Page 79 of 103 FirstFirst ... 296975767778798081828389 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,185 of 1538
    BANNED

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    I'm writing him as his Bronze Age personality with bits of how Van Jenson wrote him.
    I co-sign this....and bring his wife back.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I co-sign this....and bring his wife back.
    Yep this too. No one got as close to John but Katma. They bounced off each other well.

I had to fix the eyes, let my man have his green eyes! consistency people.

also

these are so simple yet spectacular looking to me
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Jorge Jimenez is a really good artist. I'm thinking about putting him in the top 3 artists who I would love to see draw John in a solo.

So John still has a tattoo ring it seems. And we still don't have no answers. It's been like what, close to a year already since John first mentioned about having a tattoo ring? I'm starting to run out of patience!

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    Ugh x____x
    When John Stewart took on Generic Black Man Look #3 (bald head with goatee), is when I stopped liking that show. Not entirely because of that factor, but it was certainly a contributor.
    I think the JLU show loses focus on the main leaguers like John Stewart, since there's too many characters that has been added in there. This is no different than what Scott Snyder is doing currently in Justice League.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    I think the JLU show loses focus on the main leaguers like John Stewart, since there's too many characters that has been added in there. This is no different than what Scott Snyder is doing currently in Justice League.
    Oh, I can say a lot about why I don't really like JLU, or John Stewart in it, and since I haven't too much better to do at the moment (I actually do, as I'm literally in the middle of producing a Youtube video)...

First of all, what you said is true. There were some great break out characters like Question, but I feel characters I liked previously would sometimes get lost in the mix (like Wally West, though I know Rosenbaum had some other engagements, but still...), in favor of characters like Green Arrow. Speaking specifically to John Stewart, since this is his thread...

Instead of being an interesting multifaceted character like he was on Justice League (see Metamorphosis, Legends, and Hearts and Minds for examples), John Stewart became a one note "woe is me" sad sack whose whole story revolved around his ex-girlfriend. No longer was he multifaceted. The only other thing he kind of did was mentor Supergirl...which is okay I guess.

I think the people who really like John Stewart's relationship with Vixen primarily do so because it presented a "black power couple," and not necessarily because it was any good. A black power couple is fine and dandy, though it's ironically shallow in this particular instance, because John Stewart clearly was still in love with Hawkgirl (that was his story) and Vixen was just an ancillary part of John Stewart and Hawkgirl's story. So you have John Stewart pining for a white woman (we'll just call Hawkgirl that) while he is officially with a black woman. That destroys the whole "black power couple" purpose as I see it. I have discussed with some who choose to be blind to that story point because it interrupts their fantasy, but that is the actual story.

Vixen and John Stewart had scenes being together, but we didn't see much of their romance unfold. It was just kind of plopped on us, so it's difficult for me to be invested in, and I don't think the viewers were supposed to be after two seasons of building up John with Hawkgirl. For a more "genuine" black romance in DC animation for people specifically interested in that, I think Static and Daisy is a better portrayal. Static was no longer pining for Frieda while he was with Daisy. Speaking of all of this...

After all of that, John Stewart and Hawkgirl's story had a pathetic non-conclusion. It isn't wrapped up, but we're shown they have a child in the future, so it is. Just off camera. A cop out.

I didn't like his look, though I concede that's completely subjective preference.

There are plenty of other things about the show I don't like in comparison to the earlier iteration, but I don't want to go too far off on a tangent. I don't think the show is necessarily bad, but I realize that after my last re-watch of it, I don't have any desire to see it again, and I don't think that will change much in the future.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 09-04-2019 at 11:42 PM.

BANNED

O____________________O

I was reading Green Lantern: Mosaic #1 just now, and it's amazing how nobody noticed this. But nutburger Gerard Jones closes out the issue by not so subtly turning John Stewart into a pedophile. He is sexually admired by two little girls and then leaves to engage in sex acts with them, referring to it as "distractions" from his duty as Green Lantern of Oa. I'm pretty sure this isn't any kind of coincidence and is clearly what it appears to be. Really interesting how obvious it is yet nobody saw it :T

Last edited by Vampire Savior; 09-05-2019 at 08:45 AM.

The fact that this actually made it to print says something both for the author and editorial.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

All the more reason why we need more content with this character besides team books. Mosaic can't and shouldn't be the only run pointed to.

O____________________O

I was reading Green Lantern: Mosaic #1 just now, and it's amazing how nobody noticed this. But nutburger Gerard Jones closes out the issue by not so subtly turning John Stewart into a pedophile. He is sexually admired by two little girls and then leaves to engage in sex acts with them, referring to it as "distractions" from his duty as Green Lantern of Oa. I'm pretty sure this isn't any kind of coincidence and is clearly what it appears to be. Really interesting how obvious it is yet nobody saw it :T

...Kind of surprised this only came up now.

BANNED

Thanks for the edit, Lem! Agreed that John looks much better with the green eyes. Don't see how they're so often forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Timm (courtesy of Justice League: Justice on Trial DVD) View Post
    John Stewart was the one Green Lantern in the comic book continuity who never, ever wore a mask […] most of the Green Lanterns wore a little domino mask. So, he was the first Green Lantern to say, ‘No, forget it, I’m not wearing a mask. You know, I’m not ashamed to be a Green Lantern; I’m not ashamed of being John Stewart,' so we thought that was a really important part of the John Stewart version of Green Lantern. But, just purely for visual sake, we thought we needed to give him some kind of visual gimmick for his close-ups, so we came up with the idea that he’s been a Green Lantern for so long that the energy of the Green Lantern has kind of infused his entire being, so that it’s even in his bloodstream and it glows out of his eyes and it certainly makes an interesting visual.

O____________________O

This makes me want to throw away all of my copies.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I had to fix the eyes, let my man have his green eyes! consistency people.

these are so simple yet spectacular looking to me
    There you go. Such a simple feature often forgotten, despite the look coming from his most popular iteration. Looks much better.

lemme preface this by saying, I whole-heartedly agree that, despite any artistic merit to the series, it is problematic that John's only notable solo outing is written by a convicted pedophile and DC should look to release more note-worthy John-centric stories to remedy that. HOWEVER, before we get up in arms about this perceived pedophilia insert, context is necessary here. These are the glad girls, we see them earlier in that issue, they are alien creatures that "play" by murdering John (which he allows) on an apparently regular basis.

Now given the writer and the phasing, I wouldn't put it past him to have intentionally coded their phasing sexually but as far as John is concerned, no he is not a pedophile. It's been a minute since I tried to read Mosaic, so maybe there are some other questionable things somewhere else in the series but this particular instance isn't pedophilic; in story on John's part anyway.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."