Page 60 of 85 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Or we'd get Mary Jane going to join Peter in the shower, also conveniently covered by the steam.
    I mean, I'm kind of getting the implication from the cutaway that maybe she did.

Quote Originally Posted by Yvonmukluk View Post
    I mean, I'm kind of getting the implication from the cutaway that maybe she did.
    Again, they weren't dating at the time, and it's possible Peter was going out with Felicia, if not he still had an on and off thing with her, if MJ tried to get in the shower, Peter would kick her out.

Since Peter is saying that he needs cheering up, it sounds like she did that just to make him less tense by messing with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Again, they weren't dating at the time, and it's possible Peter was going out with Felicia, if not he still had an on and off thing with her, if MJ tried to get in the shower, Peter would kick her out.

Since Peter is saying that he needs cheering up, it sounds like she did that just to make him less tense by messing with him.
    I mean, Peter was also very heavily implied to have gotten together with Betty Brant-Leeds at a time she was still married for a while, so I mean it's not impossible.

BANNED

One of the things that really annoyed me when the entire OMD stuff was trotted out is that people paraded Marv Wolfman saying that "People changed MJ's character when she married" and they specifically talked of MJ's weepy backstory or whatever, while neglecting the fact that it was Wolfman and later Stern (who said similar words to similar effect) who created that backstory.

They were the ones who changed Mary Jane into the character she became when she got married and yet they complain that other writers did it and fans parrot their opinions without bothering to check their views or ask them about the stuff they did?

Marv Wolfman wrote MJ out of the books in ASM #193. Well exactly 100 issues later (ASM #290-292), she said yes to Peter and they got married. That's the "arc of history bending to justice" right there.

Or we'd get Mary Jane going to join Peter in the shower, also conveniently covered by the steam.
    Like Lois joining Clark in the shower. It's like these two comic couples are the same!

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    One of the things that really annoyed me when the entire OMD stuff was trotted out is that people paraded Marv Wolfman saying that "People changed MJ's character when she married" and they specifically talked of MJ's weepy backstory or whatever, while neglecting the fact that it was Wolfman and later Stern (who said similar words to similar effect) who created that backstory.

They were the ones who changed Mary Jane into the character she became when she got married and yet they complain that other writers did it and fans parrot their opinions without bothering to check their views or ask them about the stuff they did?

Marv Wolfman wrote MJ out of the books in ASM #193. Well exactly 100 issues later (ASM #290-292), she said yes to Peter and they got married. That's the "arc of history bending to justice" right there.
    Wolfman created Terry Long, and paired him up with Donna Troy.

I don't really care what Wolfman thinks of romances in comics.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Wolfman created Terry Long, and paired him up with Donna Troy.

I don't really care what Wolfman thinks of romances in comics.
    I honestly don't care what most comic book writers and editors think of romance in comic books. Historically their collective views on the subject have been toxic and typically sexist (especially when a female love interest is involved which accounts for 90% of pairings) in so far as women are used only to motivate the hero by way of being put in constant peril or even callously killed. I still cringe when I recall the whole "Batwoman can never get married or engaged to her long-term girlfriend" controversy.
    Last edited by Celgress; 09-29-2019 at 05:22 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I honestly don't care what most comic book writers and editors think of romance in comic books. Historically their collective views on the subject have been toxic and typically sexist (especially when a female love interest is involved which accounts for 90% of pairings). I still cringe when I recall the "Batwoman can never get married or engaged to her long-term girlfriend" controversy.
    Yeah, that was nine different levels of messed up, and the justification over there . . . "superheroes just shouldn't be allowed to be happy, period, or they lose their drive to be superheroes." I looked at that, and it just disturbed and sickened me. It spoke to me of something being utterly broken about how that person perceived superheroes.

And to your other point --- hopefully not starting a kerfuffle, though --- why do you think comics have historically been a tough sell for female readers and fans despite the dazzling array of dynamic and incredible female characters in both major companies?
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Yeah, that was nine different levels of messed up, and the justification over there . . . "superheroes just shouldn't be allowed to be happy, period, or they lose their drive to be superheroes." I looked at that, and it just disturbed and sickened me. It spoke to me of something being utterly broken about how that person perceived superheroes.

And to your other point --- hopefully not starting a kerfuffle, though --- why do you think comics have historically been a tough sell for female readers and fans despite the dazzling array of dynamic and incredible female characters in both major companies?
    I'm going to be brutally honest here, IMO, it is because they haven't treated their female characters with respect. Of course, I mean historically not contemporaneously. Take the original (or at least most famous) Supergirl her major claim to fame is the iconic story in which Superman holds her dead body while weeping. Supergirl has no agency in the story her role is simply to be the tragic victim, much like Gwen Stacy.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I'm going to be brutally honest here, IMO, it is because they haven't treated their female characters with respect. Of course, I mean historically not contemporaneously. Take the original (or at least most famous) Supergirl her major claim to fame is the iconic story in which Superman holds her dead body while weeping. Supergirl has no agency in the story her role is simply to be the tragic victim, much like Gwen Stacy.
    I was being rhetorical, though that's an accurate answer, and in that same vein . . . Avengers #200. They could've done anything to commemorate 200 straight issues of Avengers, and they went and did . . . that.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Found colored artwork from Amazing Mary Jane #1. Looking fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    Found colored artwork from Amazing Mary Jane #1. Looking fantastic!

Absolutely stunning .

One thing I can appreciate about MJ being in this movie...skintight spandex .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Absolutely stunning .

One thing I can appreciate about MJ being in this movie...skintight spandex .
    Once Peter learns about this suit, I can totaly see him asking MJ to keep it .

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Once Peter learns about this suit, I can totaly see him asking MJ to keep it .
    Alongside Red Sonja's chainmail bikini, of course.