Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    iMan 42s

The next time Aunt May dies she better just stay dead. Don't bother killing her or don't bring her back if you do. Nothing against the character but she has come back to life almost as much as Kaine.
    As for MJ? It would be really ballsy, and cause a huge uproar. Thing is that a death and especially one for a long time character needs to have weight to it. You can't just kill her off and move on. She plays such a huge role with Peter despite them no longer dating or being married. It just doesn't seem like something worth doing.

However I promise you that if someone wrote MJ died, she was shot sixty times in the face, partially eaten by a supervillain, drowned, incinerated thrown into space in a vibranium/ adamantium coffin and sent into the sun with her soul being destroyed and wiped clean from history. A hack writer will bring her back and claim it was an actress, all a dream, or get Mephisto to warp reality. I am so not kidding.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    However I promise you that if someone wrote MJ died, she was shot sixty times in the face, partially eaten by a supervillain, drowned, incinerated thrown into space in a vibranium/ adamantium coffin and sent into the sun with her soul being destroyed and wiped clean from history. A hack writer will bring her back and claim it was an actress, all a dream, or get Mephisto to warp reality. I am so not kidding.
    Actually, a hack writer would do all those things you just mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Lion View Post
    Wasn't it specifically Mackie and Byrne who suggested Aunt May come back? Just imagine if they hadn't had that "bright idea"
    Well, I think bringing Aunt May back undercut one of the great Spider-Man stories.

But at the same time I think JMS wrote the best Aunt May I've ever read.

I really wish they'd go back to her knowing. But it would be complicated now with her being married.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Well, I think bringing Aunt May back undercut one of the great Spider-Man stories.

But at the same time I think JMS wrote the best Aunt May I've ever read.

I really wish they'd go back to her knowing. But it would be complicated now with her being married.
    Totally agree, she went from annoying sickly old lady to pretty good supporting and strong character. I really liked JMS May, and I couldn't care less for present day Aunt May.

With May not knowing anymore and MJ gone, Peter is lacking good supporting (not-superhero) characters who know his secret, that made him way more relatable. I'm not saying that Anna Maria isn't a good character, but she isn't stablished enough, and to be honest, his reaction to all the Superior Spiderman stuff was really weird, like she didn't care much at all...

I liked Carlie Cooper and how she didn't take any **** from Peter, they should have let her stay, she had character.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Spider View Post
    Golden Oldie FTW.

Attachment 24387
    Aunt May needs a rival to counterbalance Peter's family side. Here is the perfect person:

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Garrote View Post
    Totally agree, she went from annoying sickly old lady to pretty good supporting and strong character. I really liked JMS May, and I couldn't care less for present day Aunt May.

With May not knowing anymore and MJ gone, Peter is lacking good supporting (not-superhero) characters who know his secret, that made him way more relatable. I'm not saying that Anna Maria isn't a good character, but she isn't stablished enough, and to be honest, his reaction to all the Superior Spiderman stuff was really weird, like she didn't care much at all...

I liked Carlie Cooper and how she didn't take any **** from Peter, they should have let her stay, she had character.
    I think that non Spider-Man created characters like Jennifer Walters(Human persona who takes on the role of Intellectual Attorney and Patent Attorney) or Greer Grant(Tigra) could take on the role of Carlie Cooper as Greer does have ties to the NYPD and is a Crime Scene Investigator.

Amazing Member

]
    Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    They won't be getting ready for that. This isn't Game of Thrones. May and MJ are core characters and not going anywhere.
    Have you been reading Secret Wars? There's a giant wall patrolled by the nights watch, I mean the thors, and strange looks very littlefingerish... Anything possible going forward, im expecting a wedding to go very wrong very soon...

