Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    A successful CW show these days gets about 1+ million viewers per episode. You're only going to get so far influencing fans with those numbers. And as long as they write the shows the way they do, and are restricted by low budgets, I'm just not ever going to care.

Anyway, Superman's heyday is probably long done. It was a nice run, but that's life. Bugs ain't king anymore. Neither is Mickey Mouse. You just can't expect the same properties to be the most popular stuff for decades on decades. Maybe Superman could've reigned supreme a little longer with better management, but all things come to an end.
    It has been a good run, it may be time to pack it in.

Personally I'd like to see Superman be returned to kids. Get some cartoons going, maybe a nice big Pixar-y animated flick. I'm not interested in animation, but I've enjoyed the character enough- let the concept grow again.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Animated theatrical with bradbird at the helm would be a dream come true.
    I have to ask, what do you guys think of the news that one punch man getting a movie? If it becomes a hit and is good(i doubt it. Hollywood sucks with manga adaptation). How would that impact superman as character?
    I am thinking the same thing. Animation could be perfect for the guy. Disney, Pixar put up a plethora of good films which earn lots of money too. Its a more cost effective option. The medium offers more freedom to go over the top, fantastical and insane. Look at Into the Spiderverse.

Hard to predict the impact of Saitama on Superman. Who knows? Maybe some youtube videos and opinion pieces about how Superman sucks and Saitama is great and vice versa. One Punch Man will get wider exposure, meaning more fans, even in the worst case scenario. Maybe it would have a positive impact. Executives may think such a powerful hero works onscreen maybe Superman can work as well.

Extraordinary Member

It’s funny. A decade ago it was all Superman and Goku comparisons. Now we’ve come to Saitama.

As far as cross media with Superman, what about a Lex Luthor film in the vein of Joker?

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    It’s funny. A decade ago it was all Superman and Goku comparisons. Now we’ve come to Saitama.

As far as cross media with Superman, what about a Lex Luthor film in the vein of Joker?
    Goku isn't even the same genre as superman(if we takes superheroes as a distinct genre). One punch man is directly a superhero. Hence, this comparison will have some weight behind it.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I don't think the CW shows are the global juggernaut that the MCU is, but they do reach a sizeable audience around the world. Trust me, prior to Covid-19, I traveled extensively around Asia, Europe and North America. Those CW shows are very popular with the kids, as is Riverdale.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    It has been a good run, it may be time to pack it in.

Personally I'd like to see Superman be returned to kids. Get some cartoons going, maybe a nice big Pixar-y animated flick. I'm not interested in animation, but I've enjoyed the character enough- let the concept grow again.
    I agree. The character would work so well in a Spider-verse type movie that featured all the various incarnations of the character.

Yeah, my some of my favorite Superman-related stuff in the prior decade were Lego and Justice League Action. I felt those things could've been that generation's Super Friends, but WB never really tried too hard to reach out to wider kid audiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    That's easy to say if all you do is read comics, but we're talking pop culture, and in pop culture grit and edge isn't what people are getting, they're getting the bright and cheery MCU. Basically Superman's lighthearted style is the norm. On the one hand that could be good for him, on the other it means he has to compete in his own space. He can't just be "not gritty" and expect people to find it a breath of fresh air. Comic fans are tired of the gritty and edgy and will welcome something new, the movie audience though is already in a bright and hopeful Marvel universe.
    That's a fair point, but Clark's appeal has never been in being the "not gritty one" and the success of the MCU is only a good thing for all of us. If a film is quality, he doesn't have to worry about the competition any more than Aquaman did.

I suppose it's true that the MCU has pushed fans of the genre out of the "grimdark" stuff, but plenty of things still revolve around that hook. People were talking about Game of Thrones earlier and you don't get much more grimdark and twisted than that. Breaking Bad, Lost....all the shows in recent memory that have dominated the pop culture discussion have been pretty serious and screwed up. The MCU is kind of an outlier in this, and some of their films haven't just been zingers and action set pieces either.

