Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    claremont told me that if storm puts on glasses she can see god at work

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    Lastly, though there are similarities Polaris' power is different from Ororo. Where Polaris can perceive the world around her as patterns of electromagnetic energy, Ororo sees the natural world as patterns of energies and forces. That means the means the energies that she can see not only includes EM energies (electrical and magnetic) but also other forms of forces/energies, such as thermal, radiation, pressure gradients, etc. Thus, Ororo's perception goes way beyond what Polaris can see.
    Okay, and this is where I have a huge problem.

Storm having powers that are similar but different is one thing. Storm being all godmode where suddenly she's inherently "better" than Lorna (or any character really, but I specifically care about Lorna) in every possible way is not. I don't care if certain writers wrote her that way. Any message they sent that says Lorna is inherently inferior to her is wrong. Same as it would be wrong for a writer to make Storm inherently inferior to Lorna.

Let's talk about psychic powers. I've talked many times elsewhere about how, based on the science of how electromagnetism works, Lorna could theoretically have pseudo-psychic powers. The brain has electromagnetic waves. From rudimentary real world experiments, memory can be influenced, messages can be sent and received, a person's mental state and emotions can be radically changed, their perception can be twisted, all through the electromagnetic field of a person's brain.

I'd like to see Lorna explore such pseudo-psychic uses, but I keep one detail in mind: they should be low-level, possibly even with some additional limitations to boot. Lorna's primary power set is electromagnetic manipulation. If she's suddenly doing all her stuff plus everything a psychic can do, then that's insulting for full-fledged psychic characters for whom those abilities are their main jam. The intent is not to make Polaris "better" than everyone else, it's to see her potential utilized in a way that's also fair to all the other characters out there. If Lorna asks a psychic how they know someone was murdered in an alley, and the psychic says "I can pick up their last moments," I'm not going to point to New X-Men #132 (where Lorna stored and played back the last moments of Genosha's millions dead) and say Lorna didn't need a psychic cause she can do it all herself. Lorna may be capable of doing such things to a weaker extent when needed (e.g. what happened on Genosha took a massive mental toll on her that a psychic likely would not experience), but she's not the expert. Nor should she be.

Which brings me to the part I skipped last time.

I'm aware that Claremont was really hopped up on Storm. If I'm looking exclusively at Storm - not considering any other characters, considering the cultural and social context of the times - then how heavily Claremont focused on her is objectively a good thing. She's perhaps the most famous character of color in comic books, and has provided meaningful representation for decades where comics have been written with an eye essentially for white men. This is how I went from at one time complaining that she got a third solo volume while other characters got no solo at all, to supporting Storm having a solo regularly. The cultural significance and need for representation.

But that's looking just at Storm by herself. The picture changes when I look at how Lorna was treated at the same time. Claremont pretty blatantly saw Lorna as "competition." He wanted to build Storm up, find ways to make her appear more powerful, and his process included making Lorna look bad and tearing her down. While Storm's out there being written as able to do everything Lorna can do but better, Lorna's getting "remade" by having her actual powers stolen from her and then replaced with generic ones that don't overlap with Storm's. While Storm's leading an X-Men team, Lorna's playing Stepford wife to Havok in some dishes-cleaning civilian life. While Storm's facing danger head-on, Lorna's suddenly terrified by Sabretooth's growls and crying for Havok to save her.

There's establishing a character and making the most of what they have. Then there's undermining other characters in service to artificially making one's fave look better. That's what Claremont did to Lorna. He wanted to make Storm the queen, and his idea of how to do that in Lorna's case was to ruin her reputation and take away her powers so Storm could take everything she had and stand "unopposed."

Storm should be interesting and viable enough in her own right to not need this kind of behavior. She should be celebrated because people love her personality, her history, and what she's capable of herself. She shouldn't need to take things away from other characters to build her up. A good writer can make her look powerful and cool without making another woman near her look weak, pathetic or worthless.
    Last edited by salarta; 12-08-2018 at 06:36 PM.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

BANNED

1. I havent seen anything from canon that would indicate she sees EM differently than Ororo, especially not from this issue of Uncanny. She said every person disturbs the em as they move through it, magneto would just disturb it on a larger scale. So considering she can sense specific signatures thats not how she described it in uncanny.

2. the scan with vindicator stated she was following his energy trail, which is what his suit generated. also read the scan again from uncanny it doesnt say she sensed his em. it says she saw the tidal wave as he moved through it. that's completely different.
    1. I haven't seen anything to suggest they see it the same, this issue of Uncanny included. That the "tiny ripples on the surface of a pond" are unique, is implied, as is Magneto's "tidal wave."

