Default X-Books Continuity Problems

Does anyone else feels this last years continuity has been a problem?

The lack of consistency along the years hurts my enjoyment of some comic books. I love good stories, but Iīm a long (really long) X reader and what i fell in love was with the characters. So story is as important as continuity to me. I read X books to know what happens in the life of the characters i love, but if continuity fails... then i have doubts about the importance of keeping track of their lives.

Iīm 37, been reading X-men since 13.

Here are some continuity problems that pop to my mind, without thinking too much.

1 ) [ANXM] Idie and Kid-Apocalypse teaching Booby ti flirt and be socialy active: ... the comic itīs ok, but i canīt go over the fact that somehow... Kid-Apocalipse is an amazing dancer with people skills when he is a clone rised in an isolated world by Fantomex, or that we were shown how he deals with his destroy everything urges. Idie... since she was introduced her life has been problematic and a little alienated... when did she learned to blend in so well.

2 ) [UXM] Psylock and Sabertooth: he gutted her in one of the best comics i ever read, back in the 90s if I remember correctly. He litteraly left her intestins on the floor. How is she so happy to be aroud Creed.

3 ) [DOX/EX] What Psyclops did and Iliana hating psyclops:... not much to say, this is quite recent... somehow i donīt see her hating him for destroing the cloud. The hole Ciclops hating seams unsustainable.

4 ) [EX] Limbo and Magik: Wasnīt Limbo sucked in Ilianaīs body after it was attacked by Dormamu. That seamed important in the past, there was even a complet plot or event around that.

5 ) [UXM] Wasnīt exodus dead?: during AvX. I know itīs ok to have him but not even a mention about it?

6 ) [EX] Nightcrawler state of mind: this is not a direct continuity problem. But this bizarre nightcrawler personality dosnīt fit in his personal story. He was dead... now he is back. No big deal letīs make him crazy now.

7 ) Magic learning magik with Strange: i loved when you had the Dr. Strange type of spells performed by Magic. Those boxes that read: "Book of the Bishantee.. page 34... spell of... ". Gone.

Im sure thereīs much more. Maybe you can point out more.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gortam View Post
    5 ) [UXM] Wasnīt exodus dead?: during AvX. I know itīs ok to have him but not even a mention about it?
    Okay, my memory of this was Exodus showed up in Bendis' run in a very 'why would he do that?' role, which Bendis waved away as 'wasn't important to the story' and got killed off like a stooge. Then Bendis waved away the whole story with some timey wimey stuff which would presumably leave him as alive again.

(but, yes, lots of other issues plague the books)

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

The lack of consistency along the years hurts my enjoyment of some comic books. I love good stories, but Iīm a long (really long) X reader and what i fell in love was with the characters. So story is as important as continuity to me. I read X books to know what happens in the life of the characters i love, but if continuity fails... then i have doubts about the importance of keeping track of their lives.

Here are some continuity problems that pop to my mind, without thinking too much.

1 ) [ANXM] Idie and Kid-Apocalypse teaching Booby ti flirt and be socialy active: ... the comic itīs ok, but i canīt go over the fact that somehow... Kid-Apocalipse is an amazing dancer with people skills when he is a clone rised in an isolated world by Fantomex, or that we were shown how he deals with his destroy everything urges. Idie... since she was introduced her life has been problematic and a little alienated... when did she learned to blend in so well.
    Because writers only choose to denote her upbringing when she needs to make a point about being from Africa, being highly religious, etc. Otherwise writers have Americanized her entirely.

2 ) [UXM] Psylock and Sabertooth: he gutted her in one of the best comics i ever read, back in the 90s if I remember correctly. He litteraly left her intestins on the floor. How is she so happy to be aroud Creed.
    That's because she feel in love with Creed from AOA when she was on Exiles. So she's less inclined to feel as disgusted around him as others.

3 ) [DOX/EX] What Psyclops did and Iliana hating psyclops:... not much to say, this is quite recent... somehow i donīt see her hating him for destroing the cloud. The hole Ciclops hating seams unsustainable.
    You would think that, but Marvel editors are forcing it down the readers throats. At this point int time, most readers (because some you just can't get them to understand) recognize that what "Cyclops" did was nothing to warrant the Hitler characterization or the constant hate. Especially when at his funeral they were all lovey dovey about him, then 8 months later he's the devil again.

4 ) [EX] Limbo and Magik: Wasnīt Limbo sucked in Ilianaīs body after it was attacked by Dormamu. That seamed important in the past, there was even a complet plot or event around that.
    I presume that because all the other sorcerers were involved with moving the school to Limbo, it was resolved.

