Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Breakfast at Tiffany's, obv.

Revenge of the Nerds.

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner.

Gone with the Wind.

Airplane.

Even stuff like Amazon Women on the Moon or Kentucky Fried Movie might not make the cut today. Even though they are parodies.

Everyone says Blazing Saddles but I don't think so. For one thing, it was understood it was making fun of bigotry back then. Compare this to something like ROTN where there was actual rape involved and putting cameras in showers was seen as positive.

A lot of old Bugs Bunny cartoons wouldn't make the cut today either.
    Assassinate Putin!

Mighty Member

There was a Looney Tunes where Rocky and Mugsy thought Daffy could lay golden eggs. When Daffy (obviously) couldn't comply, Rocky shot him in the head...and Daffy laid a golden egg! " I guess you CAN do anything with a gun to your head!", says Daffy, only to then be presented with a million egg cartons he has to fill. Thirty years later, this cartoon is part of a Bugs Bunny special; the gun to the head was censored, but after the egg laying, Daffy says he's going to "need a good proctologist", a joke that wouldn't have been allowed in the 1950s. Quite a juxtaposition.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Everyone says Blazing Saddles but I don't think so. For one thing, it was understood it was making fun of bigotry back then.
    That's no longer considered justification for a white person saying the N-word. Nothing is.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    That's no longer considered justification for a white person saying the N-word. Nothing is.
    But you can to show racism. They did in Blackkklasman and Lovecraft Country.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    But you can to show racism. They did in Blackkklasman and Lovecraft Country.
    Both of those are written by black people, so maybe that gives the actors a pass. Even back in 1974 when they were filming Blazing Saddles, Burton Gilliam (the "sing us a n*** work song" guy) had a big problem using that word on Cleavon Little, even in character, until Little reassured him it was OK.

Both of those are written by black people, so maybe that gives the actors a pass. Even back in 1974 when they were filming Blazing Saddles, Burton Gilliam (the "sing us a n*** work song" guy) had a big problem using that word on Cleavon Little, even in character, until Little reassured him it was OK.
    Okay, so a black creator can have a white actor say the N word.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Yes, and Richard Pryor was one of the writers for the film and Mel Brooks has said that he ran every line that had the N-word in it by Pryor. I guess you could say that Mel Brooks had "Pryor Approval" for using the N-word. And it was used to point out the stupidity of racism. The scene that might have to be drastically changed is the one at the end with Dom DeLuise as Buddy Bazar directing the old school musical. That scene is clearly homophobic and not in an ironic way.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Lovecraft Country (the book the series is based on) was written by a white man, actually.

And I think we overblie how sensitive people are today. Something like Blazing Saddles would be looked at the same way as RDJ in Tropic Thunder. If it's clearly making racism as a parody/negative then it's fine. But something like ROTN, as stated above, made sexual assault into a virtue. That's different.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    "Young Frankenstein" would not be as bad but would probably be accused of sexism. Even when I saw it in the 1970s, I didn't like the rape scene where she decides she likes it. That would have to go.
    Along those lines, add Rocky Horror Picture to that list.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    "All in the Family". There would be people who could not comprehend that Archie Bunker was not meant to be a role model but a parody.
    Considering Eric Cartman is the modern day Archie Bunker, I wonder if Trey Parker and Matt Stone could get away with an All in the Family reboot if their names were attached to it?

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    I guess you could say that Mel Brooks had "Pryor Approval" for using the N-word.
    Careful with that kind of language. By which I mean that painful pun.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Breakfast at Tiffany's, obv.

Revenge of the Nerds.

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner.

Gone with the Wind.

Airplane.

Even stuff like Amazon Women on the Moon or Kentucky Fried Movie might not make the cut today. Even though they are parodies.

Everyone says Blazing Saddles but I don't think so. For one thing, it was understood it was making fun of bigotry back then. Compare this to something like ROTN where there was actual rape involved and putting cameras in showers was seen as positive.
    The Problem is that even if something is making fun of bigotry or is clearly showing it as the horrible thing it is, some people will get furious, if certain words are used. But only in certain movies. 12 years a slave could use the word but Django unchained got into trouble with some people, because the first one is more "relevant".
    Interviews with Foxx and Jackson were making some points about it.

Astonishing Member

I don't know which Western it was, but a Cowboy came to town and there was a Woman. She was screaming at him, because he was rude to her or something. So he got enough of her bickering pulled her by the hair, walked with her into a barn or an old shack and just fucked her. She was clearly feeling better after he banged her. It was a rape scene, with hinting that the woman wanted to be raped.

I recall that out of my memory. It may be a Clint Eastwood western, but I don't know that anymore. Its over 25 years ago that I have seen it.

Pretty Baby. Full frontal nudity of 12-year-old Brooke Shields. Or Blue Lagoon and Endless Love, in which she was strongly sexualized as a minor.
    It's pretty crazy how many 70s/80s mainstream movies had blatantly sexualized teenage girl roles. Nastassja Kinski began her career doing full frontal nudity at like 13 or 14.

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    Along those lines, add Rocky Horror Picture to that list.

Considering Eric Cartman is the modern day Archie Bunker, I wonder if Trey Parker and Matt Stone could get away with an All in the Family reboot if their names were attached to it?

Careful with that kind of language. By which I mean that painful pun.
    I cringed as I typed it.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    I don't know which Western it was, but a Cowboy came to town and there was a Woman. She was screaming at him, because he was rude to her or something. So he got enough of her bickering pulled her by the hair, walked with her into a barn or an old shack and just fucked her. She was clearly feeling better after he banged her. It was a rape scene, with hinting that the woman wanted to be raped.

I recall that out of my memory. It may be a Clint Eastwood western, but I don't know that anymore. Its over 25 years ago that I have seen it.
    Maybe Water Hole #3. Had something similar. Can't remember if there was something like this in High Plains Drifter.

I feel like the idea that something wouldn't get made today because of potentially offensive content isn't totally true, certainly I think some stuff wouldn't have gotten as big of a budget or a mainstream a release as it would have in the past, but I don't think any of the examples listed wouldn't have gotten out in some form(though i'll make an exception for TV since they are way more strict with network shows, though streaming is changing that too). I mean, we got stuff like Loqueesha, in which a white guy pretends he's a black women to get a radio job, Jeeper's Creepers 3 which itself has nothing offensive in it BUT was directed by a convicted pedophile, and then stuff like Nymphomaniac and Serbian film which are both movies I don't particularly care to describe much of. There is still tons of offensive stuff out there, it's just in different places as society changes.