View Poll Results: whats up with Superman ?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • bad story telling ?

32 74.42%
  • bad casting

1 2.33%
  • not following the comics ?

10 23.26%
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeoStar9X View Post
    This. People don't go around all day smiling like they don't have a care in the world. Clark/Superman has a life and is allowed to be a person that has a range of emotions. That means like a normal person he can be happy, disappointed, annoyed, content, etc. What we're getting is a character arc for Superman. Something he did not have in the past films. Even in the comics he's allowed to show a wide range of emotion and emotional states. He doesn't walk around, even as Superman, like he doesn't have a care in the world. Let's be honest here. Clark if he was on Krypton would be just another guy with a range of emotions, etc. Him being on Earth just gives him powers. It doesn't take away those aspect that make a person a person and Kryptonians are shown to be very close to Humans so he would naturally act like a human would, especially since he was raised by them.

I've long felt and believed many people like the idea of Superman and not Superman as a character because when you allow him to be an actual character, to have an actual character arc and development, people complain or say he's not acting like Superman when in truth they don't know what Superman is suppose to act like because they've not taken the time to really pay attention to how he acts and what his personality is like in the source material in comics or even other adaptions of the character like the cartoons or TV shows. For example it's always interesting to see people respond when people see Superman being a dick to people like Lex example. Yeah that's part of his personality when it comes to certain characters he interacts with. That's Superman being Superman.
    then there is interactions with darksied in the DCAU. supes doesn't kill willingly or if he can help it. a few times he was tempted into just vaping lex into ash like the justice lord superman but he doesn't. darksied is different. not only did he murder one of supes' closest friends in front of him but he brainwashed him and turned him on earth to the point where the world lost their trust him and another of his close friends came to fear him and join a group dedicated to bringing down him and the JL. clark hates darksied with a passion and is the only villain that would push him to out right murder. that's character development.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    1.) The plan with Superman, from the start, was to put him through a journey in which he BECOMES the Superman you describe. He was supposed to work up to it so that when he gets there, it'll look like something he earned instead of something that was just part of who he was from the start.

2.) You'd be depressed too if you saved people every day and the world was still lining up to tell you that you suck.

3.) He's not depressed all the time. He's a human being, like every other. Whenever the movies gave him a reason to smile and be happy, he smiled and was happy. He smiled and showed joy when visiting his mom in MOS, when he was flirting with Lois, when he first took to the sky and flew, when he started his new job at the Planet, when he was in that bathtub with Lois, and when he was doing his job as Clark Kent. He only seems depressed because the movies have thrown a lot of bad stuff at him and he has had very little reason to smile and be cheerful.

Now that the movies are lightening up and Superman is about to return from the dead with a new lease on life, you're probably going to see his personality change pretty fast.
    Thank you. I"m honestly fed up with this discussion. Its clear most people will never be satisfied with Superman on screen. Nothing is good enough. They apparently want Superman to be grinning like he is mentally ill.
    Life is but a dream

Quote Originally Posted by 2britishnerdz View Post
    from seeing the last two movies with Superman i find superman so down , depressed and boring..... its like his persona and his substance has been sucked out of him and replaced within emptiness . He is totally lifeless WB really need to stay true to the substance that makes up Superman ! i hope we see a new Superman in justice league .
    Really looking forward to seeing how Superman is depicted on the second season of Supergirl. From everything I have read it looks like we will be getting the real Superman.

1.) The plan with Superman, from the start, was to put him through a journey in which he BECOMES the Superman you describe. He was supposed to work up to it so that when he gets there, it'll look like something he earned instead of something that was just part of who he was from the start.

2.) You'd be depressed too if you saved people every day and the world was still lining up to tell you that you suck.

3.) He's not depressed all the time. He's a human being, like every other. Whenever the movies gave him a reason to smile and be happy, he smiled and was happy. He smiled and showed joy when visiting his mom in MOS, when he was flirting with Lois, when he first took to the sky and flew, when he started his new job at the Planet, when he was in that bathtub with Lois, and when he was doing his job as Clark Kent. He only seems depressed because the movies have thrown a lot of bad stuff at him and he has had very little reason to smile and be cheerful.