Essentially anything that happened with Matthew Mallory never happened. So Exodus dying, everything. Since he fixed the timeline.

6 ) [EX] Nightcrawler state of mind: this is not a direct continuity problem. But this bizarre nightcrawler personality dosnīt fit in his personal story. He was dead... now he is back. No big deal letīs make him crazy now.
    It's called poor writing. Yes Nightcrawler hasn't really been himself since he returned to life, but Claremont made him pretty stable by the end of his run. The notion that this mass grave made him lose his mind (when I know he's seen worse in Excalibur) was just garbage.

[QUOTE) 7 ) Magic learning magik with Strange: i loved when you had the Dr. Strange type of spells performed by Magic. Those boxes that read: "Book of the Bishantee.. page 34... spell of... ". Gone.

Im sure thereīs much more. Maybe you can point out more.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what the question is there. Magik has the ability to time travel through her step discs, and in order to make herself a better magic wielder she studies with Strange in the past and he wipes his memories of it.

Wow. Totally forgott about n2. Exiles Sabertooth and Betsy.

Speaking of which.... Psylock... what about her killing adiction. I cant remember the particular comic line but it was even a major plot / argument around her. And that was what? 2 years ago? Now it seams she is alright again about stabbing people.

Abour Magik and Magic i just liked the fact of how her magic was handled in a Dr. Strange way. It's a shame that detail is gone.

Ultimate Member

The less said about Exiles Sabretooth and Betsy the better, her killing addiction is a recent change that then every writer since has picked up on and then cured her of only to have the next writer have it back as soon as they start their run, or at least the idea of it being back at the start of their run...

This isn't a "continuity" problem. Oya and Evan have been attending the Jean Grey School for at least a year, so I don't see why they wouldn't change. Also, in ANX-Men #5 (IIRC) shows Oya rejecting her religion since she's been taught that who she was is a mistake. Also, Evan deals with that constantly. Come on, it was like the entirety of the Apocalypse Wars event for All-New X-Men.

BANNED

Frankly continuity is a mess at Marvel PERIOD these days. And you have this to thank for it:

To make it worse Illyana was with Cyclops/Emma when the cloud was destroyed.
    The one that got me is when she attacked Sunfire in Extraordinary X-Men for helping Cyclops.
    Maybe a little self hatred aimed outward.

Trying to catch up on 2 years of Marvel comics.....
    Comic Book Parody - Funny comic book stuff.
    X-Men: Drama of the Atom - An unfinished Battle of the Atom parody.

Yes. And my seething bitterness is apparently in most of my posts.
    Need Comics? Consider using my Affiliate link - helps keep my Podcast ad free!
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=1055159P01
    Check out the Comic Relief Podcast! - The podcast all about comics!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    Essentially anything that happened with Matthew Mallory never happened. So Exodus dying, everything. Since he fixed the timeline.
    Does this mean I'll get my "Vulcan vs Exodus" mini after all?
    Last edited by ZNOP; 01-31-2017 at 12:50 PM.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Frankly continuity is a mess at Marvel PERIOD these days. And you have this to thank for it:

True, true!!
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by anthony_lynch15 View Post
    To make it worse Illyana was with Cyclops/Emma when the cloud was destroyed.
    The one that got me is when she attacked Sunfire in Extraordinary X-Men for helping Cyclops.
    Maybe a little self hatred aimed outward.

LOL! That is too funny!
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZNOP View Post
    Does this mean I'll get my "Vulcan vs Exodus" mini after all?
    That would be amazing. I am dying for Vulcan to come back. Can you imagine him caught up in the IvX? It would have been incredible.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    That would be amazing. I am dying for Vulcan to come back. Can you imagine him caught up in the IvX? It would have been incredible.
    Since Attilan was utterly destroyed and they have nowhere to hide -- I can imagine Inhumans being on the receiving end of a random, time-tossed, Nimrod Sentinel.
    Last edited by ZNOP; 01-31-2017 at 03:15 PM.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Those all aren't really continuity flubs, though naturally X-comics have more than their share.

The X-Men have a history of weirdly forgiving anyone who does at least one nice thing or just says they want to and joins a team.

The X-Men have a history of getting super pissed off at other characters for one disagreeable move. You just have to remember, once they're on a team together, again, they'll probably make up.

Nightcrawler... his personality/characterization has always been a bit fractured. I love him. But, depending on who had more control over him at the time, he could come at things very, very differently.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)