Page 59 of 65 FirstFirst ... 949555657585960616263 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Also, as I scroll through I'm seeing a lot of weird paranoia springing up about who's gonna win and why...

Don't fall down that road, kiddos. The Winners were selected by myself and Matt, with input from Marc and some of our other staff - obviously taste will play a part in that, and maybe that may mean that someone who really feels they deserved to win won't. I'm sorry if that's the case - there were a couple people I might've fought harder for if it were possible, but I'm not the Talent Hunt Dictator - and all that means is that I'll do my best to advance those people's careers as and Editor, outside of the Talent Hunt.

But as for someone like Pauul using his freakish-encyclopedic knowledge of the TCU as some sort of tactic...don't believe it. I don't know the guy at all, but I've read pretty much every post in here, and his all smack of someone who just wants to help.

I'll start diving into the scripts on here this weekend (on a field trip with my students to Orlando right now).

Here are my scripts if anyone is interested. Feedback welcome, even if it's harsh. I've written a lot of prose, but am still a relative newbie at comic scripts.

Carnival of Regret

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jwmq0fq0ig...gret.docx?dl=0

Parallel Lives

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8eue03uzop...ives.docx?dl=0
    Last edited by RamblingBeachCat; 05-26-2015 at 09:13 AM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cow Ryan View Post
    As I sit here, bleary-eyed in the George Bush International Airport, in Houston, Texas, running on no sleep and just praying that my plane will take off, I am reminded that the winners will be going live pretty shortly. So I just wanted to extend an enthusiastic, albeit exhausted, thank you, to all of you, for submitting.

This year, more than any so far, made me wish we could open up a whole slew of slots for runners up and winners, because so many of you have created art that is deserving of publication. I can only hope that this means you've found creative partners through this process, or at least realized that you've hit your creative stride, and your career is already looming bright and shiny in your optimistic comics' baby eyes.

Seriously. I am humbled. That you all took so much effort to produce so much beautiful art and script for me to squint at in the wee hours of the night, appreciating it all by myself like some kind of Editorial Smeagol, means so much to me.

I hope to see a whole lot more from all of you, winners or runners up or Secret Top 10s and Top 40s That Only Matt and I Know About.

Keep up the good work, gang - you've all been the best.
    Thanks for the kind words man. I raise my metaphorical glass to all here for their hard work, and the guts to put themselves out there and to create something. I can only speak for myself but, even though I did not win I learned s lot, I learned about myself, I learned about Top Cow, and it's characters. And I also learned about the business of comics. So thank you

Spectacular Member

But as for someone like Pauul using his freakish-encyclopedic knowledge of the TCU as some sort of tactic...don't believe it. I don't know the guy at all, but I've read pretty much every post in here, and his all smack of someone who just wants to help.
    Thank you, Ryan.

Although I do love a good conspiracy theory, I can confirm that I'm not an evil genius.

I know with something like this, it can feel like you're in competition with people, but I'm friends with a lot of other writers and I always want them to do their best.

The same for the folk on here.

I hope a lot of you enter next year and win this thing.

Or, as in my case, get a Writing Runners-Up spot. Which is just as awesome.

Helping people out is totally not a strategy for winning, but I hope you guys do come back next year and help out any new arrivals.

You want to use the strategy that I actually used? Research the hell out of the material. Read every single thing you can find. Start with IXth Generation, pick up the Aphrodite IX hardcover, go read every issue of Cyber Force Rebirth and then, once you've learned everything you can about the IXth Generation world, go pick up other Top Cow books to learn about the Artifacts.

Know everything there is to know so you can use continuity to your advantage.

If you're new to comic book writing, pick up books on comic book writing. Practice. Hone your skills.

And when the Talent Hunt comes around again, give it your all. Come up with great ideas. If you have time, write more than one script, to show how varied your writing can be.

I look forward to seeing which of you win next year.

All-New Member

Congrats Pauul, and all the other winners - well done!