I definitely agree with the idea of giving Superman back to kids. That's who he belongs to, not old bastards like me. Smashes the Klan seems like a good place to start. Done right, that's the kind of movie that would make Into the Spider-Verse seem like a modest success.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I don't think the MCU is a great thing for everyone. A lot of the MCU movies exist in a weird in-between where they aren't for kids or adults, they just kind of exist. The Captain America films, and maybe Black Panther are outliers in this and do seem to try and say something.

I think to make Superman work as a modern character would require some changes to the character and the fandom just doesn't seem to invite that.

A children's show SUPERMAN'S PAL JIMMY OLSEN cartoon with ADVENTURE TIME quality writing and direction behind it would be stellar. A big budget, warm hearted animated film too. Something akin to IRON GIANT. I think kids would more readily allow the character to be modernized.

Has anyone ever watched the DC Shorts from Cartoon Network? They're on the DC app now and there's a lovely Deadman one and a great Shazam one- both of which should be shows in their own right.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 05-25-2020 at 08:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    That's a fair point, but Clark's appeal has never been in being the "not gritty one" and the success of the MCU is only a good thing for all of us. If a film is quality, he doesn't have to worry about the competition any more than Aquaman did.

I suppose it's true that the MCU has pushed fans of the genre out of the "grimdark" stuff, but plenty of things still revolve around that hook. People were talking about Game of Thrones earlier and you don't get much more grimdark and twisted than that. Breaking Bad, Lost....all the shows in recent memory that have dominated the pop culture discussion have been pretty serious and screwed up. The MCU is kind of an outlier in this, and some of their films haven't just been zingers and action set pieces either.

I definitely agree with the idea of giving Superman back to kids. That's who he belongs to, not old bastards like me. Smashes the Klan seems like a good place to start. Done right, that's the kind of movie that would make Into the Spider-Verse seem like a modest success.
    That's something i don't have a hard time agreeing with. In India there was a superhero show in the 90s. Shaktimaan. http://https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ShaktimaanThat show was a massive hit. Kids were mad for Shaktimaan. The character shares a lot of similarities with Superman even though his powers were based on magic/Indian mysticism.

You have a superhero who would be considered OP by many. He used to work as a newspaper reporter. While not exactly mild mannered, the writers were definitely copying Clark Kent. There was a version of Lois Lane as well. They had a mad scientist like Lex Luthor. Though he wasn't Shaktimaan's archenemy. They even got a version of Kryptonite. Shaktimaan's personality was quite similar to Superman. Many would call him a boyscout. In fact, they got segments at the end of the show much like PSAs for kids.

So, this was a big success as late as 90s and early 2000s. It was targeted mainly towards kids. But it wasn't a 'kiddie' show like say Teen Titans Go! and adults could watch as well. So, in a way i was a fan of Superman before i even knew who Superman was.

Its to be noted that this 'Superman' didn't have to face a Batman or a Spider-man or an X-Men to compete for attention. It was at the time of its run something unique for Indian viewers. I think the biggest competition it got was a magic ring wearing superhero kid. While fairly successful, that show couldn't compete against Shaktimaan at all. You would think a kid superhero would have better appeal for kids. But nope.

Its one show which didn't end due to falling ratings. Rather due to contract disputes. Maybe Superman as a character has more appeal for kids then adults.

And that's where they should target. If they make movies keep kids as the main target, but be enjoyable to adults as well.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 05-25-2020 at 10:38 AM.

I don't think the MCU is a great thing for everyone. A lot of the MCU movies exist in a weird in-between where they aren't for kids or adults, they just kind of exist. The Captain America films, and maybe Black Panther are outliers in this and do seem to try and say something.

I think to make Superman work as a modern character would require some changes to the character and the fandom just doesn't seem to invite that.

A children's show SUPERMAN'S PAL JIMMY OLSEN cartoon with ADVENTURE TIME quality writing and direction behind it would be stellar. A big budget, warm hearted animated film too. Something akin to IRON GIANT. I think kids would more readily allow the character to be modernized.

Has anyone ever watched the DC Shorts from Cartoon Network? They're on the DC app now and there's a lovely Deadman one and a great Shazam one- both of which should be shows in their own right.
    I think i have seen one short on Lois Lane. Is it listed as DC Nation on Youtube?