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    I think that non Spider-Man created characters like Jennifer Walters(Human persona who takes on the role of Intellectual Attorney and Patent Attorney) or Greer Grant(Tigra) could take on the role of Carlie Cooper as Greer does have ties to the NYPD and is a Crime Scene Investigator.
    Yeah, but both are superheroes, I think Peter needs more "normal" close friends who see things from another perspective. As for superhero friends I always liked how the 4F acted as an extended family for him (Specially Johnny, of course)

BANNED

Yeah, but both are superheroes, I think Peter needs more "normal" close friends who see things from another perspective. As for superhero friends I always liked how the 4F acted as an extended family for him (Specially Johnny, of course)
    Define normal? Most of Spider-Man's cast has deep psychological issues and hidden depths that could classify them as sick in the head.

The problem with killing off and then bringing back Aunt May is that it makes it hard for future writers to tread that ground. Not that it'd be impossible to beat, but Amazing #400 by JMD is widely considered a masterpiece, yet she's alive and well in the Spidey books. So why kill her off?

I suppose the answer is that, eventually, a majority of readers may have never read Amazing #400 and deserve "their own" story of the death of Aunt May.

Regardless, I don't think it'll happen anytime soon.

-Pav, who was happy with Aunt Anna playing a bigger role post- Clone Saga...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    I suppose the answer is that, eventually, a majority of readers may have never read Amazing #400 and deserve "their own" story of the death of Aunt May..
    With all the trades and digital media at this point, I'm not sure anything noteworthy will necessary slip to the point that a majority hasn't read it.

I could be wrong. But I think we're still watching the change in how comics are consumed in progress.

Quote Originally Posted by jimishim12 View Post
    Define normal? Most of Spider-Man's cast has deep psychological issues and hidden depths that could classify them as sick in the head.
    Well, I don't see Aunt May (Extraordinay supporting character when she was written by JMS), MJ or Carlie so badly traumatized.

To be fair, they actually should, but only because of Spidey related kidnappings and that kind of stuff that would leave anybody with at least a bad case of PTSD. Fortunately they are not portrayed like that. Maybe because in marvel universe, your regular new yorker has already suffered all kind of weird stuff, including, just to name a few, hundreds of alien invasions, getting spider powers, or being possesed by symbiotes. Twice (Planet of symbiotes and one Mighty Avengers story)

Spidey stuff aside, Aunt May for example may have witnessed his husband's murder, but at least that is something anyone can have the misfortune of experiencing in real life (and as hard as it is, is something you can overcome without going mental)

With normal I mean unpowered people with normal lives (as normal as living in Marvel universe NY can be).

After all Peter is just some kid from Queens, not an asgardian god, an out of his time super-soldier or some rich super-inventor (Uh...forget that last one I guess...)

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    With all the trades and digital media at this point, I'm not sure anything noteworthy will necessary slip to the point that a majority hasn't read it.

I could be wrong. But I think we're still watching the change in how comics are consumed in progress.
    This is a good point, Tuck. In fact, I think we're at the very beginning stages of a sea change in terms of comic creation, especially because of the way digital issues/ipads/etc cah advance the medium in new and unexpected ways.

That being said, old comics are old comics. Lately, I've been buying random single issues from a local secondhand store, and they're fun and all, but... they're old. The feel old and read old.

It might be that Amazing #400 might feel that way too, as great an issue as it is.

-Pav, who's beginning to understand a thing or two about feeling old...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Someone else is going have Peter making a deal with Mephisto, again, to bring them back.

Astonishing Member

Sometimes(like all characters), it's good to go beyond what's initially presented by adding a few non-spidey created characters as with all other comic book titles. Otherwise, things become so routine. And Jennifer Walters in her human form would work well in Spider-Man's world in a professional and personal manner that we do not find in any other titles that she's present in as just plain Jennifer and not the She-Hulk. The same can be applied to Tigra as well because as Greer Grant, she could take on Carlie Cooper's role as Crime Scene investigator. All of which are normal everyday jobs that pays the bills at home, which makes them fit into Peter's social circles in a normal setting. And if both Greer and Jennifer got to know Peter, they would find that his personal life is no different from their own as they have a lot in common with him, such as how they dealt with the loss of a loved as well as as being treated as an outcast long before they got superpowers and how they overcame the problems associated with them...
    Last edited by Darthfury78; 07-08-2015 at 10:47 AM.