View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 663 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 1635636136536596606616626636646656666676737137631163 ... LastLast
Results 9,931 to 9,945 of 21663

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Gaiman actually recounts what happened in his Midnight Days OHC.
    He and Jamie Delano were set to succeed Veitch - each doing six issues a year.
    The annual was to be his first issue - and it ended up being his last as he was halfway through the first story when DC declined to publish a story that Veitch had written and Michael Zulli had pencilled, in which ST met Jesus.
    (On a side note, I recall this actually being complete and there were rumors that DC would eventually publish it when they published Warren Ellis' "Shoot" tale featuring Constantine, which DC at one point also declined to publish, which led Ellis to leaving Hellblazer.)
    Gaiman talks a little more about it, but I encourage all of you to pick up the OHC
    Sounds good! Thanks for that info. I know its a brutal sin around here, but I've actually never read the Sandman before. I'd like to, I have plans to get the Absolute editions, they're just pricy. I feel like I would be betraying fans if I got another Gaiman work before Sandman (although I DID get his Black Orchid mini series...)

Fantastic Member The Flicker Fade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Gaiman actually recounts what happened in his Midnight Days OHC.
    He and Jamie Delano were set to succeed Veitch - each doing six issues a year.
    The annual was to be his first issue - and it ended up being his last as he was halfway through the first story when DC declined to publish a story that Veitch had written and Michael Zulli had pencilled, in which ST met Jesus.
    (On a side note, I recall this actually being complete and there were rumors that DC would eventually publish it when they published Warren Ellis' "Shoot" tale featuring Constantine, which DC at one point also declined to publish, which led Ellis to leaving Hellblazer.)
    Gaiman talks a little more about it, but I encourage all of you to pick up the OHC
    What could have been, right? Imagine that legacy of consecutive writers on a single character with Vertigo-level maturity in the storytelling. Swamp Thing might have become the biggest thing in comics.

I actually think Ellis was in the wrong with Hellblazer. He should have demurred and agreed to let them delay publication of the Shoot story. It's not like they wanted to cancel it outright and given the mood of the country right after Columbine, publishing it just would have felt wrong. It just would have. That's just how it was. But Ellis is English so who knows how that feeling over here was filtering to him over there. 'Course he probably also wanted to rub the bloody idiot Yanks' noses in it so we'd get the message about our love affair with guns, and use the opportunity to make it sting as much as possible in the futile hope his words might have an effect. When it finally did see publication we were all just numb to it, as we've continued to be toward our weekly mass shootings. America, **** yeah!

Gaiman's Black Orchid is highly underrated. It's such a beautiful story. Lyrical, almost, and the art is so pretty. It's a favorite of mine and no one seems to appreciate it enough. I'm glad to see some love!

Quote Originally Posted by The Flicker Fade View Post

Gaiman's Black Orchid is highly underrated. It's such a beautiful story. Lyrical, almost, and the art is so pretty. It's a favorite of mine and no one seems to appreciate it enough. I'm glad to see some love!
    It was brilliant. I especially loved the art. It felt like a modern fairy tail to me. Its a shame it didn't gain the popularity Books of Magic received, but that's okay. I wonder if I'll ever see a collection of the Black Orchid ongoing that came out of it. One can dream.

Spectacular Member

Batman & The Outsiders
    Batman by Brian K. Vaughan
    Superman: The Man of Tomorrow Book One
    DC Universe by Mike Mignola

These books are going to be standard trimsize, right?

Quote Originally Posted by GAMEPROFF View Post
    Batman & The Outsiders
    Batman by Brian K. Vaughan
    Superman: The Man of Tomorrow Book One
    DC Universe by Mike Mignola

These books are going to be standard trimsize, right?
    There is no way to know, these are pre-solicits, so nothing is set in stone. Going to have to wait until they are actually solicited to know more. I bet Man of Tomorrow ends up being TPB, Outsiders as well at least. Otherwise they'd be doing omnis, since for longer runs the two formats seem to be either TPB or omnibus, or omnibus first and then TPBs.

I'm incredibly excited for the Superman: MoT book. I was hoping DC would continue collecting Superman after MoS was done, and it looks like I might get my wish. I just hope DC puts them out at a little quicker pace than they did the MoS volumes.

I also must say it's ironic...after years of waiting for some sign of them doing this, I finally gave up & purchased every issue between the end of Byrne's run and the start of 'Death Of' so I could get them custom bound lol I might still do that (I wanted to include some things like Armegeddon 2001 & the Eclipso: Darkness Within stuff), but I'm excited to see what they include here.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    It was brilliant. I especially loved the art. It felt like a modern fairy tail to me. Its a shame it didn't gain the popularity Books of Magic received, but that's okay. I wonder if I'll ever see a collection of the Black Orchid ongoing that came out of it. One can dream.
    In Spain they collected that ongoing (and other Vertigo obscure titles) some years ago! But I remember the critics didn't liked it, somethink like a femme fatale Black Orchid...

