Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    Is Melissa McCarthy considered a big box office star now?
    I started laughing as I was about to ask the same thing. Does Melissa McCarthy really have people lining up to see her flicks? "The Boss" will be dead in a week. Nobody gives a rats behind about Melissa McCarthy.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by tkitna View Post
    I started laughing as I was about to ask the same thing. Does Melissa McCarthy really have people lining up to see her flicks? "The Boss" will be dead in a week. Nobody gives a rats behind about Melissa McCarthy.
    Except maybe... Women?

Extraordinary Member

Uh yeah McCarthy's last 3 movies average 117 million that makes her a big box-office star. And this movie is at about 800 mil in 3 weeks and ppl really think it has no chance at reaching a billion...smh.

Melissa McCarthy is this generation's female Chris Farley/Adam Sandler. So yeah, for comedy movies right now, she's a big draw.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tighelander View Post
    It looks like Yawn of Justice will only be in the theaters for about 12 weeks. Very popular movies stay around for about 22 weeks.
    How many movies have played in theaters for 5 months? Star Wars made 2 billion and is practically out of theaters after less than 4, so a regular movie or even a smaller blockbuster would be around 3.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Uh yeah McCarthy's last 3 movies average 117 million that makes her a big box-office star. And this movie is at about 800 mil in 3 weeks and ppl really think it has no chance at reaching a billion...smh.
    How do you see it making it to a billion worldwide?

it does have no chance of reaching a billion

its already opened everywhere. And it doesn't seem to have legs
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by robreedwrites View Post
    How do you see it making it to a billion worldwide?
    i don't see it making a billion, and certainly not breaking avengers 1.5. but not even the follow-up to avengers could be avengers, and 1bil + is so unrealistic for the majority cbms.

but regardless, it's performance in 3 weeks is darn impressive no matter which way you slice it.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    i don't see it making a billion, and certainly not breaking avengers 1.5. but not even the follow-up to avengers could be avengers, and 1bil + is so unrealistic for the majority cbms.

but regardless, it's performance in 3 weeks is darn impressive no matter which way you slice it.
    It's impressive unless you expected this movie to do more due to the fact that Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman are in the same (live action) movie for the first time. WB may very well be satisfied or happy with that number, but it definitely feels as if everyone realizes there was money left on the table.

I'm genuinely curious as to the other poster's headshaking at the idea that this film can't make it to $1bilWW. I really want to know the scenario that he or she thinks is possible. The film is, as of 04/10/16, sitting at $784.3m. With ~$215.7m to go and no major markets left, where does it get that money? Let’s assume that it has only a 40% drop (60% hold) for its fourth domestic weekend, which would be a better 4th weekend hold than those for Avengers: Age of Ultron, Iron Man 3, and the Dark Knight Rises (BvS has currently dropped more than all three of these films on previous weekends). That would be $14,017,847. So now we only need $201.7m to go. Assuming a similar drop in the foreign market, a gross of ~$20,640,000, BvS would now need $181m to go. Even if we assume that it makes $30mWW from Monday-Thursday of this week (which would be impressive considering it only made $12m domestically last M-Thurs), that’s still $151m it needs to find.
    Last edited by robreedwrites; 04-12-2016 at 06:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by robreedwrites View Post
    It's impressive unless you expected this movie to do more due to the fact that Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman are in the same (live action) movie for the first time.
    yes, we know. perhaps it isn't the film that has the problem, but some parts of the comic book corner of the audience with their incredibly unrealistic expectations. money was certainly left on the table. i hope they can make it back in other ways!

Quote Originally Posted by kmeyers View Post
    Melissa McCarthy is this generation's female Chris Farley/Adam Sandler. So yeah, for comedy movies right now, she's a big draw.
    I want to like McCarthy but she plays the same roles over and over.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Ultimate Member

Exactly.

Melissa McCarthy is a VERY big star.

I'm surprised that people don't know this.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    it does have no chance of reaching a billion

its already opened everywhere. And it doesn't seem to have legs
    That's the thing, the movie has opened everywhere and has already made the majority of its money.

This week, The Jungle Book is opening and will probably take most of BvS' screens away.

BvS will finish between $850-$900m which is pretty darn impressive but it wasn't the juggernaut that many people (including forum members) thought it would be.

Astonishing Member

It would be impressive if the budget and marketing were much lower. Since the costs are so high box office expectations has to be high as well.

BANNED

Who is Mark Hughes? Is he with Warner or just tweeting about it? Is he in a position to actually KNOW if this is a true statement?