Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    Since earth doesn't observe any Kryptonian religious holidays, maybe Superman uses Dec 25 as an occasion to celebrate both Christmas and the birth of Rao, or some such.
    Superman isn’t religious to any Kryptonian deities.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Superman isn’t religious to any Kryptonian deities.
    The Earth-2 Superman married the Earth-2 Lois Lane in a Kryptonian-style religious ceremony, didn't he? (They had already married "officially" as Clark and Lois, so there was no need for Kal-L and Lois to go through a Kryptonian wedding unless Supes did in fact want to observe the tradition of his ancestors.)

Last edited by seismic-2; 11-06-2020 at 07:44 PM.

Retired

The Earth-2 Superman married the Earth-2 Lois Lane in a Kryptonian-style religious ceremony, didn't he? (They had already married "officially" as Clark and Lois, so there was no need for Kal-L and Lois to go through a Kryptonian wedding unless Supes did in fact want to observe the tradition of his ancestors.)

But as stated in that very story, Superman had not long before discovered he was from Krypton. In this version of Superman, that was supposed to be the case. So he converted to the Rao religion pretty quickly. Lending truth to the old maxim about the "zeal of the convert."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    But as stated in that very story, Superman had not long before discovered he was from Krypton. In this version of Superman, that was supposed to be the case. So he converted to the Rao religion pretty quickly. Lending truth to the old maxim about the "zeal of the convert."
    Indeed! He really over-compensated, trying to act Kryptonian. I always enjoyed it when Kara teased him about his accent when he spoke in their native language, which of course he had to pick up second-hand.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    As far as I have travelled,many Asian countries or regions don't have Christmas holidays.But,Christmas would be most celebrated western holiday in general. Especially in many of the countries that were colonised.
    True the only other Asian country I can think of where Christmas might be a big deal is the Philippines, but that's probably because of colonialism + religion.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    True the only other Asian country I can think of where Christmas might be a big deal is the Philippines, but that's probably because of colonialism + religion.
    Sort of ironic, considering that the manufacturing of Christmas decorations is a huge industry in China.

BANNED

The way I see it, Superman love Santa Claus because that's the holiday where he can enjoy it with his family (Pa and Ma Kent). But let's be fair here, nowadays it's just an excuse to make little sister or brother for Jon.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Japan got pretty Americanized after WWII though, I wonder if the holiday is celebrated widely in other Asian countries?
    That's a very good point, actually. In Japan, the vibe didn't strike me as so much about celebrating the day itself, but the goodwill feeling that's the slogan of the season in general (and the decorations were amazing, I have to say).

I even picked up a CD of chiptune Chrismtas music there! A few sounded like something out of Mega Man (Rockman), which I absolutely loved.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    In Japan, the vibe didn't strike me as so much about celebrating the day itself, but the goodwill feeling that's the slogan of the season in general
    That's largely the case in the USA too, where we are flooded with a barrage of Hallmark movies in which a grouchy character learns that "the true meaning of Christmas" is being happy and feeling love towards your fellow man, which of course it isn't.

Astonishing Member

That's largely the case in the USA too, where we are flooded with a barrage of Hallmark movies in which a grouchy character learns that "the true meaning of Christmas" is being happy and feeling love towards your fellow man, which of course it isn't.
    It’s not? Then, what is it?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    It’s not? Then, what is it?
    It is (or originally was) a Christian holiday meant to commemorate the birth of Jesus, God's plan to redeem mankind from sin, the granting of eternal life, etc., etc. That's rather different from feeling good about life and learning that we should all care for one another, giving is better than receiving, love is the greatest virtue, family is what counts, etc., etc. And be sure to buy stuff, at your Hallmark store!

And to add to the complication, if memory serves a lot of the trappings of the holiday as we celebrate it aren't christian at all, but came from Germanic/celtic/Norse/wherever the hell regions before they were converted. Those traditions were adopted and folded into the holiday to make it easier for those old vikings and Scots and whoever to adapt.

And today, damn few people seem to give jesus a second thought on christmas; it's about family and giving gifts and bitching about the decorations being in Target before Halloween was ever over.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    That's a very good point, actually. In Japan, the vibe didn't strike me as so much about celebrating the day itself, but the goodwill feeling that's the slogan of the season in general (and the decorations were amazing, I have to say).

I even picked up a CD of chiptune Chrismtas music there! A few sounded like something out of Mega Man (Rockman), which I absolutely loved.
    Japan celebrate Christmas only for KFC and date. That's the only thing they care about Christmas.

Btw now that I hear it Rockman really has similar tone to Christmas tune, though it might be the orchestra.

I loved the JLU episode where Clark invited Martian Manhunter to the Kent farm for Christmas. Supes getting all excited about spending Christmas with his parents was just great. Martha mentioning that they had to wrap his presents with lead covering because Clark always tries to peak inside was hilarious.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Martha mentioning that they had to wrap his presents with lead covering because Clark always tries to peak inside was hilarious.
    He's still at it...