Page 8 of 184 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey616 View Post
    Spidey merch revealed

I already knew about this merchandise time ago. It seems we will still have a "Web Warriors" in this series. Spider-Man, Miles Morales and Gwen have been confirmed, and Venom too. However, I hope they won't be the only ones. I have a few ideas about what it can comes in this series:

+ Peter Parker/Spider-Man: Confirmed, obviously.
    + Gwen Stacy/Spider-Gwen: Confirmed.
    + Miles Morales/Kid-Arachnid???: Confirmed. However, I think he needs a better codename.

+ Anya Corazon/Araña/Spider-Girl: Stephen Wacker mentioned that there were plans for this character in the future, so maybe she will debut here.
    + Flash Thompson/Agent Venom: Well, it's obvious the classic Venom will appear, but I want Flash as Agent Venom after sometime of this.
    + Mary Jane Watson/Iron Spider: I loved to see her in "Ultimate Spider-Man" as Spider-Woman, so I wanted to see her as an heroine here too. Of course, Spider-Island's powers and Iron Spider's armor is much better that bonded to Carnage.
    + Kaine/Ben Reilly/Scarlet Spider: The Scarlet Spider of "Ultimate Spider-Man" was really interesting, merging traces from both Kaine as Ben Reilly as Scarlet Spider. They should do it again in this series.
    + Jessica Drew/Spider-Woman: Kaine as the bad clone and the name of Ben Reilly, then Jessica Drew (her ultimate Version) should appear as the good clone of Peter.
    + Julia Carpenter/Madame Web: This version of the character in "Ultimate Spider-Man" was really attractive, and I wanted to see more of her in action. So I think they should repeat something like this again in the new series.

A Spider Team with a mind (either Spidey or Madame Web) and 8 legs. What do you think?

If those shirts and stuff are an accurate representation of the animation style, I like it (even if I'd prefer a solo Peter Park outing). It looks like fun.

If it's a Web Warriors type concept with these three kids navigating the Spider-Verse and teaming up with different AU Spider-Men/Women/Girls/Boys/Hams each episode and exploring their respective universe then I could dig it. Would love to see Spider-Punk and Lady Spider's worlds in animation. And oh yeah, Spider-Man India's too (where Meera Jain is jarringly not whitewashed like in the WW comic hopefully ) It would be insane if they did a 60's animated Spider-Man themed episode too.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Slott's involvement is not very encouraging to me (since I don't enjoy his take on the character). Having Miles and Spider-Gwen is something I could see backfiring and not what I would've hoped for (I wanted something more like the Peter Parker-era Ultimate Spider-Man comic that Bendis did).

But the show could be fun and at worse, even if it's not the setup we want, it could be interesting as another way to look at the characters. I have to admit that I'd be kind of curious to see Miles and Spider-Gwen as a couple in the series. And I really want to see Mary Jane Watson around, preferably dating Peter.
    Wacker has confirmed multiple times that there will be little-to-no-romance in Marvel shows for the foreseeable future so I doubt meaningful dating is going to happen here.

I think they're shooting for a blend of the two previous shows, Spectacular and Ultimate. I think this is still going to be primarily street-level and will have a more serialized nature in the style of Spectacular, but at the same time I doubt it will get as dark as Spectacular could get, and it'll be more like Ultimate with a nearly-celibate Peter and a team dynamic.

I also don't think Gwen and Miles will be empowered right away. I expect they will be friends of Peter, though, with Gwen fulfilling the childhood friend role and Miles being a newer, more introverted/nerdier friend. As the first season goes along, though, both Gwen and Miles will discover Peter's identity and get powers of their own (likely directly or indirectly because of Peter). Peter will feel like it's his fault that they have powers too and he'll take the lead of the power trio despite his own inexperience due to wanting to own the responsibility.

So ultimately I expect this will be closer to a back to basics type of show but it will still be beholden to Marvel's needs to sell merchandise and try to build up other characters so they can be marketed too. I expect Venom will be backed up by a pair of symbiotes as well (Carnage for sure and probably a female symbiote like Scream) to form a parallel to the Spider-Trio. I expect mostly Spidey villains this go-around as well, but with some guest starring roles from outside Peter's typical rogues to give a greater challenge and a team-up opportunity with another significant Marvel hero. In addition, I think it's a near-certainty the Sinister Six will be formed as well.