Now that the movies are lightening up and Superman is about to return from the dead with a new lease on life, you're probably going to see his personality change pretty fast.
    2) Isn't really an argument. It's something no less made up to explain Superman's state of mind than Superman's state of mind itself. It's part and parcel to the issue.

3) If what he was doing during his first flight was supposed to be smiling, I couldn't tell. Mostly frowns with 4 layers of vertical furrows between his eyes, and grimaces that tangentially approach what could conceivably be considered to be a smile by someone who only knows about smiles from written sources.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    Thank you. I"m honestly fed up with this discussion. Its clear most people will never be satisfied with Superman on screen. Nothing is good enough. They apparently want Superman to be grinning like he is mentally ill.
    George Reeves' Superman grinned a lot and I never got the idea he was grinning because he was mentally ill. It more seemed he was bemused by the stupidity of everyone around him. I guess that is the Superman I prefer. One that is bold and confident. Happy and proud to be a hero who knows he is helping people and making a difference. Not some woe is me, why does nobody love me, why was this burden thrust upon me type of superhero.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    George Reeves' Superman grinned a lot and I never got the idea he was grinning because he was mentally ill. It more seemed he was bemused by the stupidity of everyone around him. I guess that is the Superman I prefer. One that is bold and confident. Happy and proud to be a hero who knows he is helping people and making a difference. Not some woe is me, why does nobody love me, why was this burden thrust upon me type of superhero.
    @bold
    You could be describing Spider-Man, the X-Men, Iron Man, and Captain America you know? Not that Cavil Superman has ever said or communicated these things, but it is amusing to note attributes that people would say build character for other heroes, is a 'detriment' to Superman. Casual reminder, that Superman in MOS and BvS does nothing but help people, despite how the world feels about. That includes saving a murdering maniac like Luthor's life. Luthor who also abducted Superman's mom and threatened her with death. Superman saved Luthor and died saving the entire planet from his monster (Doomsday).

Not that he gets any credit for it.

Extraordinary Member

1.)

You could have just stuck to the bolded text and I think that statement would be more correct

It's weird how I'm watching season 2 of Angel and the Vampire with a tortured soul on a quest for redemption seems more upbeat than the last two movie outings for Superman.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

So is there a single person that thinks Superman has been served well at the Movies in the new century? Have any of his last three apperences actually made fans of Superman happy and proud to point to the portrayal and say "that's my Superman"?

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    You could have just stuck to the bolded text and I think that statement would be more correct
    Nope. Every word I wrote was correct unless you can prove that Snyder was lying about taking Superman through a journey, or if you can prove that people do go grinning through life when the entire world hates them, or if you can prove that I'm lying about all those moments where he DID show genuine happiness in the movies.

It's weird how I'm watching season 2 of Angel and the Vampire with a tortured soul on a quest for redemption seems more upbeat than the last two movie outings for Superman.
    Oh, please! Angel is INFAMOUS for his brooding ways. To the point where he jokes about it himself in later seasons. Just like Superman, he has moments of upbeat attitude, and looooong moments of being dark, broody, and wracked with guilt or rage.

If you are counting sheer number of upbeat moments? You may recall that Angel has many hours of collective screen time compared to Clark's handful of collective hours?

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    So is there a single person that thinks Superman has been served well at the Movies in the new century? Have any of his last three apperences actually made fans of Superman happy and proud to point to the portrayal and say "that's my Superman"?
    I like the idea of watching him evolve into Superman. I don't find him needlessly depressing or broody. I see him as a man who is going through some tough times. I see him as a man who has put his life on the line to protect innocent people. I see him as a man who learned from his past mistakes and DIED to protect people, even when they were giving him no reason at all to feel any loyalty to them.

