Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I hope those citizens push like hell to keep Trump out. The only reason he moved to Florida in the first place was because New Yorkers hated his guts, and yeah, he was feeling the heat from SDNY and wanted out of that particular kitchen. Let Trump be forced to return to the Big Apple to sweat out that inevitable trial after his term ends on January 20th.
    For the rest of his life, no matter where he lives, half the people there will hate his guts more than anyone in the world.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    For the rest of his life, no matter where he lives, half the people there will hate his guts more than anyone in the world.
    Exactly that. There is NO middle ground when it comes to Trump, not after his disastrous foray into politics.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I hope those citizens push like hell to keep Trump out. The only reason he moved to Florida in the first place was because New Yorkers hated his guts, and yeah, he was feeling the heat from SDNY and wanted out of that particular kitchen. Let Trump be forced to return to the Big Apple to sweat out that inevitable trial after his term ends on January 20th.
    Even if Fuhrer Trump is banned from one Floridian town, he can move to another town in Florida. He can also move to Texas for all I care. If he doesn't have any other property in Florida, he can afford to buy property in a town who'd welcome him with open arms.

LOL

My boyfriend got his covid vaccine yesterday and I can tell you the most prominent side effect is the inability to shut up about getting the covid vaccine

He's probably a front line/health care worker. I think it's great he got it, I just love the response to it.
    Last edited by Tami; 12-18-2020 at 05:43 AM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Repeat: Religious intolerance. Transphobia. I didn't mention it earlier, but the racism, and dragging his "black friend" on to explain why it was okay for him to have used a racial slur on his show.

I've been done with Bill Maher for at least a decade. Those are some great reasons why.
    This has nothing to do with what he said in the video.

I can completely appreciate an argument that because you don't want his advice for Democrats because of other (slightly related) views he holds. Do you think his advice is politically unhelpful (if Democrats took it, they would likelier to lose elections or less likely to achieve important policy goals) or that it's not worth compromising on values in this way?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Why is it only the Democrats that have to reach across? I never heard people say Trump or McConnell have to work with the Democrats. I doubt Biden appointing a Republican to the cabinet would get a single Republican to support him. They would just call that person a traitor.
    There are pieces about how Trump had opportunities to work with Democrats, and his failure to do so is a big part of why he was a mediocre President.

Republicans have some advantages Democrats don't (geographic sorting and high representation within rural communities provide an edge in the number of members of Congress) and many of their policies are often easier to implement politically. Democrats tend to want ambitious spending, which requires all sorts of approval from agencies and elected officials. It's easier to redirect existing spending, or to do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Oh, I understand that. My point with that example was more that you have some folks going, "See! The PC Police are even going after Harry Potter! They're out of control!" Many of these same people were trying to cancel JK for either writing books with witchcraft in them or saying that Dumbledore was gay.
    I think the "ban books with witchcraft" crowd is a different one from the ones who like Joe Rogan.

For progressives to argue that some conservatives censor, the argument would have to be that conservatives are right to push for censorship, but they're fighting for the wrong type of censorship.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    You’re listing self censorship by private corporations, so I guess your answer was no, you do not know what censorship is. Because deciding to take down or amend your own possibly offensive material ain’t it!
    Self-censorship remains a form of censorship.

It could sometimes be done for the right reasons, but that's not always the case.

It's also important to consider why a company chooses a particular course. Outside pressure can lead to organizations to make the wrong decisions.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Tulsi really going full mask off conservative.

Outgoing Democratic Rep. @TulsiGabbard has introduced legislation that would ban abortions of babies who can feel pain.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Good thing she's in the House. Had she been in the Senate her defection/extremity would have been more costly than Joe Manchin's (say what you want about him, dude voted to impeach Trump which Gabbard didn't).

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Good thing she's in the House. Had she been in the Senate her defection/extremity would have been more costly than Joe Manchin's (say what you want about him, dude voted to impeach Trump which Gabbard didn't).
    Razor thin. Right now, the House is under Dem control by just 4 seats. At least one has been tagged for an appointment to the Biden Administration. If the Dems lose any more seats, it could be mean losing control of the House.

Though I think there are still two seats in contention, but they may go to Republicans.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Razor thin. Right now, the House is under Dem control by just 4 seats. At least one has been tagged for an appointment to the Biden Administration. If the Dems lose any more seats, it could be mean losing control of the House.

Though I think there are still two seats in contention, but they may go to Republicans.
    I'm wondering if the percentage of GOP house members taking the vaccine will be lower than that of Democrats.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    I'm wondering if the percentage of GOP house members taking the vaccine will be lower than that of Democrats.
    I'm sure there are a few* anti-vaxxers among the Republican Caucus.

*anywhere from 1 to all.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Brazil's president Bolsonaro, I am not making this up, warned today that the Pfizer vaccine could turn people into alligators.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

COVID-19 stimulus talks hit an unexpected setback when a GOP senator insisted on extra rules to throttle lending by the Federal Reserve

Last-minute differences between Democrats and Republicans over a COVID-19 relief bill have pushed the likely timeline back to at least the weekend.

It came after Republican Sen. Pat Toomey argued for an extra condition to be added to the package, limiting the ability of the Federal Reserve to lend money via emergency programs.

Democrats vigorously oppose the measure, which they say will constrain the incoming Biden administration. The disagreement put a dampener on hopes that a deal was imminent.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said Thursday that it was "highly likely" that congressional lawmakers would continue haggling through the weekend.

Supreme Court gives Trump administration more time to exclude undocumented immigrants from census

WASHINGTON – The Supreme Court Friday gave the Trump administration a few more weeks to try to exclude undocumented immigrants from the census count used to apportion seats in Congress, in part because the effort may prove fruitless.

The quick decision in a case argued Nov. 30 signaled the court's hope that it can avoid a more consequential ruling on an issue that could affect the balance of political power in Congress for the next decade.

The decision was unsigned, but the court's three liberal justices dissented. They would have struck down the policy without further ado.

President Donald Trump announced in July his intention to exclude up to 10.5 million undocumented immigrants from the tabulation on the theory that they are not permanent residents and do not merit political representation.

AXIOS: Acting Defense Secretary Chris Miller ordered a Pentagon-wide halt to cooperation with the transition of President-elect Biden, shocking officials across the Defense Department, senior administration officials tell Axios

Scoop: Pentagon halts Biden transition briefings

Acting Defense Secretary Chris Miller ordered a Pentagon-wide halt to cooperation with the transition of President-elect Biden, shocking officials across the Defense Department, senior administration officials tell Axios.

Behind the scenes: A top Biden official was unaware of the directive. Administration officials left open the possibility cooperation would resume after a holiday pause. The officials were unsure what prompted Miller's action, or whether President Trump approved.

Why it matters: Miller's move, which stunned officials throughout the Pentagon, was the biggest eruption yet of animus and mistrust toward the Biden team from the top level of the Trump administration.
    Trump is scheduled to meet with Miller at 3:30 p.m. today, per pool.

I wonder when Trump is going to realize that the Incoming Biden Admin will have access to everything Trump did over the last 4 years, all documents and all personnel who knew about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Self-censorship remains a form of censorship.
    No shit. I mean, the giveaway is right there in the name.

Jokes aside, deciding to censor something yourself, that you own, is a far different thing than being censored against your will by a controlling body. It's simple math.
    And the argument was "the left" calling for censorship. But all dude could muster up for his point was self censorship. Which really isn't the same thing, and we all know it.