2. Right, but just E.M. energy in general. The distinction is what the energy is, not who it belongs to.

Also: How many others possess the E.M. presence of her father? And of them, if any, how would Polaris conclude it was his?
    Last edited by Heroine Addict; 12-08-2018 at 06:50 PM.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post

Storm having powers that are similar but different is one thing. Storm being all godmode where suddenly she's inherently "better" than Lorna (or any character really, but I specifically care about Lorna) in every possible way is not. I don't care if certain writers wrote her that way. Any message they sent that says Lorna is inherently inferior to her is wrong. Same as it would be wrong for a writer to make Storm inherently inferior to Lorna.

Let's talk about psychic powers. I've talked many times elsewhere about how, based on the science of how electromagnetism works, Lorna could theoretically have pseudo-psychic powers. The brain has electromagnetic waves. From rudimentary real world experiments, memory can be influenced, messages can be sent and received, a person's mental state and emotions can be radically changed, their perception can be twisted, all through the electromagnetic field of a person's brain.

I'd like to see Lorna explore such pseudo-psychic uses, but I keep one detail in mind: they should be low-level, possibly even with some additional limitations to boot. Lorna's primary power set is electromagnetic manipulation. If she's suddenly doing all her stuff plus everything a psychic can do, then that's insulting for full-fledged psychic characters for whom those abilities are their main jam. The intent is not to make Polaris "better" than everyone else, it's to see her potential utilized in a way that's also fair to all the other characters out there. If Lorna asks a psychic how they know someone was murdered in an alley, and the psychic says "I can pick up their last moments," I'm not going to point to New X-Men #132 (where Lorna stored and played back the last moments of Genosha's millions dead) and say Lorna didn't need a psychic cause she can do it all herself. Lorna may be capable of doing such things to a weaker extent when needed (e.g. what happened on Genosha took a massive mental toll on her that a psychic likely would not experience), but she's not the expert. Nor should she be.

I'm aware that Claremont was really hopped up on Storm. If I'm looking exclusively at Storm - not considering any other characters, considering the cultural and social context of the times - then how heavily Claremont focused on her is objectively a good thing. She's perhaps the most famous character of color in comic books, and has provided meaningful representation for decades where comics have been written with an eye essentially for white men. This is how I went from at one time complaining that she got a third solo volume while other characters got no solo at all, to supporting Storm having a solo regularly. The cultural significance and need for representation.

But that's looking just at Storm by herself. The picture changes when I look at how Lorna was treated at the same time. Claremont pretty blatantly saw Lorna as "competition." He wanted to build Storm up, find ways to make her appear more powerful, and his process included making Lorna look bad and tearing her down. While Storm's out there being written as able to do everything Lorna can do but better, Lorna's getting "remade" by having her actual powers stolen from her and then replaced with generic ones that don't overlap with Storm's. While Storm's leading an X-Men team, Lorna's playing Stepford wife to Havok in some dishes-cleaning civilian life. While Storm's facing danger head-on, Lorna's suddenly terrified by Sabretooth's growls and crying for Havok to save her.

There's establishing a character and making the most of what they have. Then there's undermining other characters in service to artificially making one's fave look better. That's what Claremont did to Lorna. He wanted to make Storm the queen, and his idea of how to do that in Lorna's case was to ruin her reputation and take away her powers so Storm could take everything she had and stand "unopposed."

Storm should be interesting and viable enough in her own right to not need this kind of behavior. She should be celebrated because people love her personality, her history, and what she's capable of herself. She shouldn't need to take things away from other characters to build her up. A good writer can make her look powerful and cool without making another woman near her look weak, pathetic or worthless.
    This post is beautiful. That's all I want to say.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

BANNED

Stop trying to make Mister Sinister seem cool. It's impossible.
    He was cool in Gillen’s run.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    He was awesome in AOA.

'Tis true.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

He was very cool in Gillen's run. Sinister London was my everything. A dystopic steampunk city of nightmare science fueled by the blood of a God, and populated by a man entirely in love with himself. People who haven't read that UXM run don't understand what they missed out on. Sinister London was the single greatest redemption of a trash character since Grant Morrison put his pen to Animal Man.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    I am 99% sure Jean in that same comic calls Thunderbird III (Neal Sahara or something like that) "the only xmen completely immune to radiation" with pretty much those words, that is why he was in that comic, which ended up being a bit weird, because it's a classic issue and that failed character managed to be in it.
    No you are right. Jean wasn't referring to Ororo; however, writers are not consistent when it comes to her immunity to the elements. Chris Claremont state in the earlier issues of Uncanny and even much later during the Arena saga that Ororo is very much immune to the elements.

