Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Flash Gordon (1980) is Queen Elizabeth's favorite movie

I normally could care less what the Royal Family does. I've never understood the fascination with that family, but when I read this, I thought it was cool. Though I'd share. I love that movie too.

https://people.com/royals/queen-eliz...just-revealed/

Queen Elizabeth is a well-known stickler for royal Christmas traditions — church, backyard soccer, turkey with all the trimmings...and cult 1980 sci-fi movie Flash Gordon!

British actor Brian Blessed, 83, (who played Prince Vultan in the film), recently told Yahoo Movies that the British monarch, 94, watches the movie "with her grandchildren every Christmas." He added, "It's her favorite film."

Better still, the larger-than-life actor claims to have received his inside royal knowledge from none other than the Queen herself when she told him at an event, "You know, we watch Flash Gordon all the time, me and the grandchildren."
    Last edited by caj; 08-12-2020 at 06:53 AM.

I admit it's fun, but it is a terrible movie.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Retired

I saw that movie in Cork, Ireland, in 1981 about a month before the wedding of Charles and Diana. I had been riding my bike through Ireland and come to Cork, to have a rest, so I went to this theatre which was packed with ten year old boys. They had the filthiest mouths of anyone I've ever heard. There was a Swedish travelogue before the main feature, with beautiful blondes in swimsuits, and these little ankle biters were shouting the ugliest things at the screen. It continued like that throughout FLASH GORDON--these little devils yelling oaths that would make a sailor blush (and I was a sailor, so I should know).

I see that her taste in movies match her tastes in fashion.

Go figure.

Extraordinary Member

As a kid, I had watched the Filmation cartoon on Saturday morning and had become fascinated with Flash Gordon and all the supporting characters.

So seeing a live-action film about it was about as exciting as it could get for a young fanboy.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    I see that her taste in movies match her tastes in fashion.

Go figure.
    How fashionable do you expect a 94 year old to be?

That's amazing!

That movie is so bad it goes around the bend into good.

And the QUEEN SOUNDTRACK IS AMAZEBALLS!
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Yeah, that movie managed to be entertaining by embracing its own cheesiness and leaning into it. It's when movies like this try to take themselves too seriously that they become MST3K fodder.

Italian crew who think they’re creating serious art + British cast who think they’re creating camp nonsense + out-of-control production design. *Chef’s kiss*

Retired

I would have never expected Liz to like a movie with a Queen soundtrack. Given it's "Queen," I would have figured she'd be put off by the irreverent use of her title. But I guess Regina has a sense of humour about that.

Peter Quill was right, being called Flash Gordon was a compliment!
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Extraordinary Member

Interestingly, I just read where today is Sam J. Jones' (Flash Gordon)birthday. He is 66 today.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I would have never expected Liz to like a movie with a Queen soundtrack. Given it's "Queen," I would have figured she'd be put off by the irreverent use of her title. But I guess Regina has a sense of humour about that.
    She loves Elton and Bowie. Didn't she often say Freddie was an amazing gift to England and wishes he was still alive? I'm pretty sure she is a Queen fan. I know she never knighted him/them but she personally presented Freddie with his MBE/OBE.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    That's amazing!

That movie is so bad it goes around the bend into good.

And the QUEEN SOUNDTRACK IS AMAZEBALLS!
    LOL. Yeah, the theme song is about the only good thing. Sadly, there was another script for a movie but it was scrapped when this one was made and was used as a Saturday morning cartoon which is too bad because it was a vastly better story. Heck, the original was better if only in it's innocent purity.

Little footnote: Kurt Russell was offered the role and turned it down because, as he put it, there was almost no character development and what little there was had nothing to do with Flash Gordon himself.
    Power with Girl is better.

How anyone can NOT like this movie is beyond me.