And in terms of this from Top Cow Ryan: "I hope to see a whole lot more from all of you, winners or runners up or Secret Top 10s and Top 40s That Only Matt and I Know About." All I can say is this

OH-OH-OH LORD, I WANT TO BE IN THAT NUMBER, WHEN THE SAINTS GO MARCHIN' IN!

Quote Originally Posted by Pauul View Post
    Thank you, Ryan.

Although I do love a good conspiracy theory, I can confirm that I'm not an evil genius.

I know with something like this, it can feel like you're in competition with people, but I'm friends with a lot of other writers and I always want them to do their best.

Helping people out is totally not a strategy for winning, but I hope you guys do come back next year and help out any new arrivals.

You want to use the strategy that I actually used? Research the hell out of the material. Read every single thing you can find. Start with IXth Generation, pick up the Aphrodite IX hardcover, go read every issue of Cyber Force Rebirth and then, once you've learned everything you can about the IXth Generation world, go pick up other Top Cow books to learn about the Artifacts.

If you're new to comic book writing, pick up books on comic book writing. Practice. Hone your skills.

And when the Talent Hunt comes around again, give it your all. Come up with great ideas. If you have time, write more than one script, to show how varied your writing can be.

Pssshh...don't think you can fool us, Paul. We're all well aware of your nefarious plan to rig the Top Cow Talent Hunt in your favor by offering extraordinarily helpful advice to other fellow writers.

In all serious, a heartfelt congratulations. I won't even try to deny the scoring envy I feel towards those who won, but I'm definitely glad that one of them was you.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pauul View Post
    Thank you, Ryan.

Ok my Miami/ Cuban is coming out of me..."Bro look at this guy, he's like a fucking saint how graceful Ave Maria Purisima!"
    Seriously though, Congratulations! I'm really happy for you man! I expect great things from you. The thing about comics and writers is doesn't it feel like the same 10 people write all the books? Maybe nobody wants to write comics, there's no money in it. And there are a lot of comics out there, just not a lot of good ones. Yet, The level of talent I've seen on this thread just speaks of how many awesome artists and writers are out there scratching at the door like hungry wolves waiting for a chance to get in and just tear shit up. It's so hard, so congratulations again, do us proud.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by omorales81 View Post
    Congrats Pauul, and all the other winners - well done!

And in terms of this from Top Cow Ryan: "I hope to see a whole lot more from all of you, winners or runners up or Secret Top 10s and Top 40s That Only Matt and I Know About." All I can say is this

OH-OH-OH LORD, I WANT TO BE IN THAT NUMBER, WHEN THE SAINTS GO MARCHIN' IN!

Amen Brother! If you can will it you can make it so. I will never know, but I have to believe I was somewhere in there (Like the demon in Mechanthon's script) it adds fuel to the fire and motivation. The Rocky Theme is playing in the background, I'm drinking raw eggs and rolling my sleeves up at the drawing board. One of the forty, One of the 10, One of the four. I'm there!

Hey guys! Congratulations to all of the winners! I would have posted much earlier, but my computer has been on the fritz and I have been absurdly busy. I'm looking forward to next year, especially having a heads up on the material. I will post my script on here soon, I just don't have time right now.
    Here's to hoping this thread stays alive. I've thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Rock on and good luck on the next Talent Hunt!

All-New Member

First time poster. I'm glad that Pauul was able to reply finally because truth be told, I was starting to get a little bummed out by the thought of jealousy or cynicism starting to seep into this board. Regardless of his help to people who asked questions, maybe he's also just a good writer in addition to being nice, which is the main reason he placed in the top? And even if it were true that his willingness to help people helped him in the final estimation (which I'm 100% convinced is not the reason) I was actually GLAD to think Pauul may have won a spot in part because he took his own time to lay out continuity for others who were asking rather than keep it to himself. Isn't that the kind of people who we WANT to do well?

This is one of the few times on the internet I've seen people be cordial to each other when in competition with one another, and I hope that "losing" for the rest of us doesn't sour that. I don't post, but I read what others write here, and I'm appreciative of the time everyone takes to help one another (as I'm sure a lot of people who don't post are).