Fantastic Member The Flicker Fade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    A version of Black Orchid appeared in the N52 Justice League Dark series for a few issues. I didn't really like that series (John Constantine is not a fucking superhero & it pissed all over Vertigo lore like the Books of Magic), but it shows she's not forgotten so maybe there's hope. Don't know if the character faded away again after that arc because I stopped reading.

Spectacular Member Lake Nowhere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    I'm incredibly excited for the Superman: MoT book. I was hoping DC would continue collecting Superman after MoS was done, and it looks like I might get my wish. I just hope DC puts them out at a little quicker pace than they did the MoS volumes.

I also must say it's ironic...after years of waiting for some sign of them doing this, I finally gave up & purchased every issue between the end of Byrne's run and the start of 'Death Of' so I could get them custom bound lol I might still do that (I wanted to include some things like Armegeddon 2001 & the Eclipso: Darkness Within stuff), but I'm excited to see what they include here.
    I didn't think they'd ever get around to doing this, but I'm very pumped. I hope they sell well enough to go all the way through the 90's, which were my prime superman-reading years. I also hope they don't waste time collecting the issues in the Death and Return of Superman Omnibus, and just move right on to 1994-2000. I've just started re-reading the post-death triangle books in their original single-issue format (up to Zero Hour right now,) and I love it. People always trash 90's comics, but the Superman books were never better, with a few limited series exceptions (All Seasons, All-Star).

Quote Originally Posted by seusilva View Post
    In Spain they collected that ongoing (and other Vertigo obscure titles) some years ago! But I remember the critics didn't liked it, somethink like a femme fatale Black Orchid...
    Aw man! Spain is where its at. Well I'll always have the Gaiman mini series then.

Quote Originally Posted by Lake Nowhere View Post
    I didn't think they'd ever get around to doing this, but I'm very pumped. I hope they sell well enough to go all the way through the 90's, which were my prime superman-reading years. I also hope they don't waste time collecting the issues in the Death and Return of Superman Omnibus, and just move right on to 1994-2000. I've just started re-reading the post-death triangle books in their original single-issue format (up to Zero Hour right now,) and I love it. People always trash 90's comics, but the Superman books were never better, with a few limited series exceptions (All Seasons, All-Star).
    Agreed 100%. Superman was consistently good, at its lowest, in the 90's. Never has Superman's world and his supporting cast been more fleshed out. Even the Electric era, in hindsight, has its positives. I'm most excited to (hopefully) see the Battle For / Fall of Metropolis. One of my favorite Superman arcs. The version I always wished for was granted to Batman with No Mans Land, but Fall of Metropolis has some good stuff in there. Here's hoping these books sell, and yes - skip Death / Return please. They just released some nice new editions of that, so it should be good to go.

It feels like they started collecting Byrne's run about a decade ago...10 years to reprint 2 years or so of stories. Here's hoping they can pump these out faster.
    Last edited by Clark_Kent; 07-27-2016 at 07:49 PM.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Quote Originally Posted by The Flicker Fade View Post
    A version of Black Orchid appeared in the N52 Justice League Dark series for a few issues. I didn't really like that series (John Constantine is not a fucking superhero & it pissed all over Vertigo lore like the Books of Magic), but it shows she's not forgotten so maybe there's hope. Don't know if the character faded away again after that arc because I stopped reading.
    I actually enjoyed JLD. I know it had its problems, but it was a lot of fun. She later resurfaced towards the end of the series yes, along with Andrew Benette and Frankenstein. She also appeared in the Animal Man/Swamp Thing Rotworld crossover. To my knowledge she hasn't appeared anywhere else. I think she was in the JLU preview where all the heroes were supposed to show up (but obviously never did), and I think she was in that DC teaser for that massive magic crossover that never happened and was never spoken of again. (I assume that's what it was anyway)

Incredible Member

With respect to the Supergirl: Bronze Age omnibus someone over at the MMW Forums estimated the page count at roughly 700 (and said supergirl #11 didn't exist) and someone on the bleedingcool comments about this batch of amazon fishes said that edelweiss have already listed a cancellation notice for this paperback collection. Which means we are almost certainly looking at a repeat of the supergirl silver age omnibus and this will get solicited as a proper hardcover. Id encourage anyone interested to get your amazon preorder in now while amazon has it listed at the paperback prices.

Incredible Member

I read all that too quickly and thought you were talking about a SuperMAN Bronze Age omni. Something I've been craving for freakin' years.

Quote Originally Posted by drd View Post
    With respect to the Supergirl: Bronze Age omnibus someone over at the MMW Forums estimated the page count at roughly 700 (and said supergirl #11 didn't exist) and someone on the bleedingcool comments about this batch of amazon fishes said that edelweiss have already listed a cancellation notice for this paperback collection. Which means we are almost certainly looking at a repeat of the supergirl silver age omnibus and this will get solicited as a proper hardcover. Id encourage anyone interested to get your amazon preorder in now while amazon has it listed at the paperback prices.
    I just did, thank you! BA is more my cup of tea than SA so for this price I would gladly take an omnibus.