Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Dan Jurgens says he did not enjoy working on Sensational Spider-Man.

His reason though is that he when he accepted the gig he did not know he was writing Ben Reilly and not Peter Parker and he hated Ben and as such he thought he never got to write the "real" Spider-Man.

Of course that's all stuff he's said in hindsight. The impression everyone else has is that he liked it fine enough at the time and I know I'm not alone in thinking he did some great work with Ben and his world. It's strange he didn't stick around as Peter's return to the role was only a handful of months after he left and certainly everything was being being positioned for the character to be Spider-Man again. If he felt so strongly that he wanted to write Peter in the role you'd have thought he would have stuck it out, certainly Marvel wanted him to.
    Last edited by Orbus; 12-05-2018 at 04:39 PM.

i wonder how much of the daily grind was jurgen’s creation? who came up with the blonde hair?
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    You included Roger Stern and David Michelinie in this comment.
    I don't think David Michelinie is against the marriage. He wrote a really good relationship between Peter and MJ in his ASM run.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    Itīs not like there have been a consensus that Roger Stern have always been one of the best writers of Spider-Man (Personally speaking is my second best Spider-Man writer) and itīs not like he did not wrote some of what are still called the best Spider-Man stories ever as the Kid who collects Spider-Man or Nothing can stop the Juggernaut.Noope.The reason to read Roger Stern is essentially for the Hobgoblin story.
    I like Uncle Rog and my opinion that he is wrong about the marriage shouldn't be construed as me saying he's a horrible writer. But I really do think Roderick Kingsley is his crowning achievement.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Unscheduled Stop was one of the best Spider-Man stories in years.Just a great story all around.Be it story wise or art wise.And Mark Waid was one of the web heads (The team of writers during BND in Amazing Spider-Man)
    So beats me where this opinion that Mark Waid does not care for Spider-Man comes from!

So anybody that prefers Peter Parker with Felicia,Betty Brant,Gwen or any other of the several romantic interest that Peter Parker had is wrong,because there is only one "right" answer to this.
    Yeah,that just does not make sense.People can prefer any romantic interest that had been developed in the stories without being "wrong".

Itīs not like there have been a consensus that Roger Stern have always been one of the best writers of Spider-Man (Personally speaking is my second best Spider-Man writer) and itīs not like he did not wrote some of what are still called the best Spider-Man stories ever as the Kid who collects Spider-Man or Nothing can stop the Juggernaut.Noope.The reason to read Roger Stern is essentially for the Hobgoblin story.
    You're actually right on that. I should have put, "I disagree with that, but then they have every right to their belief in who the best love interest for Peter is in a free society." I apologize for my presumptuousness.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Deonicles View Post
    I don't think David Michelinie is against the marriage. He wrote a really good relationship between Peter and MJ in his ASM run.
    Spider-Man Crawlspace interviewed him, and there is a question about the marriage that has David answering with "That's not Spider-Man".
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    I liked Stern's Hobgoblin way better than his Spider-Man. The reason to read Stern is essentially for the Hobgoblin story.
    That's an interesting take, one I don't think I've ever heard.

I think Stern had a great feel for Peter Parker and Spider-Man. As good as any that have ever written the character.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

I don't think many creators would really admit having a disdain for Spider-Man.

Astonishing Member

I like Uncle Rog and my opinion that he is wrong about the marriage shouldn't be construed as me saying he's a horrible writer. But I really do think Roderick Kingsley is his crowning achievement.
    The Hobgoblin Saga is to me one of my favorite Roger Stern story as well.But to me Roger Stern had several more great stories that just the Roderick Kingsley story.Nothing can stop the Juggernaut is a story that i would say can be one of the best Spider-Man stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    You're actually right on that. I should have put, "I disagree with that, but then they have every right to their belief in who the best love interest for Peter is in a free society." I apologize for my presumptuousness.
    No need to apologize.
    The first Spider-Man comics i read the love interest was Betty Brant and when i started to read the more current stories back then the love interest was Felicia.Twenty issues ago in Amazing Spider-Man Bobbi Morse was Spider-Man love interest.Thus why i donīt agree that only Mary Jane is the right person to be the love interest in the Spider-Man stories.

No need to apologize.
    The first Spider-Man comics i read the love interest was Betty Brant and when i started to read the more current stories back then the love interest was Felicia.Twenty issues ago in Amazing Spider-Man Bobbi Morse was Spider-Man love interest.Thus why i donīt agree that only Mary Jane is the right person to be the love interest in the Spider-Man stories.
    I think they pushed too hard against Mary Jane for too long. I can see why some people get especially ornery on the subject. (You can ship whoever you want.)

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    That's an interesting take, one I don't think I've ever heard.

I think Stern had a great feel for Peter Parker and Spider-Man. As good as any that have ever written the character.
    To me, his Peter Parker/Spider-Man was pretty good and certainly not bad. What do you feel he had to say about Peter Parker, what was his arc for Spider-Man's development?

Just as a side note, I really liked Monica Rambeau too. She first appeared in a Spider-man book.

The Hobgoblin Saga is to me one of my favorite Roger Stern story as well.But to me Roger Stern had several more great stories that just the Roderick Kingsley story.Nothing can stop the Juggernaut is a story that i would say can be one of the best Spider-Man stories.
    Kid Who Collected Spider-Man was great, but I have to admit to not being a huge fan of the Juggernaut story. So thats part of it for me.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 12-06-2018 at 12:25 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Mark Waid doesn't seem to care about Spidey all that much.
    Really? He's talked about Amazing Spider-Man #100 being one of the comics that influenced him the most.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

Any writer who doesn't like the marriage to MJ. Why wouldn't you want Spidey to be happy?
    Christ on a bike. What does this have to do with the topic at hand? Why does every thread have to go like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Christ on a bike. What does this have to do with the topic at hand? Why does every thread have to go like this?
    The idea that a character's happiness is a sign a writer likes him is also a bit fishy.

I like what Bendis had to say about what he put Daredevil through.
    I get this all the time. They say, “You really hate Daredevil. Look how mean you are to Daredevil.” I’m like, “Would you really buy a book about him enjoying a sandwich? ‘What a great sandwich. I’m going to eat this for 22 pages, and I’m going to be so happy.'” I may do it just to prove a point. Have Wolverine going, “This is the best bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich I’ve ever had in my life!”
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    The idea that a character's happiness is a sign a writer likes him is also a bit fishy.

I like what Bendis had to say about what he put Daredevil through.
    Go check out some fanfic. Sadly, it is what more than a few fans want. Entire runs that are the X-Men playing baseball.