I've entered 3 times, lost 3 times. I've entered other writing contests; won some, lost more. I hope everyone respects and really appreciates the unique opportunity we have. I think someone mentioned before they were a screenwriting major (as am I). I can promise you that there is an entire cottage industry of people who are willing to promise you the moon as long as you pay an outrageous fee to them. And for that fee you might get someone with no major connection to the industry reading your script, and even the "winners" have their IP rights to the script forfeited. This contest is FREE, which is crazy, and you get two guaranteed comics professionals reading your stuff, one of whom is the COO! And they do it while they work on their projects AND try to enjoy their own personal lives. It's honestly shocking there isn't submissions in the thousands, trust me.

The lack of feedback does suck. If there's anything that might make me not enter on a particular year, it might be that along with schedule. But you know that going in and no other comic companies are going to take the time to tell you why it just didn't fit their taste, if it needs polish, etc. Professional coverage for screenwriting is not cheap, and it may not even help you as much as you think.

So just believe in yourself, your style and keep writing. As someone lucky enough to work in a relative related field, trust me, this contest is awesome because of Top Cow and the people on this forum who help out their fellow entrants. And I can promise that even if you won, that's just a crack in the door. You always gotta hustle to keep it going.

So congrats to Amit, Charles, Camilla, Paul, Kelly, Eli, D.P, Jim, and Francesca. And of course to all the peeps at Top Cow.

And if anyone wants to collaborate with a writer (doesn't have to be exclusively comics) hit me up. There's honestly so much great work that has been posted here, all we have to do is keep grinding. Plus, what else are you going to do? Writers write, artists draw.

Okay, here is my script. Towards the end it may be obvious that one of the things that weakens it is a lack of familiarity with the source material (a problem that I do not intend to have for the next Talent Hunt). I found out about the competition at the end of February, so I read everything I could find that was free on the internet, read all the wiki stuff, and borrowed my buddy's Witchblade compendium (first fifty issues). After researching as much as I could in the small window of time I had, I realized I didn't have time to do anymore research and had to jump on getting a script written. So, this is my version of a story about a minor character. I hope you like it and I look forward to reading your scripts soon!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7...VzA&authuser=0

All-New Member

Congratulations to all the winners judging on artist winners and the other artists from this forum the quality of the entries this year is phenomenal. Thanks to Top Cow again for all the work they put in each year to this contest you guys are legends. Roll on the next one.

Here's my script submission for you guys to review, any feedback would be greatly appreciated! It's a Witchblade story set in the future with a new bearer, tried to play a new angle on the idea of who can weld the Witchblade. Let me know what you think.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...BB495EE3%21234
    Last edited by Killscreen; 05-27-2015 at 02:33 PM.

Spectacular Member

First time poster. I'm glad that Pauul was able to reply finally because truth be told, I was starting to get a little bummed out by the thought of jealousy or cynicism starting to seep into this board. Regardless of his help to people who asked questions, maybe he's also just a good writer in addition to being nice, which is the main reason he placed in the top? And even if it were true that his willingness to help people helped him in the final estimation (which I'm 100% convinced is not the reason) I was actually GLAD to think Pauul may have won a spot in part because he took his own time to lay out continuity for others who were asking rather than keep it to himself. Isn't that the kind of people who we WANT to do well?

This is one of the few times on the internet I've seen people be cordial to each other when in competition with one another, and I hope that "losing" for the rest of us doesn't sour that. I don't post, but I read what others write here, and I'm appreciative of the time everyone takes to help one another (as I'm sure a lot of people who don't post are).

I've entered 3 times, lost 3 times. I've entered other writing contests; won some, lost more. I hope everyone respects and really appreciates the unique opportunity we have. I think someone mentioned before they were a screenwriting major (as am I). I can promise you that there is an entire cottage industry of people who are willing to promise you the moon as long as you pay an outrageous fee to them. And for that fee you might get someone with no major connection to the industry reading your script, and even the "winners" have their IP rights to the script forfeited. This contest is FREE, which is crazy, and you get two guaranteed comics professionals reading your stuff, one of whom is the COO! And they do it while they work on their projects AND try to enjoy their own personal lives. It's honestly shocking there isn't submissions in the thousands, trust me.

