Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    This is nothing more than a hard left from dealing with the impact of putting an alpha black male that might potentially be plowing white European women. There is still a fear of a world where black men have agency in higher circles of society. There were too many campaigns for Idris Elba to be 007, for the studio to pull this out there butts is pure comedy that secures white supremacists internalized egos. They are going to pretend to make her the big deal agent just for the (real 007) to come in and save the day and bag a bedwench for good measure. This is reminds me of what they did to Finn in Star Wars build him up prior just to switch out and put Rey as the true focus of the flick and trilogy.
    but... it seemed really obvious that Rey was going to be the main character. the fact that they had promo shots of Finn holding a light saber was certainly misleading... but there was never any real doubt that Rey would be the star of the new films.

besides, in contrast, Elba as James Bond was far more likely to be a reality than Finn being the main character in a new SW film. even then, Elba consistently dismissed those rumors.

your theory about how she'll just get built up as a big deal and then get side-lined certainly fits with tradition. I remember being disappointed that Michelle Yeoh got this sort of treatment when she appeared in a Bond film. yeah, I realize that it's a Bond movie - but I really like Yeoh, and was hoping that she'd get a bit more, I dunno, respect! it's still better than how they treated Chow Yun Fat in the Pirates of the Carribbean franchise, though.

honestly, my hopes for the franchise are smaller... what I'd like more is to have Massive Attack or Portishead do a new Bond song. after that dreadful Sam Smith number... well, I'd like an upgrade in the songs! and I always felt like either one of these groups could do a pretty fantastic Bond opener.

Pretty much part of the advertising for Wai Lin and later Jinx were that they were the first Bond girls to be "equals" to Bond.

However, we've had strong Bond girls before that such as Major Amasova, Holly Goodhead, Octopussy, Melina Havelock, Tracy Bond, Pam Bouvier (Yeah, some of the names are goofy and some found themselves in the ocassional "damsel in distress" situations-this still happened with Wai at the end of the movie and Jinx needed to be saved twice within a half hour-first from the laser machine and then from nearly drowning) but overall they were portrayed as competent and tough). Even Honey Rider was kind of badass at some points, as was Pussy galore.

I'm actually a bit more curious about Ana's character at this point. We know about Swann of course and this new 007, but she's a bit of a mystery. Reportedly part of the film is set in Cuba (Jamaica doubles for Cuba as well as itself in filming) and Armas is Cuban. We've got two good Bond girls, maybe she's the bad one? The Craig films haven't really had a villainous Bond girl, just ones that were kind of forced or blackmailed like Vesper, Severine etc. no real baddies like Fiona, Elektra, Frost or Xenia.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 07-16-2019 at 11:37 AM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Astonishing Member

your theory about how she'll just get built up as a big deal and then get side-lined certainly fits with tradition.
    Yup, She'll be sideline or a villain.

Remember when there was talk of a Jinx spin-off? If Die Another Day had performed, it would have happened.

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

Literally anybody can be Bond. It's as much a code name as 007 is.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

Quote Originally Posted by GozertheGozarian View Post
    No it isn't. Bond is his actual name, as confirmed in Skyfall.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    No it isn't. Bond is his actual name, as confirmed in Skyfall.
    But multiple people can (and do!) have the same last name, even if they're not related!

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    But multiple people can (and do!) have the same last name, even if they're not related!
    And the same first name, all in the same occupation with the same code name, i.e. 007?? Really?

I still think it's a cover name. Evidence to the contrary be damned!
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    Yup, She'll be sideline or a villain.

Remember when there was talk of a Jinx spin-off? If Die Another Day had performed, it would have happened.
    Die Another Day was pretty much the highest grossing of the Brosnan films. However, the film did receive a lot of negative reviews from critics and fans.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I still think it's a cover name. Evidence to the contrary be damned!
    It's been explicitly stated that both 007 and James Bond are covers.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    And the same first name, all in the same occupation with the same code name, i.e. 007?? Really?
    I mean, are we discussing possibility, or likelihood?

The most recent set of movies says otherwise, no? I thought he went to his childhood home and saw his parent's grave and all that?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

007 is his codename; James Bond is his real name. This is how it has always been.

The whole "James Bond is a code name" is one of the stupidest fan theories ever.

Extraordinary Member

No it’s not and anybody remotely familiar with series knows that the idea of James Bond being a codename is ridiculous

Extraordinary Member

Wrong again. Bond in both the books and the films has a backstory. Bond is the son of Andrew (a Scott) and Monique (French Woman) Bond. He grew up in their manor until they died in a climbing accident. Later went to Eton College etc. He has the exact same professional and personal dynamic with M, Q, Moneypenny and Felix Leiter.

It’s not a codename. It’s actually explicit that it isn’t.