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post

My friend. I know Polaris is your favorite and I meant no disrespect to your fave in my characterization of their powers. It's kinda like Polaris can speak French, while Ororo can speak French (not as fluently as Polaris) as well as English, Spanish, Portuguese, Cantonese, Swahili, etc. The truth of the matter is that Polaris is highly specialized in one form of energy which is electromagnetic energy. Ororo's powers includes all forms of energy/forces including electromagnetic energy.

I see no problem with any of this and think that would be kinda neat to see creative uses of a character's power especially when it is within their powerset to do so.

I agree with this 100%. It is why what the Xoffices has done with her since her marriage was annulled has been unfortunate and disappointing. But this was perfectly said.

Let me just say that I am never for a character being written down to prop up another character. I think Ororo has been the character who has been on the receiving end of this for YEARS now. So I won't argue against your points as I thought the part of her becoming super strong was kinda weird but I never thought it was to make Ororo look better honestly. Because again it was Jean who became the big powerful X-lady followed by Rachel when she had Phoenix. In fact a good part of Claremont's run with Ororo was when her power was stripped from her to show just how human she is.

I totally agree but it has been so long since she was respectfully shown to the degree of claremont that the things you mentioned that was done to Polaris has been the thing that has continually happened to Ororo. Again, I never said Polaris shouldn't have said what she said. My initial reaction to the panel was that I thought Ororo was asking her the question which would have completely ignored the fact that Ororo has energy sight and would be able to perceive energy patterns (EM) as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    1. I haven't seen anything to suggest they see it the same, this issue of Uncanny included. That the "tiny ripples on the surface of a pond" are unique, is implied, as is Magneto's "tidal wave."

2. Right, but just E.M. energy in general. The distinction is what the energy is, not who it belongs to.

Also: How many others possess the E.M. presence of her father? And of them, if any, how would Polaris conclude it was his?
    The way Claremont described both their ability to perceive their powers were exactly the same. Polaris was just specific to em energy. I posted the scans on the previous page.
    To this issue of uncanny, Polaris made it clear that when people move it disrupts the EM in the form of tiny ripples. The fact that Magneto can manipulate said energy would mean that any moves he makes would be on an exponentially larger scale.

And I agree with your second point about the distinction between EM energy. However, again any amount of EM that magneto would displace Ororo would be able to see this. Maybe Sienna Blaze, or powerful reality warpers. Not sure how she would be able to know the difference though because I don't believe her explanation she gave in Uncanny would cover that.
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 12-09-2018 at 02:21 AM.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Therefore, even if by chance she didn't know it was magneto (which if the energy ripples were as massive as Polaris described and as many times as Ororo has fought Magneto I don't think she would have been oblivious to this based upon this) she still shouldn't have had to go to that level of detail with Ororo.
    One of them fought Magneto a couple times in the past and the other trained and lived with Magneto for years.

She's not talented at what exactly? Ororo perceives energy patterns; that is a part of her powerset and has been stated as such plenty of times throughout canon. Any magnetic field that he could manipulate she would most certainly sense and/or see it. And the fact that James Hudson is a scrub in terms of the electromagnetic energy he can manipulate in comparison to Magneto is why Ororo's ability to find him when he was already long gone is even more impressive.
    We both know how many times Magneto has gotten the drop on x-teams in fights when Storm was present. If she was as good or better then Lorna at detecting him why did that happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Anyone who thinks Storm has a better understanding or feel of magnetism than Polaris doesn't know what they are talking about.
    Agreed.

One of them fought Magneto a couple times in the past and the other trained and lived with Magneto for years.
    Last edited by jmc247; 12-10-2018 at 10:18 AM.