Jimmy Olsen is a great idea. 2D animation is pretty much over. Think Spiderverse or Incredibles.There is so much potentisl to the property as a whole. Super Sons is one idea which can make a good show. I would say the kooky Silver Age Superman is great too. You have to make the required changes to make it work now. But imo that would make a great Superman show.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    That's something i don't have a hard time agreeing with. In India there was a superhero show in the 90s. Shaktimaan. http://https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ShaktimaanThat show was a massive hit. Kids were mad for Shaktimaan. The character shares a lot of similarities with Superman even though his powers were based on magic/Indian mysticism.

You have a superhero who would be considered OP by many. He used to work as a newspaper reporter. While not exactly mild mannered, the writers were definitely copying Clark Kent. There was a version of Lois Lane as well. They had a mad scientist like Lex Luthor. Though he wasn't Shaktimaan's archenemy. They even got a version of Kryptonite. Shaktimaan's personality was quite similar to Superman. Many would call him a boyscout. In fact, they got segments at the end of the show much like PSAs for kids.

So, this was a big success as late as 90s and early 2000s. It was targeted mainly towards kids. But it wasn't a 'kiddie' show like say Teen Titans Go! and adults could watch as well. So, in a way i was a fan of Superman before i even knew who Superman was.

Its to be noted that this 'Superman' didn't have to face a Batman or a Spider-man or an X-Men to compete for attention. It was at the time of its run something unique for Indian viewers. I think the biggest competition it got was a magic ring wearing superhero kid. While fairly successful, that show couldn't compete against Shaktimaan at all. You would think a kid superhero would have better appeal for kids. But nope.

Its one show which didn't end due to falling ratings. Rather due to contract disputes. Maybe Superman as a character has more appeal for kids then adults.

And that's where they should target. If they make movies keep kids as the main target, but be enjoyable to adults as well.
    Hate to break it to you. Shakthimaan is a superman ripoff. Those resemblances aren't coincidental.It's like marvel with their countless copies. Superman gets ripped off in asian fiction quite alot.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    I think i have seen one short on Lois Lane. Is it listed as DC Nation on Youtube?

Jimmy Olsen is a great idea. 2D animation is pretty much over. Think Spiderverse or Incredibles.There is so much potentisl to the property as a whole. Super Sons is one idea which can make a good show. I would say the kooky Silver Age Superman is great too. You have to make the required changes to make it work now. But imo that would make a great Superman show.
    Yeah! It's listed as DC NATION. They're all kinda fun and worth a watch but the SHAZAM one and the DEADMAN ones really stuck out to me as stellar.

I haven't seen INTO THE SPIDERVERSE but I know it was a hit, so I can agree that's a good route. I remember thinking the concept seemed way more SUPERMAN than SPIDER-MAN, and that it was a shame Spidey got to it first.

I think Jimmy Olsen is the way to go.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Yeah! It's listed as DC NATION. They're all kinda fun and worth a watch but the SHAZAM one and the DEADMAN ones really stuck out to me as stellar.

I haven't seen INTO THE SPIDERVERSE but I know it was a hit, so I can agree that's a good route. I remember thinking the concept seemed way more SUPERMAN than SPIDER-MAN, and that it was a shame Spidey got to it first.

I think Jimmy Olsen is the way to go.
    I think the CW show will do okay but I don't think kids will enjoy watching it unless they do all the wonder of the Superman Universe. The DC Nation shorts are terrific and the Billy Batson ones are hilarious. Into the Spiderverse is amazing, I think it's another highpoint for the Marvel Universe and it exists perfectly fine in any universe with Tom Holland's (or Tobey Maguire's Spiderman!)

I think Superman with Michael B. Jordan is the route to go. I think they should do a Superman Multiversity and have a Final Crisis level fight.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Animated theatrical with bradbird at the helm would be a dream come true.
    I have to ask, what do you guys think of the news that one punch man getting a movie? If it becomes a hit and is good(i doubt it. Hollywood sucks with manga adaptation). How would that impact superman as character?
    I don't trust Hollywood doing anime based movies.