Spectacular Member

Default Floppy Comic Book Advice?

I currently own 53 floppies and even though I haven't got near enough, I've bought a comic box that can fit in 200 comics. I was wondering how long you have been collecting floppies and how many you have? And would you get rid of any? Even if it's just to make space.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

6000 issues not including any trades, hardcovers etc.

I give away books quite a bit! Usually old Flash issues that I have extra copies of.
    I DID give a friend my copy of Spider-Man #300 (first Venom appearance) amongst others as he was a huge fan. Yeah, I probably shoulda sold it but what the hell.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post

I give away books quite a bit! Usually old Flash issues that I have extra copies of.
    I DID give a friend my copy of Spider-Man #300 (first Venom appearance) amongst others as he was a huge fan. Yeah, I probably shoulda sold it but what the hell.
    HOLY CRAP!!!!! That guy better appreciate the hell out of that!
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post

That's a dude move right there. I tip my hat to you, good sir!

I have no idea how many comics I have. Thousands maybe? And I've given away, sold, or lost just as many over the years.

I've never had the collector mentality, I read comics for the fun of it and don't worry much about their value beyond my entertainment. I do have some valuable comics that I make sure are kept in good order, but after I lost half my collection to water damage years ago, I've stopped caring about the collection as a whole. About every 8-10 years I go through a purge and give away or sell most of my stuff, keeping only the most valuable (or the ones I enjoyed the most).
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

The number of comics I have is like a roller coaster. I started buying comics as a kid off the spinner racks in '73 and started collecting seriously in '85. In the late 90s I had over 10K comics, but gave away about 10-15 longboxes of stuff (mostly runs of 90s Marvel and DC stuff) to children's hospitals, literacy programs, single parents with young kids who worked with my parents, etc. just to make space and get comics in the hands of people who could use/enjoy them. Then from 2000-2002 I sold off a large chunk of my Silver Age Marvel collection via ebay in preparation for a cross-country move to pay for the move and my upcoming wedding. I got down to about 2-3K overall. In 2007 I took a hiatus from comics for 5 years and got rid off even more stuff. In 2012 I started again and by 2017 I was up to close to 9k, and I sold off about a third (and most of my vintage tabletop RPG collection) to make some room and fund some renovations the house needed. Over the last 3 years I have been raiding dollar and bargain bins at shows and cons filling in a handful of runs and such I wanted, grabbing stuff that isn't readily available in trade, etc. and according to my catalog on the GCD, I am back up close to 10K again (plus several hundred trades and comic strip collections). I am sure at some point I will purge stuff I no longer want to have (stuff I read and didn't like or like enough to want to have on hand to reread, stuff I replaced with trade or hc collections, etc.) and bring that number down just as I am likely to find other stuff I want t dive into and start building up the number again.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

I got about 20 long boxes in the cellar. I moved to Digital. Less space, as I am more of a reader than a collector.

I have around 17,000 single issues.
    Four tall book cases full of trades.
    I still have every issue I ever bought or received as a gift.
    Started all of this insanity in 1975.
    I buy very few new issues these days.
    Not much interest me these days.
    I'm mostly trying to fill in back issues I have missed.
    I never got into the digital versions.
    I like to hold the books in my hands.