Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Cool Anyone watching Arcane, the League of Legends series on Netflix?

First 3 episodes are out and it's really good

https://www.netflix.com/title/81435684
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Extraordinary Member

The art style is fantastic, the voice acting top-notch (J. B. Blanc as Vander especially), and that last episode is heavy.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Ultimate Member

Never played the games, but enjoying it thus far

Extraordinary Member

I’m calling it; Vander’s not dead in the last episode. Singed is going to emerge from the explosion and end up experimenting on him, either with Sinco’s knowledge or without it…

…And Powder will discover it, free him, and then suffer her psychotic break into Jinx, so she won’t remember freeing him after he’s been mutated into a giant wolf-cyborg - Warwick.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Astonishing Member

It's really good so far. Finished episode 2. I haven't played League in awhile hope my old buddy Vlad gets a cameo.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    It's really good so far. Finished episode 2. I haven't played League in awhile hope my old buddy Vlad gets a cameo.
    This particular “season” (as I have no idea if it’s a one-off or a continuing thing) is set in Piltover and Zaun, so Vlad seems unlikely to appear in *this* story…

…But of this is in fact meant to be a kind of continuing lore series for the universe, than the conflict between Noxus (Vlad’s hometown) and Demacia would be on the table, or even just a Noxus-centered story focusing on the politics of that city.

Similarly, a Freyljord-centered story had plenty of potential with the factions there, as does Bilgewater, and even Bundle City.

*If* the show is a hit, and it proves a worthwhile investment for Riot, they might just expand it to be the story their game is “based off of.”

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    This particular “season” (as I have no idea if it’s a one-off or a continuing thing) is set in Piltover and Zaun, so Vlad seems unlikely to appear in *this* story…

…But of this is in fact meant to be a kind of continuing lore series for the universe, than the conflict between Noxus (Vlad’s hometown) and Demacia would be on the table, or even just a Noxus-centered story focusing on the politics of that city.

Similarly, a Freyljord-centered story had plenty of potential with the factions there, as does Bilgewater, and even Bundle City.

*If* the show is a hit, and it proves a worthwhile investment for Riot, they might just expand it to be the story their game is “based off of.”
    It's a good thing that it's doing well so far. I think arcane being a hit will not only benefit Riot but also future adult western animations. The world-building is great, it makes me like Plit/Zaun more (though most of my favorite champions lore-wise are from there...).

I'm surprised that the political intrigued isn't shallow.

Ultimate Member

How's come Netflix isn;t dumping it all at once like they usually do?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    How's come Netflix isn;t dumping it all at once like they usually do?
    I’m thinking that the industry is examining different models of uploading to see if there’s any advantages to be gained with different schedules; D+ uses a once weekly release like a TV channel to ensure people keep re-upping their subscription, and possibly to ascertain how “hot” the show is on a week-to-week basis by seeing how many people watch it “on schedule.”

Netflix may be doing the same thing.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I’m thinking that the industry is examining different models of uploading to see if there’s any advantages to be gained with different schedules; D+ uses a once weekly release like a TV channel to ensure people keep re-upping their subscription, and possibly to ascertain how “hot” the show is on a week-to-week basis by seeing how many people watch it “on schedule.”

Netflix may be doing the same thing.
    Netflix is doing their weekly format differently from the competition. The roadmap for this show is they drop episodes of each arc every Saturday. I'm down with that model.

As for the show, I enjoyed these episodes and I never played the games. Jinx is the only character I'm familiar with when it comes to League.

Incredible Member

This was a lot better than I was expecting it to be, the quality of animation was what got me interested in giving it a look. The story though not terribly original is still entertaining enough, and it was sufficiently engaging to get me to binge watch the first three episodes. You don’t need to know the game it’s based on to watch it, I certainly don’t know a massive about League of Legends just like a number of the character designs, so I am sure I missed out on a lot of subtleties and Easter eggs. The animation is very good for a TV animation, in fact I would almost go as far as to say outstanding and definitely has had money spent on it. The voice work is good enough with a few familiar voices in the mix. By the way the animation is done by a French not American company and I take my hat off to them.

Never played the game, but thought the funko pops I always saw at game stores looked pretty cool.

Knowing absolutely nothing about this franchise.....I'm enjoying the show. Two episodes in right now, and it has a certain Final Fantasy-esque, steampunk aesthetic to it that I like, and the production value is really top notch; fantastic animation and quality voice acting. Interesting story, with solid (if slightly slow) pacing.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

This show keeps getting better and better

Ultimate Member

How many episodes total, anyways?

I'm continually impressed by how real the fights in this show feel despite being completely animated (unless there was mocap). They're ugly and brutal and have a weight to them that would have been easy to just... not do in a completely digital realm. Its a great element in among so much other greatness. spoilers:
    Vi VS Sevika
    end of spoilers this week is probably the standout so far.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    How many episodes total, anyways?
    Nine for season 1. Final 3 next week.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)