Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ying Ko View Post
    In to a recent interview Geoff Johns is asked what characters he would like to write that he hasn't had the chance to so far. He says:

Now, as far as I know he doesn't have any DC work announced post Three Jokers which is coming out later this year, and even that is only a 3 issue mini series. DC can keep Bendis but give us Johns in return is what I say.
    Johns on Hulk is something I’d push past my sainted grandma in her stroller in order to get to the front of the line for.

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    Mark Waid specifically did not want to write the Hulk, before getting to write Indestructible Hulk he did an interview where he was asked which Marvel character he wants to write the least and he said Hulk, he basically wrote Hulk as a favor to the editor not because he wanted to, when you force a writer to do that when they clearly dislike or don't have any motivation to write the character you are gonna have a bad run no matter what. Loeb didn't even write Hulk apart from a few one-shot's, he wrote Rulk.
    This explains so much about his run.

BANNED

Oh and i can't believe i forgot if anyone wants to tell me Jeph Loeb didn't write good Hulk stories, read his Hulk: Gray 6 issue mini-series, it's literally one of the best Hulk stories out there.

On one hand, I know Al Ewing is doing a great job with the Hulk. But on the other hand, I would love it if Geoff Johns started working for Marvel again.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    On one hand, I know Al Ewing is doing a great job with the Hulk. But on the other hand, I would love it if Geoff Johns started working for Marvel again.
    Al Ewing has done a phenomenal job with the Hulk. I to would love to see Johns back at Marvel but not writing the Hulk until Ewing is done. His JSA was awesome. DC can keep Bendis. Johns being at Marvel would put great distance between the two companies IMO.

I read somewhere Ewing’s (pretty well received) run will end soon, so it would be a great time for a hand off like this.
    A lot of times you get a drop in quality after a run like this, and the book goes on life support.
    That wouldn’t happen w. Johns I don’t think.

Johns has already told all his best stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    I read somewhere Ewing’s (pretty well received) run will end soon, so it would be a great time for a hand off like this.
    A lot of times you get a drop in quality after a run like this, and the book goes on life support.
    That wouldn’t happen w. Johns I don’t think.
    Not for at least another year. I think he only said it's past the half way point.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    Al Ewing has done a phenomenal job with the Hulk. I to would love to see Johns back at Marvel but not writing the Hulk until Ewing is done. His JSA was awesome. DC can keep Bendis. Johns being at Marvel would put great distance between the two companies IMO.
    Yeah, I agree. Al Ewing should be allowed to finish his run. In that time, Johns should try and iron out his run so that after Ewing has finished (but maybe with a bit of a break to allow Ewing's run to settle) he can take the reins of the Hulk with a strong direction. Ewing's run is going to be tough to follow but if anyone can do it, I think Johns can.
    Last edited by KC; 05-10-2020 at 01:27 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    Al Ewing has done a phenomenal job with the Hulk. I to would love to see Johns back at Marvel but not writing the Hulk until Ewing is done.
    I have to agree. Immortal Hulk is one of the best and most consistent books Marvel is putting out currently (along with Zdarsky's Daredevil and Hickman's X-Men), I too want to see it reach it's conclusion before anyone else takes over from Ewing.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I strongly disagree.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Not for at least another year. I think he only said it's past the half way point.
    Yea Joe Bennett has said on facebook some time ago that it will have around 50 issues, we are at issue 33, so like a year to a year and a half to go i presume.

Also i don't think Johns is gonna take over IH from Ewing, the book hasn't been this strong in over a decade, it's Marvels flagship title given all it's success and critical praise. Ewing even said editors gave him full and free reign over the character, everyone would lose their minds if that was all taken away before Al got to tell his story to it's end.
    Last edited by Intothevoid; 05-10-2020 at 01:56 PM.

I remember talking with Geoff on FCBD 2009 (at the now-defunct Atomic Comics) and man, he LOVES the Hulk. I remember discussing with him in some depth and his enthusiasm was just infectious.

What I remember most vividly--because it was so out of the ordinary--was that his fondness is centered around the Hulk's grey-skinned incarnation: smart, crafty, emerges by night. So the thought of him taking over when current scribe Al Ewing finishes his magnum opus on ol' Greenskin isn't as farfetched as you'd think when you consider that little nugget.

It's just a shame that as long as he's got an office job at DC (i.e. Mad Ghost Productions and their DC associations), it'll never happen.

~G.
    Last edited by HulkSmash!; 05-10-2020 at 04:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    We’ll see. I think he has plenty left in the tank. I have to totally disagree with you.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HulkSmash! View Post
    It's just a shame that as long as he's got an office job at DC (i.e. Mad Ghost Productions and their DC associations), it'll never happen.
    Yeah but isn't the production work done directly for Warner Bros. rather than DC? I'm sure contracts could be drawn up releasing him to work for other publishers on the side, if he really wanted to do it.

I don't know... Just seems like the next logical step for him. We'll see what happens down the line, I guess.
    Last edited by Ying Ko; 05-10-2020 at 05:22 PM.