Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    So, in conversation about female empowerment through representation in fiction, your response is "Yeah but what about men? You aren't caring enough about men,"

Whataboutism abounds.
    You brought up men in this. If you don't like the answer you shouldn't have mentioned it to begin with, and you definitely don't accuse me of bringing them up when it was you.

For clarity, I've never said that men don't need better role models to empower them, my exact statement was that men don't need empowerment /in the same way/ as women and minority groups. They still need it but there it becomes an issue of the types of role models that you're creating because men need more role models that challenge toxic masculinity and allow them to access their full emotional range.
    Which isn't happening.

For women and minorities it is more a question of gaining visibility and agency in the media space because they historically haven't had that.
    Except they have, especially recently. An argument to explain why minorities don't get as much visibility as you claim would include their small number. In your country specifically they take up just over 10%. And that is all the minorities combined. The amount of visibility in media reflects the number of said people in the respective society. Hollywood is a perfect example, having virtually the exact same percentage of Asian and black actors as their is black and Asians in the total of America.

So, to go back to your original point. Jones can be mean and still be empowering.
    Repeating something that has already been proven otherwise doesn't really make your argument a sound one. I've explained how she wasn't, and it went beyond her just being a bitch. You not addressing them doesn't make them go away, and it absolutely does not make her an empowering figure. Especially when you take away her super powers, in which case she becomes less than nothing.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    https://reborngn.com/?page=register&ref=408192
    ^-my referral

Dial it back.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    Dial it back.
    Dial what back? Nothing I've said has been even remotely hostile Guy.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    ^-my referral

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    Dial what back? Nothing I've said has been even remotely hostile Guy.
    It just seems like things are getting a bit harsh, so I'm nipping that in the bud. Please dial it back.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

It just seems like things are getting a bit harsh, so I'm nipping that in the bud. Please dial it back.
    Uh no, I won't, because there is nothing to dial back as there is no harshness, so there! .
    Saint Seiya Online:
    ^-my referral

Uh no, I won't, because there is nothing to dial back as there is no harshness, so there! .
    Dude, your posts were getting confrontational. You're free to debate it, just dial it back a bit.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

Dude, your posts were getting confrontational. You're free to debate it, just dial it back a bit.
    But they aren't? If you could point out just how they seem to be "confrontational", then I'll be happy to clarify as I am certain you are misinterpreting what I typed, as I was trying not to be confrontational in anyway.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    ^-my referral

I believe this precise subject matter was nixed just a few months ago, between the same participants. As much as I enjoy the political and philosophical discussion at play here, the suitability of the subject matter to this thread has already been ruled upon. I'd suggest taking this to the general political thread.
    Last edited by Lord Falcon; 03-11-2018 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Falcon View Post
    I believe this precise subject matter was nixed just a few months ago or so, between the same participants. As much as I enjoy the political and philosophical discussion at play here, the suitability of the subject matter to this thread has already been ruled upon. I'd suggest taking this to the general political thread.
    I especially like them when their civil like this has been. But yeah, you're right. If you want Nikster, we can continue this via private messaging.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    ^-my referral

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    Love how this channel eloquently riffs on the difference between working on and finishing a story.

I love this guy's channel.

Sure, most of it is pretty obvious to any writer worth their salt, but he presents it in such a way that it is an entertaining watch.

I even purchased his book.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

I especially like them when their civil like this has been. But yeah, you're right. If you want Nikster, we can continue this via private messaging.
    I mean, if you want to take this to PM then I'm happy to continue exploring this if you want.

Can't say I'm a fan of your opinions on how representation in media functions nor your devotion to the idea that Jones cannot be empowering anyone but I am always to discuss things.

BANNED

A new terrible writing advice.

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bruceleegreyhulk View Post
    well I just saw a Wrinkle in Time. if I had to sum the movie up in one word it would be convoluted.
    That's how I remember the books being, so hey! True to that I guess!
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    I really like this series. You can tell there is some real Digimon love behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    been watching "yu-gi-oh VRAINS".

this might be the blandest gen of the series ever. not bad. just.........blah.
    It really is. Apparently, there is some behind the scenes trouble as well since it changed directors pretty early on, IIRC. Plus, a stupid amount of recap episodes.

And very meh summon chants. Which is a crime for a card game anime. Link Summoning has to be the lamest summoning method visually and audibly.

Which is a damn shame since the concept is Yugioh with Cyber Batman as the MC.
    Hazard's Playhouse - Episodic anime reviews and other things. Current Post: Houshin Engi: What was Skipped
    My Fanfiction.Net Profile