Page 1043 of 1384 FirstFirst ... 435439439931033103910401041104210431044104510461047105310931143 ... LastLast
Results 15,631 to 15,645 of 20754

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    That's a read I hold dear to my heart but only recommend it cautiously.

Up until the MCU started it felt like this is the closest we will get to a cinematic version of the Avengers.
    And the MCU used a lot of ideas from this run, but in my humble opinion, they've made it work better than Millar did.

Basically his take is quite satirical, edgy and everyone behaves like a celebrity A-hole. If you like Millar's writing you'll probably enjoy it, I think this is one of his better books.
    Also there are a couple of references that are very of their time, so you really need to read it as an early 2000s, pre MCU experiment to create the most "movie-esque" superhero comic possible.
    Hitch on art is superb tho. He continued to deliver the same quality he committed to on The authority.

BTW I've re read it last year and I still had a lot of fun with it and will re read it in the future. It might not be an objectively quality book but it's a lot of fun.
    Agreed with your bolded line above. You can see how Millar's version COULD happen, it's not as bad as "The Boys", but still... but you can also see why Marvel made their movie characters way more likeable. As that equates to bankable. I mean, RDJ plays a kinda egotistical know-it-all jerk Iron Man at times, but you still like him. If he was just an outright jerk all the time, some may still like him, but AVG movie-goers wouldn't.

I'll chime in that the Ultimates has its ups and downs, but for me, some of it is just a little too abrasive. Especially the Hank/Jan dynamic. Maybe I'm just too used to the MCU now. I recall Cap being a class A jerk, too.
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Is Millar/Hitch Ultimates any good? I wasn’t sure if it’d be better collecting it that way or separately (Season 1 and Ultimates 2)
    What Balakin and Rimmer said. Hitch is at his best. I also found the Hank/Jan situation grating. I liked Volume 1 but kind of disliked Volume 2 and even distasteful in parts. I only have the OHC of the former with no inclination of picking up the latter.

Incredible Member

Ultimates is a mixed bag with a lot going for it, especially visually. What's more, it is probably one of the most interesting Marvel books in tone and execution.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Is Millar/Hitch Ultimates any good? I wasn’t sure if it’d be better collecting it that way or separately (Season 1 and Ultimates 2)
    depends on how you closely you hold the classic Avengers characters and if you can tolerate liberties being taken. I love Ultimates because of how much it counters the formula of superhero storytelling, and the character dynamics, but the idea is that everyone is a complete *******, and some beloved 616 characters are straight up villainous in 1610. you will find yourself feeling dubious and even angry over certain decisions made by the characters. I found it to be an interesting take on these classic characters because it made them feel like "real" people dealing with extremely dangerous and difficult situations, and Millar's dialogue enhances that. Ultimates 3 is a very unfortunate follow up that has nothing good from Millar's runs and everything people hated about them.

for the concept of superheroes being in a real world and acting like chumps while facing moral dilemmas, the Authority does a much better job imo. not marvel but Hitch was on it, and Millar had an okay run. Ultimates borrowed a lot from the Authority, such as the cinematic style of storytelling in comics with monumental action scenes and spectacles, and grounded characters who each have their charms and their demons
    Last edited by Elmo; 05-04-2020 at 09:06 PM.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Agreed with everyone else; Millar's stuff is very 00's.

A lot of gay jokes; and the characters are insufferable.

But if you read it as a time capsule of the early 2000's when America was full on 'Murica! F-Yeah! Then I think you will enjoy it - I know I do.

The art is really good and the overall idea is decent and to be frank without Millar's Ultimates we would not have the MCU.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Agreed with everyone else; Millar's stuff is very 00's.

A lot of gay jokes; and the characters are insufferable.

But if you read it as a time capsule of the early 2000's when America was full on 'Murica! F-Yeah! Then I think you will enjoy it - I know I do.

The art is really good and the overall idea is decent and to be frank without Millar's Ultimates we would not have the MCU.
    I really think Millar, as a Scotsman, had a more satirical approach to this rather than a straight forward, Michael Bay military endorsement ( although on the surface it does look like a "What if Michael Bay did the Avengers")

Not to give too much credit to Millar, he can be downright awful and missing the mark by miles sometimes with his edgy writing, but I think at this time he tried to channel Warren Ellis more or less (I wholeheartedly agree with the Authority recommendation above btw).

I really think Millar, as a Scotsman, had a more satirical approach to this rather than a straight forward, Michael Bay military endorsement ( although on the surface it does look like a "What if Michael Bay did the Avengers")

Not to give too much credit to Millar, he can be downright awful and missing the mark by miles sometimes with his edgy writing, but I think at this time he tried to channel Warren Ellis more or less (I wholeheartedly agree with the Authority recommendation above btw).
    I think it can be read as satirical; but the rest of the Ultimate Marvel Universe (save for Ultimate Spidey) had a similar bent.

Nevertheless, The Ultimates were the height of edge-lord comicdom; which is entertaining for the novelty alone

I think it can be read as satirical; but the rest of the Ultimate Marvel Universe (save for Ultimate Spidey) had a similar bent.