Why cant Storm fans let Polaris have her moment? She only had ONE line of meaningful dialogue and a first in a major event this past decade and ya'll want to take that from her. I cant

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Not only that but Lorna was JUST living and training with Magneto up until a couple of months ago. Storm hasnt been around in for any significant amount of time since Gillen's run. Polaris is better equipped to have a feel for Magneto's current EM signature as he is today than Storm
    Last edited by Havok83; 12-09-2018 at 02:03 PM.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    Contextually speaking, whenever someone performs that feat, they're either using cerebro, powered up by the phoenix force, or overclocking themselves to the point of death. It's never done easily or effortlessly, which is why Nate's performance frightened everyone. He did it like it was nothing. (Of course if he can easily connect all minds on the planet, it's strange that he didn't realize the X-men were still alive.)

Aaaaaanyway, this is obviously Strife, so it's a moot point. The MLF was a dead giveaway. He's brain-jacked Nate and combined their powers for the boost.

Not exactly, Jean, Emma, Betsy, Rachel, Cable, Nate, and especially Xavier himself all have feats of projecting, reading, or probing the planet all without much strain. Nor the use of an external power source or the task being viewed as something impossible.

Xavier, specifically has scanned several planets unaided and in many cases at a moments notice.

As a child he was already reading the minds of everyone on Earth:

And the number of cosmic entities he's battled is quite extensive using only his telepathy. I honestly think this issue hyped it up WAY too much given the X-men's collective histories!

I also contribute the idea that X-telepaths require Cerebro for larger tasks are a product more of the films than their actual performances.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post

i don't understand how any of this would impact Ororo's ability to see displaced EM fields by way of people or Magneto moving through them.

We both know how many times Magneto has gotten the drop on x-teams in fights when Storm was present. If she was as good or better then Lorna at detecting him why did that happen?
    I can actually think of approximately five encounters where Storm was present when she fought Magneto.

1. Their first encounter he beat them but they were a newly formed team.
    2. The second time Ororo nearly beat him but held back which magneto acknowledged but then he got the jump on her and the xmen. This was then followed by the xmen actually beating him in part due to Ororo dehydrated him with over-saturating the air.
    3. There was a third time when she was powerless she could have killed him but froze and he struck her with a magnetic blast. She would return where she almost suffocated him to the point in which he lost with a vacuum created with a tornado. That ended with him regretting as he thought he had killed a young shadowcat.
    4. The other times I recall the two fought each other were stalemates.

So the time only real time he got the drop on the Xmen with Storm was when they were still a young team.

As far as Polaris detecting him, she has gotten the drop on her by Kroaka, a robot version of a young Magik, or the time she was taken out by Eric the Red. She wasn't able to even sense the latter two had guns on their person so it's a thing that writers do for the sake of the story. I don't agree with this but it happens to even the strongest of characters.

By arguing Storm should have been able to find Magneto from afar using EM signature as well as Lorna one is saying Storm should be at very least as proficient in the same area.

The topic at hand really boils down to who should be able to find the Master of Magnetism most effectively and efficiently... Storm or the Mistress of Magnetism? Storm differed to Lorna's judgement on the matter though a number seem to think she shouldn't have because Storm fought Magneto a few times vs lived with him, trained with him and has the same power set as him.
    i think people are now just debating for the sake of it. I never said ororo should be able to find magneto over Polaris, please link the post where I made such a claim. I said that Polaris shouldn't have had to go into that detailed explanation with Ororo because her energy sight would have allowed her to see the things Polaris described. This was pointed out as incorrect because she was facing Nightcrawler when she made the statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Why cant Storm fans let Polaris have her moment? She only had ONE line of meaningful dialogue and a first in a major event this past decade and ya'll want to take that from her. I cant

Not only that but Lorna was JUST living and training with Magneto up until a couple of months ago. Storm hasnt been around in for any significant amount of time since Gillen's run. Polaris is better equipped to have a feel for Magneto's current EM signature as he is today than Storm
    Seeing as though I am the main Storm fan making points about that scan I'm going to assume this is addressing my posts here. As such, why can't non-Storm fans actually read what was said about polaris' ONE meaningful dialogue and not conclude that actual Storm fans are trying to take her moment away from her? No Storm fan, including myself, ever had an issue with what was being said by her. (please quote where I or any other storm fan said what you are claiming). The ONLY issue was that it appeared the statement was directed towards Ororo though her energy sight would allow her to see the described phenomena as well. Seeing as though Polaris was talking to Nightcrawler there were no issues after that was explained, so did you catch that part before you came for Storm fans? Nevertheless, I just don't see why some are in favor of other characters' abilities being downplayed so long as their faves get a moment.
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 12-09-2018 at 09:01 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    This post is beautiful. That's all I want to say.
    Thanks, though I hate any time I feel like I need to make a post like that. I feel bad afterward, but it's a feeling I know I have to put up with any time it's something I really need to say.

