realm of Arnyek. The solitary nature of the Kytinn meant a common defense of their realm was impossible; thus it was conquered and merged with Outworld by Shao Kahn. D'Vorah's loyalty and insightfulness, unusual traits for a Kytinn, led to her quick political rise.

Ferra/Torr

The dual being known as Ferra/Torr is mysterious even to their closest allies. It's rumored that Torr and Ferra were Outworld citizens, captured and permanently tethered to each other by the evil sorcerer Shang Tsung in the bowels of his Flesh Pits. They're more likely members of a forgotten symbiotic race, in which the 'rider' bonds with a 'mount.' The rider, Ferra, serves as the de facto brains of the duo, while the hulking Torr is the muscle. It's possible they communicate with each other telepathically, or that Ferra can actually understand Torr’s booming grunts. Found roaming the Tarkatan Wastes by Kotal Kahn’s troops, Ferra/Torr were pressed into service as the emperor’s personal bodyguards.

Johnny Cage

Hollywood action hero Johnny Cage entered his first Mortal Kombat tournament for the publicity. Raiden observed that the arrogant, loquacious Cage, was 'a hero. .. though he may not yet know it.' Raiden was correct, of course: Johnny's martial arts skills were not special effects--and were pivotal in EarthRealm's victory.

Kano

Kano is a member of the Black Dragon, a group of international arms dealers. Sonya, Jax and the Special Forces have been trying to shut them down for decades. Though he's from EarthRealm (Australia), Kano usually sides with his home realm's enemies. In the past he provided high tech weapons both to Shao Kahn's Outworld armies and Shinnok and Quan Chi of the NetherRealm. After Shinnok's defeat Kano returned to Outworld, keeping a low profile but making a tidy profit running guns from Earth to Outworld.

Kotal Khan

Kotal Khan was a young boy in the warrior realm of Osh-Tekk when it was merged with Outworld by Shao Kahn. He grew up admiring the Outworld emperor. But Kotal kept hidden from Shao Kahn a secret Osh-Tekk portal to EarthRealm. Kotal's 'magical' appearances and demonstrations of great power in EarthRealm led its inhabitants to declare him a god, whom they called Buluc. After Shao Kahn was killed in the war with EarthRealm, Kotal served Shao Kahn’s heir Mileena. But her instability eventually led Kotal to overthrow her and assume the emperorship.

Mileena

Perceiving a lack of loyalty in his adopted daughter, Kitana, Shao Kahn ordered Shang Tsung to create a replacement, a daughter worthy to be his heir. Shang Tsung fulfilled Shao Kahn's order by fusing Tarkatan DNA with Kitana’s. The resulting hybrid Mileena is as bloodthirsty and vicious as a Tarkatan, but possesses the martial artistry and poise of an Edenian.

Raiden

Raiden is the God of Thunder and the Protector of EarthRealm. Millennia ago he and the Elder Gods defeated Shinnok, who sought dominion over the realms. More recently, Raiden thwarted Outworld's attempts to conquer and merge with EarthRealm. However victory came at great cost. Many of Raiden's closest allies were killed in the battle. Raiden's strength was further tested when an escaped Shinnok’s NetherRealm armies attacked an EarthRealm weakened by war. Ultimately Raiden imprisoned Shinnok again--this time in Shinnok's own Amulet.

Scorpion

Hanzo Hasashi was a member of the Shirai-Ryu assassin clan until they and his family were killed by Sub-Zero of the rival Lin Kuei clan. Hanzo's soul was claimed by the NetherRealm sorcerer Quan Chi, who resurrected him as the revenant Scorpion and gave him the chance to avenge his family's deaths.

Sub-Zero

Kuai Liang and his older brother Bi-Han served the Lin Kuei assassin clan faithfully until the first Mortal Kombat tournament. There Bi-Han, code-named Sub-Zero, was killed by the demon Scorpion. Kuai Liang assumed the Sub-Zero mantle and went to Outworld to find his brother's killer.

Images for the other characters on Amazon page.
    Last edited by simbob4000; 03-11-2015 at 02:52 PM.

I saw the leak that showed him, is he confirmed a playable character? If so, that kind of...sucks =/ I kinda viewed Cassie Cage as a sort of legacy character, why add Sonya and Johnny Cage if you have their child?

Amazing Member

I'm a little disappointed with the characters that have come back (Sub-Zero and Scorpion you expect). But for the more competitive types, I guess it's better to have characters you're familiar with. There's still room on the roster I guess.

So have about 5 more spots left.

I suspect: Sonya, Jax, Shinnok, Kenshi and Erron Black.

Sonya just got revealed in the Cage Family video.

While nice to see both Sonya and Johnny playable, from a gameplay stand point they feel pointless since Cassie Cage's figthing variations implement their moves into them already.

And the three I want to see is Havik, Fujin and Tremor.

I'm so glad they didn't go over the top ridiculous with the female costumes (which can be a problem in fighting games). But I don't know if I'll get it, as the gore is just too much for me.

Cyrax and sektor were teased yesterday

I wonder how Cassie must feel, what with her mother looking so much younger than her and all that.