Nevertheless, The Ultimates were the height of edge-lord comicdom; which is entertaining for the novelty alone
    Yeah that's fair, although not sure how much of it was intentional. Warren Ellis and Millar probably done it on purpose and the rest (like Kirkman and Loeb) just went in guns blazing and missed the mark just a bit (well...Loeb missed it a lot).

Make Mine Marvel (Mostly) j0nnyboy's Avatar

Is there a reliable website that shows the weekly releases of Marvel omnibus? It's basically a guessing game for me at this point and with dates getting postponed a lot recently where can we go to see what is actually being released week to week?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by j0nnyboy View Post
    Is there a reliable website that shows the weekly releases of Marvel omnibus? It's basically a guessing game for me at this point and with dates getting postponed a lot recently where can we go to see what is actually being released week to week?
    I would suggest checking IST Tuesdays at 3 ET for new releases. They put the swamp thing omni up today but of course it sold out within 30 mins. They’re getting very limited supply. I wish I got the standard cover JMS Spidey Omni Vol 2 but I wanted the variant. Now I might not be able to get either. As you said though, the releases right now are totally random. The schedule has been totally upended. They’re just putting up what they get at this point it seems with no logic as to when certain stuff is coming out.

Quote Originally Posted by j0nnyboy View Post
    I'd presume Previews will soon have reliable release dates for a few weeks ahead now that distribution is due to start up again. But anything longer than that might be still up in the air while publishers and distributors readjust their schedules.

I noticed that Previewsworld doesn't presently show any Marvel omnibuses due for release in 2020 after 8th July - https://previewsworld.com/Search?mod...ate=2020-12-31. Excalibur is no longer listed, nor are the Uncanny X-Men omni reprints, She-Hulk by Dan Slott, or the 2nd Peter David omnibus, just to name a few.

I'd imagine Diamond will relist them once Marvel has figured out a new release schedule.

Yeah that's fair, although not sure how much of it was intentional. Warren Ellis and Millar probably done it on purpose and the rest (like Kirkman and Loeb) just went in guns blazing and missed the mark just a bit (well...Loeb missed it a lot).
    Loeb definitely Loebed it for sure; which is a shame because I love all of his DC works and early Marvel stuff.

I thought Hickman's Ultimates were good even though it ended prematurely as well as some of his mini series like Ultimate Thor and Ultimate Hawkeye.

Loeb definitely Loebed it for sure; which is a shame because I love all of his DC works and early Marvel stuff.

I thought Hickman's Ultimates were good even though it ended prematurely as well as some of his mini series like Ultimate Thor and Ultimate Hawkeye.
    I don't think I've appreciated Hickmanat the time but when I do a reread of his Avengers I'll make sure to revisit his Ultimates at least.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Default Marvel Collected Editions Sales - March 2020

The complete estimated comic book sales figures for March 2020 are available, a little later than usual due to COVID-19 (please note this list only details those comics sold to North American Comics Shops as reported by Diamond). I’ve listed below the Marvel OHC/Omnibus/MMW’s as well as the larger TPB collections such as the Epic and Complete lines that made the list, detailing the position, title and estimated sales. I haven’t included any reentries.

5. History of the Marvel Universe by Mark Waid & Javier Rodriguez Treasury Edition - 2,779
    19. Marvel Comics #1000 OHC - 1,638
    34. Black Widow by Mark Waid & Chris Samnee: The Complete Collection - 1,360
    41. Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender Omnibus (2nd Pinting) - 1,232
    42. Amazing Spider-Man Epic Collection Vol. 1: Great Power (2nd Printing, DM only) - 1,220
    49. Wolverine Epic Collection Vol. 6: Inner Fury - 1,094
    54. The Mighty Thor Epic Collection Vol.6 : Into the Dark Nebula - 1,030
    58. Marvels 25th Anniversary Edition OHC - 1,005
    61. Marvel Masterworks Dazzler Vol. 1 HC - 967
    63. Captain America Epic Collection Vol. 18: Blood and Glory - 944
    78. Star Wars Legends Epic Collection: The Clone Wars Vol. 3 - 800
    94. Black Widow: Marvel Team-Up TPB - 703
    103. X-Men/Avengers: Onslaught Vol. 1 TPB - 625
    109. Captain America By Ta-Nehisi Coates Vol. 1 OHC - 606
    112. X-Men Milestones: Messiah Complex TPB - 590
    116. Power Pack Classic Vol. 1 Omnibus - 574
    147. Fantastic Four: Heroes Return - The Complete Collection Vol. 2 - 484
    150. New Mutants Epic Collection Vol. 1: Renewal (2nd Printing) - 477
    263. X-Men: Children of the Atom HC Box Set - 259
    Last edited by Raffi Ol D'Arcy; 05-06-2020 at 09:10 AM.

BANNED

I don't think I've appreciated Hickmanat the time but when I do a reread of his Avengers I'll make sure to revisit his Ultimates at least.
    Loved Thor in that run. And I loved how Hickman expanded the Maker/Reed Richards, even though I think it was Bendis that made Ultimate Reed a villain in the first place.

Ultimates and Fantastic Four are great Hickman runs and thematically linked to his Avengers/Secret Wars stuff. His Fantastic Four is among some of my favorite Marvel runs.