Was I happy and proud when he turned himself over to Zod, rather than endanger the Earth? Yep. Was I happy and proud when he fought to defend us once it was clear to him what Zod would do to us? Yep. Was I happy and proud when he went on to continue saving people, without thought of recognition or reward? Yep. Was I happy and proud to see that he tried to stand up for the people of Gotham by confronting an increasingly out-of-control Batman? Yep. Was I happy and proud to see him save the life of the man who just tried to force him to murder a man for his amusement? Yep. Was I happy and proud to see him learn from his past mistakes and try to take Doomsday FAR away from potential civilian casualties? Yep. Was I happy and proud to see him willingly take a nuclear blast (which he had no reason to believe he could survive) in order to stop Doomsday? Yep. Was I happy and proud when he endangered his own life in order to stop Doomsday and was willing to die to save the world? Yep. Was I happy and proud to see that his noble death finally showed the world that they were wrong about him? Yep. Was I happy and proud to see him literally save Batman's soul and bring him back to being the hero he's supposed to be? Yep. Was I happy and proud to see Batman and Wonder Woman go off to establish the Justice League in his honor? Yep.

He's not the perfect Superman. Yet. But he's getting there, and he's already done a lot of the things that Superman is supposed to do.
    Last edited by Vanguard-01; 08-30-2016 at 07:23 AM.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Forseti View Post
    2) Isn't really an argument. It's something no less made up to explain Superman's state of mind than Superman's state of mind itself. It's part and parcel to the issue.
    The OP asked why DCEU Superman is depressed. Vanguard gave the in universe reasons why. Yeah, they're made up. Just like everything else about Superman is made up, so this is kind of a non-argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Forseti View Post
    3) If what he was doing during his first flight was supposed to be smiling, I couldn't tell. Mostly frowns with 4 layers of vertical furrows between his eyes, and grimaces that tangentially approach what could conceivably be considered to be a smile by someone who only knows about smiles from written sources.
    Okay, now you're just being ridiculous with this.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Judging by the loyal fan base of Mos and BvS and box-office I'd say yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    @bold
    You could be describing Spider-Man, the X-Men, Iron Man, and Captain America you know? Not that Cavil Superman has ever said or communicated these things, but it is amusing to note attributes that people would say build character for other heroes, is a 'detriment' to Superman. Casual reminder, that Superman in MOS and BvS does nothing but help people, despite how the world feels about. That includes saving a murdering maniac like Luthor's life. Luthor who also abducted Superman's mom and threatened her with death. Superman saved Luthor and died saving the entire planet from his monster (Doomsday).

Not that he gets any credit for it.

Ironman and cap act like being a hero is a burden? Captain Americas personality is closer to comics superman then Snyders version. Ironman is a narcissist who gets off on being Ironman. Xmen are suppose to be like that, same for spiderman. Thats just how those characters were made. Xmen persecuted, and protecting people who hate them. Spiderman is a kid ith the weight of the world on his shoulders. Superman doesnt compare to the xmen, almost no one loves mutants. Superman gets atleast as much love as hate similar to spiderman. Except superman isnt a angsty kid.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The OP asked why DCEU Superman is depressed. Vanguard gave the in universe reasons why. Yeah, they're made up. Just like everything else about Superman is made up, so this is kind of a non-argument.
    Yep. Just like Tony Stark and Steve Roger's reasons for instantly going to war with each other rather than sitting down like two adults and trying to find a solution were made up in Civil War.

EVERYTHING in fiction is made up.

Okay, now you're just being ridiculous with this.
    Definitely.

For God's sake, he actually LAUGHS when he first feels himself start to defy gravity. If that's not "smiling" and "being positive" then I don't know what is.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Yep. Just like Tony Stark and Steve Roger's reasons for instantly going to war with each other rather than sitting down like two adults and trying to find a solution were made up in Civil War.

EVERYTHING in fiction is made up.

Definitely.

For God's sake, he actually LAUGHS when he first feels himself start to defy gravity. If that's not "smiling" and "being positive" then I don't know what is.

Steve listeins to Tonys side twice, almost signs untill he finds out about wanda being kept on lockdown and Bucky escapes. Then stopping the other winter soldiers becomes the priority ironman wont listein so they have to go through them.

Thats one scene of the movie, one of the few i really liked. The muted colors lessened its impact, Jor El's speech is the most supermanish moment in the movie imo

He doesn't laugh. He says: "ha, ha".