My friend. I know Polaris is your favorite and I meant no disrespect to your fave in my characterization of their powers. It's kinda like Polaris can speak French, while Ororo can speak French (not as fluently as Polaris) as well as English, Spanish, Portuguese, Cantonese, Swahili, etc. The truth of the matter is that Polaris is highly specialized in one form of energy which is electromagnetic energy. Ororo's powers includes all forms of energy/forces including electromagnetic energy.
    It's come across to me as basically "Storm can do aaaaaaaaall these different things because she had a writer that wrote her with intent to make her the star, so Storm can do anything involving energy and doesn't need anyone else unless it's something incredibly rare and obscure." I'm fine with Storm being like the red mage of the X-Men, but there has to be a trade-off. A jack-of-all-trades is able to do many different things because they've trained for versatility, not expertise. I find something very wrong with a premise that essentially becomes "We shouldn't hire an expert in French except in the absolute rarest of circumstances, we have someone with passable French that'll do just fine."

Elsewhere, I saw people complaining about how writers had Storm using lightning on Magneto when she should be using other types of attacks because lightning is in Magneto's wheelhouse. This is basically the same thing. This is part of Lorna's wheelhouse.

Let me just say that I am never for a character being written down to prop up another character. I think Ororo has been the character who has been on the receiving end of this for YEARS now. So I won't argue against your points as I thought the part of her becoming super strong was kinda weird but I never thought it was to make Ororo look better honestly. Because again it was Jean who became the big powerful X-lady followed by Rachel when she had Phoenix. In fact a good part of Claremont's run with Ororo was when her power was stripped from her to show just how human she is.

I totally agree but it has been so long since she was respectfully shown to the degree of claremont that the things you mentioned that was done to Polaris has been the thing that has continually happened to Ororo. Again, I never said Polaris shouldn't have said what she said. My initial reaction to the panel was that I thought Ororo was asking her the question which would have completely ignored the fact that Ororo has energy sight and would be able to perceive energy patterns (EM) as well.
    I'm glad you don't support characters being written down to prop up other characters. It's a problem I've noticed with comic books that has its roots in "my fave can beat up your fave" (e.g. Batman vs Superman, and how Superman's at times been written dumber, easily tricked or taken advantage of, etc). I try to resist such lines of thinking even when they might appear to "benefit" Lorna as I want Lorna to get her due the right way.

As for how Storm's being written, I can't say whether it's good or bad, but I can say she's at least being written with a basic foundation of respect. I can't say that for Lorna.

Marvel's considered Storm essential enough that she's been part of every X-Men event, and been either a member of a team or star of a solo at all times. She was a member of the all-female X-Men team, with its premise of featuring the core living X-Women.

By contrast, Lorna was in limbo for two years after Secret Wars, has never had a solo, and Uncanny X-Men is the only X-Men event she's been able to take part in this decade (Unless you count the few panels of Regenesis used only to say "Yep she's goin to X-Factor"). Second woman to join the X-Men after Jean Grey, and she didn't get to be on the all-female X-Men team. Even with a TV version of her turning out to be the most popular character on that show, she's only barely showing up in a few scenes here and there. Any other character popular through a TV show and with the long history Lorna's had probably would've had a solo book by now. Marvel was certainly eager to relaunch Exiles and put Blink on a team when they thought Blink was going to be the breakout star of the show.

I'm not saying a fan should support bad writing (if true) just cause she gets to be everywhere. But the first step to good writing is being written at all, and a huge part of that is the company acknowledging the character has unique worth, potential and history to deserve being written. Storm gets that automatically. Lorna requires jumping through a bajillion hoops across nearly a decade before Marvel even barely considers giving her a couple scenes. Getting exactly two scenes for Lorna in an event like this requires as much effort as it takes for Storm to get a solo book. Hell, the whole reason I'm currently commissioning a Polaris minicomic for Lorna's 50th anniversary is cause I know current Marvel's never going to do anything like that for her. So when things are said that (unintentionally or otherwise) imply Lorna shouldn't get to have the few moments she gets, I become very defensive.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

between storm and polaris who can pick up the energy trail of some good pizza better cuz i'm hungry

between storm and polaris who can pick up the energy trail of some good pizza better cuz i'm hungry
    Neither, you want Michelangelo for that one. Or maybe April O'Neil. Her new superpower/job is to find and deliver the best pizzas in town.