Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Maybe, but even while married she's still often referred to as Storm because that name has the most recognition ( and it's the cooler sounding name tbh).
    Hence she's Susan Storm-Richards .

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Splash page from The Marvel Masterpieces Collection #3 (July, 1993). Art by Joe Jusko:

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Alex Ross' unused designs for a Fantastic Four relaunch pitch from Marvelocity: https://13thdimension.com/inside-loo...antastic-four/

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Alex Ross' unused designs for a Fantastic Four relaunch pitch from Marvelocity: https://13thdimension.com/inside-loo...antastic-four/

Very nice! This look just screams "Fantastic Four" to me as their iconic look (not the costumes per se, but the face/body looks).

Oh no! The Force Field cuts Sue off at the knees!

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Of all the alt-Sue relationships I've seen, this fits in an odd way.

Earth-42777, where Tony Stark rules the world as a despot and visited by the Exiles in Exiles #23-25.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Of all the alt-Sue relationships I've seen, this fits in an odd way.

Earth-42777, where Tony Stark rules the world as a despot and visited by the Exiles in Exiles #23-25.
    I didn't mind it because of how it happened in-story, but I'm tired of alt-Sue's being all about who Marvel can pair her with. That's why I enjoyed the leader of SHIELD Sue in Zdarsky's 2-in-One so much. She wasn't with Reed and instead of throwing her with another male hero they gave her an important position in that Marvel Universe. Give me more alternate realities like that and actually do something interesting with the character.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

What's your take then on Madame Hydra Sue shipped with Wolverine?
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    What's your take then on Madame Hydra Sue shipped with Wolverine?
    Weird and random. But a better concept that most alternate Sue's as it wasn't all about what man she was with in that reality.

I didn't mind it because of how it happened in-story, but I'm tired of alt-Sue's being all about who Marvel can pair her with. That's why I enjoyed the leader of SHIELD Sue in Zdarsky's 2-in-One so much. She wasn't with Reed and instead of throwing her with another male hero they gave her an important position in that Marvel Universe. Give me more alternate realities like that and actually do something interesting with the character.
    A debatably interesting point is the Sueshipping is often with Monarchs (Doom, Namor, Black Bolt, Panther). Now I've gone on about Sue's early days when girls were, well, girls. Over the decades, her powers have increased and been developed. Her personality has been strengthed to where is actually is the leader of the family, if not the team.

My point of discussion is that could Sue's alternate pairings throughout the multiverse be indicative of her overall importance? Bear with me, Sue is a mother figure. Obviously, that's not all she is and not all she should be. But with Sue's maternal instincts, she directs, raises, and teaches. She doesn't rule, she helps others to rule. And yes, I am prepared to be ripped a new one for being chauvinistic here, but it makes sense to me. At least in a character development sense. An event around infinite Sues... Lemme thinks about dis, K?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    A debatably interesting point is the Sueshipping is often with Monarchs (Doom, Namor, Black Bolt, Panther). Now I've gone on about Sue's early days when girls were, well, girls. Over the decades, her powers have increased and been developed. Her personality has been strengthed to where is actually is the leader of the family, if not the team.

My point of discussion is that could Sue's alternate pairings throughout the multiverse be indicative of her overall importance? Bear with me, Sue is a mother figure. Obviously, that's not all she is and not all she should be. But with Sue's maternal instincts, she directs, raises, and teaches. She doesn't rule, she helps others to rule. And yes, I am prepared to be ripped a new one for being chauvinistic here, but it makes sense to me. At least in a character development sense. An event around infinite Sues... Lemme thinks about dis, K?
    I think that it's not about helping others rule, but Sue herself ruling. A king would want a powerful queen at his side, I think it's more than her mothering aspects. Just look at how Namor reacted to Sue during her brief time as leader of Old Atlantis. What all these realities have in common is that she is in a position of power. Even realities that aren't about pairing her with someone else have her in powerful and important roles (ruling the world as Madam Hydra and leading SHIELD). I think a more interesting way to view it is why does leaving Reed lead to Sue being in these positions? Why can't Sue's married to Reed be in similarly powerful positions?
    To me it shows how writers may subconsciously view their marriage if Sue can only be in a powerful position if Reed isn't there. An interesting discussion could be had here.
    Last edited by Crimz; 05-02-2020 at 03:33 AM.

Astonishing Member

Salvador Larocca's Sue Storm was superb.

I think that it's not about helping others rule, but Sue herself ruling. A king would want a powerful queen at his side, I think it's more than her mothering aspects. Just look at how Namor reacted to Sue during her brief time as leader of Old Atlantis. What all these realities have in common is that she is in a position of power. Even realities that aren't about pairing her with someone else have her in powerful and important roles (ruling the world as Madam Hydra and leading SHIELD). I think a more interesting way to view it is why does leaving Reed lead to Sue being in these positions? Why can't Sue's married to Reed be in similarly powerful positions?
    To me it shows how writers may subconsciously view their marriage if Sue can only be in a powerful position if Reed isn't there. An interesting discussion could be had here.
    Looking at Reed through the alternate dimensions, generally (nothing I'm saying is absolute for everything) Reeds without Sues have problems and the Reeds who have a supportive Sue who do considerably better. It's the main reason I maintain Doom picked Sue as a queen on Battleworld during Secret Wars.

Sue is with Reed because she loves him. How much is her subconscious figuring she's keeping him from becoming an evil despot? I think there's some of that in there. She's extremely intelligent and has faced her inner feelings with Malice and Psycho Man. Her self-awareness is easily the greatest of the four. Sue's a helper/mother figure. But she could lead as we've seen in DeFalco's run. The tendency of Sue to be direct in an alpha sense isn't as strong as it is with Johnny or Ben. She HAS been direct and her directness was shown in Waid's mini.

Can Sue be seen to be powerful married to Reed? I think so. It is tough when she's with the team, though.