Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Women cleaning up after men even in the Silver Age comics industry. Typical!
    During that time, Severin, Romita Sr. and John Verpoorten were part of Marvel's production staff, so they did the bulk of the art corrections/alterations.

ETA
    And I see I have not yet submitted a cover for this week's contest! Stay tuned...
    Last edited by Shalla Bal; 09-27-2018 at 05:17 PM.

Astonishing Member

I pity the fool who doesn't vote for this cover.

s-l640.jpg
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

Captain Marvel #10 (1968)

"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    http://www.mikesamazingworld.com/mik.../newsstand.php

You can search by creator on this site as well.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

The Cat cover was inked my Severin but obviously penciled by the great Wally Wood. I guess inking counts as a cover by her.

This is one of the first comics I remember owning.

Last edited by icctrombone; 10-01-2018 at 07:33 PM.

Icctrombone, that is John Severin inking Herb Trimpe.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by icctrombone View Post
    The Cat cover was inked my Severin but obviously penciled by the great Wally Wood. I guess inking counts as a cover by her.
    I think it might be the other way around. But either way it is allowed.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Pardon my ignorance folks, but I've seen separate credits for both "Penciller" and "Artist."
    Is the distinction that, the "Penciller" credit goes to someone if they did the rough sketch only with others inking and coloring, but "Artist" goes to someone who did all three?

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    Pardon my ignorance folks, but I've seen separate credits for both "Penciller" and "Artist."
    Is the distinction that, the "Penciller" credit goes to someone if they did the rough sketch only with others inking and coloring, but "Artist" goes to someone who did all three?
    The colorist is not included in the Penciler or Artist credit.

Penciler usually meant someone who did tight/full/complete pencils, which were then inked (so the inker would get a straightforward Inker credit).

Artist

• If only one person is named, then Artist meant someone who did both the penciling and inking.
    • If someone is credited as Artist but there is also a separate person who is credited as (usually) Embellisher or Finisher, than that means the Artist provided loose, rough pencils/breakdowns/layouts, which were then embellished or finished by the inker. The inker would be credited as Emebellisher or Finisher. Finishing or embellishing looser pencils required more work than just inking over full pencils, so the pay rate for embellishing and finishing was higher.

(This is based on 1960s-80s Marvel. May have been different in other companies and later on)

Related:
    Sometimes you'd see a layouts person, a penciler and an inker, as in the case of all those comics Kirby laid out in the '60s. This meant Kirby did loosh-ish pencils or layouts... someone else penciled over those... and a third person then inked. Example: Cap story in Tales of Suspense: #77: layouts by Kirby, pencils by Romita, inks by Giacoia.
    Last edited by Shalla Bal; 09-30-2018 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I think it might be the other way around. But either way it is allowed.
    Yes, it was penciled by Severin (Marie) and inked by Wood, as you said.

A good (print) resource is the TwoMorrows book about her.

Have always loved this cover: the details, the atmosphere

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    http://www.mikesamazingworld.com/mik.../newsstand.php

You can search by creator on this site as well.
    Mike, the site's creator, has said he stopped updating the site in 2017...so some of its creator credits are not up to date.

But it's still an invaluable site, especially its Newsstand feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Shalla Bal View Post
    The colorist is not included in the Penciler or Artist credit.

Penciler usually meant someone who did tight/full/complete pencils, which were then inked (so the inker would get a straightforward Inker credit).

Artist

• If only one person is named, then Artist meant someone who did both the penciling and inking.
    • If someone is credited as Artist but there is also a separate person who is credited as (usually) Embellisher or Finisher, than that means the Artist provided loose, rough pencils/breakdowns/layouts, which were then embellished or finished by the inker. The inker would be credited as Emebellisher or Finisher. Finishing or embellishing looser pencils required more work than just inking over full pencils, so the pay rate for embellishing and finishing was higher.

(This is based on 1960s-80s Marvel. May have been different in other companies and later on)

Related:
    Sometimes you'd see a layouts person, a penciler and an inker, as in the case of all those comics Kirby laid out in the '60s. This meant Kirby did loosh-ish pencils or layouts... someone else penciled over those... and a third person then inked. Example: Cap story in Tales of Suspense: #77: layouts by Kirby, pencils by Romita, inks by Giacoia.
    Thanks for the clarification Shalla.

Mike, the site's creator, has said he stopped updating the site in 2017...so some of its creator credits are not up to date.

But it's still an invaluable site, especially its Newsstand feature.
    And thanks for this as well.