Quote Originally Posted by macattack View Post
    Wacker has confirmed multiple times that there will be little-to-no-romance in Marvel shows for the foreseeable future so I doubt meaningful dating is going to happen here.
    But that's no fun, especially for a Spider-Man cartoon .

Hope that doesn't limit the female characters they use on the show, and that Gwen and Aunt May aren't the only prominent female characters (powered or otherwise).

The little to no romance thing is so silly. One of the biggest reasons Young Justice cultivated such a big fanbase was because of all the hook-ups. And teen based stories and romance go hand in hand.

Also, it's weird that Spider-Man: Homecoming is pushing the teen crush angle to the forefront in its trailers while tv animation wants to downplay that aspect. Has the Perlmutter/Feige rift put the brakes on all the corporate synergizing?

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    The little to no romance thing is so silly. One of the biggest reasons Young Justice cultivated such a big fanbase was because of all the hook-ups. And teen based stories and romance go hand in hand.

Also, it's weird that Spider-Man: Homecoming is pushing the teen crush angle to the forefront in its trailers while tv animation wants to downplay that aspect. Has the Perlmutter/Feige rift put the brakes on all the corporate synergizing?
    Young Justice has an enormous fanbase but its kid fanbase has always been questionable (the reason why the show was cancelled was because the toy sales were terrible). Like it or not Marvel's rolling with the assumption that its target audience doesn't want to see kissing. This is still left over from when Loeb directly ran the animation department, because it was him who put the brakes on all romance in Marvel toons (along with Quesada).

I don't think this will necessarily limit the amount of female characters on the show, however. I think Marvel wants the cartoons to reach out to girls more so I expect there to be more female characters in comparison to previous shows. I also expect Gwen's characterization to fall into the current Disney trend of "strong and independent" so I won't be shocked if she's outgoing and athletic in this show.

Wacker is on record saying that they had vague ideas of what Homecoming was going to do but nothing concrete, so this show will largely be independent of Homecoming. And that's honestly for the best. Avengers Assemble could never muster being more than a half-baked, dumbed-down version of the Avengers movie franchise. Hopefully this new show can be something more than the current Marvel shows have been.

Young Justice has an enormous fanbase but its kid fanbase has always been questionable (the reason why the show was cancelled was because the toy sales were terrible). Like it or not Marvel's rolling with the assumption that its target audience doesn't want to see kissing. This is still left over from when Loeb directly ran the animation department, because it was him who put the brakes on all romance in Marvel toons (along with Quesada).

I don't think this will necessarily limit the amount of female characters on the show, however. I think Marvel wants the cartoons to reach out to girls more so I expect there to be more female characters in comparison to previous shows. I also expect Gwen's characterization to fall into the current Disney trend of "strong and independent" so I won't be shocked if she's outgoing and athletic in this show.

Wacker is on record saying that they had vague ideas of what Homecoming was going to do but nothing concrete, so this show will largely be independent of Homecoming. And that's honestly for the best. Avengers Assemble could never muster being more than a half-baked, dumbed-down version of the Avengers movie franchise. Hopefully this new show can be something more than the current Marvel shows have been.
    Yeah, I know. Little boys ate up USM like crazy and there was no secret that it was aimed squarely at the Ben 10 audience. While toons like Spectacular and YJ attracted more mature and diverse demos and YJ suffered for it because of the unfortunate dependence on toy manufacturers.

I hope Gwen is not a token female character though (with Aunt May being supporting like in Amazing Friends). Disney definitely bought Marvel to cater to boys because they thought the Disney Princess brand was enough for their girl demos and while things are slowly changing now, it is still happening at a snail pace.

I don't think Avengers Assemble was necessarily bad because it tried to ape the movie (though the loss of Janet and to a lesser extent, Hank, was felt to a big degree). The writing on the show was just not particularly ambitious, as with most Marvel toons now.

I think they're shooting for a blend of the two previous shows, Spectacular and Ultimate. I think this is still going to be primarily street-level and will have a more serialized nature in the style of Spectacular, but at the same time I doubt it will get as dark as Spectacular could get, and it'll be more like Ultimate with a nearly-celibate Peter and a team dynamic.