The lack of feedback does suck. If there's anything that might make me not enter on a particular year, it might be that along with schedule. But you know that going in and no other comic companies are going to take the time to tell you why it just didn't fit their taste, if it needs polish, etc. Professional coverage for screenwriting is not cheap, and it may not even help you as much as you think.

So just believe in yourself, your style and keep writing. As someone lucky enough to work in a relative related field, trust me, this contest is awesome because of Top Cow and the people on this forum who help out their fellow entrants. And I can promise that even if you won, that's just a crack in the door. You always gotta hustle to keep it going.

So congrats to Amit, Charles, Camilla, Paul, Kelly, Eli, D.P, Jim, and Francesca. And of course to all the peeps at Top Cow.

And if anyone wants to collaborate with a writer (doesn't have to be exclusively comics) hit me up. There's honestly so much great work that has been posted here, all we have to do is keep grinding. Plus, what else are you going to do? Writers write, artists draw.
    Thanks for the kind words.

As for the person who studied Screenwriting, that would be me.

I have a Masters degree in Screenwriting from Screen Academy Scotland. My undergraduate degree is in Screenwriting too.

As a qualification, it's pretty useless. But everything I learned while studying, has helped me a lot.

You don't only learn about writing. You take a look at the business side of the industry as well, which you need to have a keen understanding of if you are going to succeed.

That, and it developed my researching skills. Which was really useful for learning more about Top Cow continuity.

All-New Member

Hi everybody. Long time lurker here. My quick story - I haven't drawn since I was a kid, when my dream job, like so many here, was to grow up and draw comic books. For whatever reasons (which I still can't really figure out), I never really pursued it. Flash forward 25 or so >cough< >cough< years, to my coming upon this contest. I figured hey, why not. Well, I didn't finish by the deadline, but I entered anyway. I knew that I couldn't win because the pages were incomplete (besides whatever other reasons of course), but I felt like not entering after putting so much work in to it was just too much like quitting. Suffice to say I didn't win. But I'm glad I entered. It got me back in to the drawing groove, which is great. If these pages were done, they would have represented the first eight pages I ever really drew (as a kid I drew stand-alone drawings mostly, and maybe finished 3 or 4 consecutive pages only really once or twice).

Figured I'd post my entry, just for the heck of it.

I'd like to thank Top Cow for sponsoring this contest, it's a really great thing to do for struggling artists and writers.

Bigger version here:
    http://grimlockbedi.deviantart.com/a...ages-535861589

8-pages.jpg
    Last edited by Tcth; 05-27-2015 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Added link to bigger version

Writer/Cartoonist Daniel Brian Mobley's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grimlockbedi View Post
    Hi everybody. Long time lurker here. My quick story - I haven't drawn since I was a kid, when my dream job, like so many here, was to grow up and draw comic books. For whatever reasons (which I still can't really figure out), I never really pursued it. Flash forward 25 or so >cough< >cough< years, to my coming upon this contest. I figured hey, why not. Well, I didn't finish by the deadline, but I entered anyway. I knew that I couldn't win because the pages were incomplete (besides whatever other reasons of course), but I felt like not entering after putting so much work in to it was just too much like quitting. Suffice to say I didn't win. But I'm glad I entered. It got me back in to the drawing groove, which is great. If these pages were done, they would have represented the first eight pages I ever really drew (as a kid I drew stand-alone drawings mostly, and maybe finished 3 or 4 consecutive pages only really once or twice).

Figured I'd post my entry, just for the heck of it.

I'd like to thank Top Cow for sponsoring this contest, it's a really great thing to do for struggling artists and writers.

Bigger version here:
    http://grimlockbedi.deviantart.com/a...ages-535861589

8-pages.jpg

VERY NICE work! That's a big deal that you entered past the deadline--says a lot about your integrity and passion for the medium. Keep up the EXCELLENT work--looking forward to seeing more! I entered the hunt as a writer--my entry is here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byn...S1E/view?pli=1
    Last edited by Daniel Brian Mobley; 05-29-2015 at 12:04 PM.