Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

well if they want to keep the "Norse Gods" white as the driven snow, they should stick to their guns and not add any diversity (there wasn't much of any in the original comic). i'd, genuinely, be interested in seeing how Thor would have done (sales-wise); without the kerfuffle of Idris Elba being in it. and they should only cast Scandinavian-looking people. no Zachary Levi. Hogun's enough, right? but he shouldn't look outwardly Asian; since he didn't look that way when Simonson was on the title.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    No, we are talking about the same thing. You are trying to say that the Asgardians are all diverse, they are not. Hogun are BRB are pretty much the only folks that are not Asgardians living in Asgard. Both because they are the last of their people.
    I'm not saying that Asgard is a thoroughly integrated society. But they are far from homogenous. Heck, two of Odin's sons are "bi-racial", when you think about it. I get that Marvel writers over the years have presented one image of Asgardians, and we've accepted and promulgated that perception because very few writers had the balls or cared to show something other than that image. Just because it went unchallenged doesn't mean that it is the complete picture. Give it time. I'm betting some writer will do just that.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Agreed. Tessa's Valkyrie character should be a new, unique character in the comics universe. I'm sick of these false attempts at true diversity.

BANNED

I'd hoped to see Sif. Especially as a romantic interest for Thor.

A big fat YES to this.
    Pull list:

Marvel Comics: X-Men, Marauders, Excalibur, New Mutants, X-Force, Fallen Angels and Immortal Hulk

"Humans of the planet Earth. While you slept, the world changed." -Professor X

Valkyrie in the movie wasnt Brunhilde. She was an unnamed Valkyrie and in the flashback it shows a blond warrior die by sacrificing herself to protect Tessa. My guess is that was in fact Brunhilde.
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drakeon View Post
    Valkyrie in the movie wasnt Brunhilde. She was an unnamed Valkyrie and in the flashback it shows a blond warrior die by sacrificing herself to protect Tessa. My guess is that was in fact Brunhilde.
    Agreed. I actually pointed this out a couple of pages back.

Oh yes, it seems that Brunnhilde was basically Thor: Ragnarok's Valkyrie lover. But by now, I'm team Tessa Valkyrie all the way. Just bring her to Marvel Comics ASAP, hopefully Craig Kyle and Christopher Yost would be interested on introducing her to Marvel Comics via a mini in the future.

Yost and Kyle are the gifts that keep on giving, aren't they? X-23 and now this new Valkyrie. God damn, she is amazing.
    Last edited by ijacksparrow; 11-07-2017 at 11:06 PM.
    Pull list:

Marvel Comics: X-Men, Marauders, Excalibur, New Mutants, X-Force, Fallen Angels and Immortal Hulk

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

White actors/actresses played Egyptian gods. So what if people of color populate Marvel's cinematic take on Norse mythology? You want to line up the proper melanin with the proper mythos in the films? Fine. Just make a decent film to watch.

Movie Valkyrie is my favorite MCU character so far. Thoroughly enjoyed the charm Thompson exuded. Would love to see this irreverent character in the comics.

Fantastic Member Chainsaw Vigilante's Avatar

They are viking gods, they are supposed to look like their worshipers. That'd be as dumb as a pale red headed Wakandan god.

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw Vigilante View Post
    They are viking gods, they are supposed to look like their worshipers. That'd be as dumb as a pale red headed Wakandan god.
    That's non-sense. Marvel Norse mythology is VERY different than Norse mythology proper. And that's a pretty amazing thing. So yeah, I'm glad to see people that "can't accept that" on "notmahasgard". Screw them.
    Pull list:

Fantastic Member Chainsaw Vigilante's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Old School Ollie 1962 View Post
    White actors/actresses played Egyptian gods. So what if people of color populate Marvel's cinematic take on Norse mythology? You want to line up the proper melanin with the proper mythos in the films? Fine. Just make a decent film to watch.
    Egyptians were (and are) caucasians/caucasoids (a group that spans not just northern, central and western Europe, but eastern Europeans, Spain, Portugal, southern Italy the Caucasus mountain area including Iran, Turkey, Daghestan, Georgia, and Armenia, north Africa, the middle east, central Asia, India save for possibly Dravidans, the Balkans, etc., so far more diverse than just saying white people) some pharaoh lineages like that of Tutankhamun and Akhenaten had red hair and blood similar to Celts. Some Berbers (North African aboriginals that predate the Arab Muslim migration there but have since mostly intermixed) have blond and red hair and blue, grey, and green eyes. Not really as far off in having some Brits play Egyptians as having someone of mostly sub-Saharan African descent play a viking god.
    That being said the Marvel cinematic universe has already established their Norse gods as just aliens and not as connected with the Scandinavian peoples as the comic book versions; so while having a black Valkyrie there still is odd, it's not as odd as making the comic book version (an already well established character with a ton of history and a definitive connection to the Scandinavians that worshiped her) black.

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    Hah. Don't play that. You don't know if it's different until afterwards.

And...people are people. Not that different from then until now.
    How would changing the entire physical appearance of a character and possibly replacing them outright not indicate a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    I AM a fan. YOU should see it from a fan's perspective. If it works, it works.
    I've been a fan of characters who have been changed and replaced because of catering to movie synergy. I already know it doesn't.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Astonishing Member

I say keep Brunhilde the way she is and add The new Valkyrie to the comic universe. A fun thing about Scrapper is that she has such a rich history not only as a valkyrie but as a Space adventurer/ Bounty hunter. That was never part of Brunhilde's history before.