I also don't think Gwen and Miles will be empowered right away. I expect they will be friends of Peter, though, with Gwen fulfilling the childhood friend role and Miles being a newer, more introverted/nerdier friend. As the first season goes along, though, both Gwen and Miles will discover Peter's identity and get powers of their own (likely directly or indirectly because of Peter). Peter will feel like it's his fault that they have powers too and he'll take the lead of the power trio despite his own inexperience due to wanting to own the responsibility.

So ultimately I expect this will be closer to a back to basics type of show but it will still be beholden to Marvel's needs to sell merchandise and try to build up other characters so they can be marketed too. I expect Venom will be backed up by a pair of symbiotes as well (Carnage for sure and probably a female symbiote like Scream) to form a parallel to the Spider-Trio. I expect mostly Spidey villains this go-around as well, but with some guest starring roles from outside Peter's typical rogues to give a greater challenge and a team-up opportunity with another significant Marvel hero. In addition, I think it's a near-certainty the Sinister Six will be formed as well.
    No romance in a Spider-Man show? Who the hell do they think Spider-Man is? I need my Pete/MJ fix.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    No romance in a Spider-Man show? Who the hell do they think Spider-Man is? I need my Pete/MJ fix.
    Well, if the purpose of the show is to sell toys, and squicky girly stuff does not sell toys then....

Yeah, I know. Little boys ate up USM like crazy and there was no secret that it was aimed squarely at the Ben 10 audience. While toons like Spectacular and YJ attracted more mature and diverse demos and YJ suffered for it because of the unfortunate dependence on toy manufacturers.

I hope Gwen is not a token female character though (with Aunt May being supporting like in Amazing Friends). Disney definitely bought Marvel to cater to boys because they thought the Disney Princess brand was enough for their girl demos and while things are slowly changing now, it is still happening at a snail pace.

I don't think Avengers Assemble was necessarily bad because it tried to ape the movie (though the loss of Janet and to a lesser extent, Hank, was felt to a big degree). The writing on the show was just not particularly ambitious, as with most Marvel toons now.
    There is a reason why Man of Action continues to recycle the Ben Tennyson character in every animated project they do no matter the property or who the character technically is. An obnoxious kid who learns nothing from his experiences and yells all the time. Until their work starts bombing, they're just going to turn everybody into Ben Tennyson, the newest victim being Mega Man.

I think Disney wants to walk a line with getting female demos but not while alienating male ones. I do expect there to be a Spectacular-esque ratio between male and female characters, however, as a way to draw girls in without alienating boys. Gwen being a supporting protagonist is likely a move to accomplish this, because there are clear plans for girl-aimed merchandise exclusively featuring Gwen.

Avengers Assemble was terrible because the writing was typical MoA schlock transposed onto characters the schlock is ill-suited for, and slavishly aped the movie at every possible turn. It has not been until recent episodes that any effort has been made to separate the cartoon from the movie, and even then the writing lacks any sort of soul or drive. It's like a crappy 80's cartoon awkwardly trying to segue into the early 90's in order to stay relevant, except it's, well, today.

Tell that to Loeb and Quesada.

Unless she gets a costume or has some kind of role that necessitates her showing up in a prominent way, I wouldn't be surprised if MJ doesn't appear that much or has as minor a role as she did in USM up to season 4.

Especially with Gwen seemingly set as the female lead and Wacker/Slott working together on this show.

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Flirting is gonna happen in animated shows, bro. Marriage, not so much for teenagers, but if this doesn't play out in the hyper-active talking in his head manner that Ultimate Spider-Man did, which was annoying to me, I would be fine with it.

Yup and as I recall the Powers That Be (at the Network where it aired) canceled that show, in spite of its high ratings and compelling storylines, because it drew too much from the wrong demographic (young females rather than young males). Which was such a shame in my opinion.
    Last edited by Celgress; 01-02-2017 at 05:24 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard200904 View Post
    Flirting is gonna happen in animated shows, bro. Marriage, not so much for teenagers, but if this doesn't play out in the hyper-active talking in his head manner that Ultimate Spider-Man did, which was annoying to me, I would be fine with it.
    Again tell this to Loeb, Quesada, Wacker, and Slott, not me.