Page 28 of 233 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031323878128 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Right but what editorial office is she currently working in? Editors approve book based on their corner of the DCU. If she’s in the Bat Office it will be a Batbook. Historically she seems to have worked in the Super and JL offices, so if she’s still there it will be a book in one of those branches.
    She is currently part of the JL editorial office.

Extraordinary Member

Newsarama: Artist Tom Raney to join Green Lantern in June
    Veteran artist Tom Raney will reteam with writer Geoffrey Thorne, joining the Green Lantern creative team with issue #3 in June.

Thorne and Raney are currently teaming for the two-part 'The Last Lanterns' story in the Future State: Green Lantern anthology in January and February.

Thorne and Raney were initially announced as the creative team of the new Green Lantern ongoing series in December during DC's CCXP virtual panels but just days later Thorne was confirmed as the writer of the series in a follow-up press release by the publisher but no artist was mentioned.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

^ ^ ^

Good news!

I know a lot of people think Raney is "old", but I vastly prefer his style to Dexter Soy's...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Yes, I have followed Higgins for quite some time and I acknowledged this data is specific to this store. But my thought is that this kind of data is more useful to seeing what customers are actually buying. What I find interesting is trends that you really only get with actual sales. For example, unless for some reason his report left 01/01/20 off the results, X-Men #5 sold better than #4 at his shop. A little looking at it might make one wonder if there are a lot of people who are not completionists, who don't just pull blindly, so a book with three dudes wearing suits walking into a UN meeting room was far less appealing than Storm and Armor in action poses and the threat of some deadly nemesis.
    Right but once again you can't really extrapolate anything from a single stores sales, this is just a snapshot into this one store so using it as evidence that a lot of the chart topping books don't sell is flawed. As a counter example lets look at the Books with Pictures shop in Portland. The owner, Katie Proctor, appeared on the Off Panel podcast a couple of years back and mentioned that 30% of her sales come from floppies and that for floppies her top four sales in terms of companies are:

1. Marvel
    2. Image
    3. Boom
    4. DC

And in terms of her customers taste she only keeps 2 copies of Watchmen in stock, 1 copy of V for Vendetta and doesn't carry The Killing Joke - given all that I'm sure you could find a month where she didn't sell Batman in floppies, but using that to conclude that people don't actually buy Batman would also be flawed since it's just one store.

Do you have a source about JLD or is it just the way the solicits are worded?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    The backups news comes from a recent WB podcast with Ram V: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000504986359
    Yea, he also mentioned on twitter that "going forward" it'll be a backup, doesn't sound like there are any plans to bring it back as it's own book anytime soon.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Right but once again you can't really extrapolate anything from a single stores sales, this is just a snapshot into this one store so using it as evidence that a lot of the chart topping books don't sell is flawed. As a counter example lets look at the Books with Pictures shop in Portland. The owner, Katie Proctor, appeared on the Off Panel podcast a couple of years back and mentioned that 30% of her sales come from floppies and that for floppies her top four sales in terms of companies are:

1. Marvel
    2. Image
    3. Boom
    4. DC

And in terms of her customers taste she only keeps 2 copies of Watchmen in stock, 1 copy of V for Vendetta and doesn't carry The Killing Joke - given all that I'm sure you could find a month where she didn't sell Batman in floppies, but using that to conclude that people don't actually buy Batman would also be flawed since it's just one store.
    I will just mention that this sounds like a 'book store' that also happens to sell comics and is in an area with several other shops that probably compete for that audience, which is not to discount your counter point but something that actually illustrates what I am wanting to see. Instead of one big number which is not all that useful, I would like to see more particular charts and sales. So, for example, I would expect this book store is among those that caters to a demographic that is not your stereotypical Big 2 reader, but I am not going base anything on something could be wrong, but whatever their demographic, seeing the sales trends from similar stores is much more useful than seeing what the small handful of Big Fish are ordering in bulk. Because headlines focusing on Spider-Woman shipping 150K units does nothing to promote anything anyone is interested in knowing about comics.

Extraordinary Member

I will just mention that this sounds like a 'book store' that also happens to sell comics and is in an area with several other shops that probably compete for that audience
    Nah, they're definitely a comic book store, just one that is non-traditional and makes most of their sales from trades.

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/book...tures-portland

Page from the Justice League Dark back up in April's Justice League #60:

Ultimate Member

I will just mention that this sounds like a 'book store' that also happens to sell comics and is in an area with several other shops that probably compete for that audience, which is not to discount your counter point but something that actually illustrates what I am wanting to see. Instead of one big number which is not all that useful, I would like to see more particular charts and sales. So, for example, I would expect this book store is among those that caters to a demographic that is not your stereotypical Big 2 reader, but I am not going base anything on something could be wrong, but whatever their demographic, seeing the sales trends from similar stores is much more useful than seeing what the small handful of Big Fish are ordering in bulk.
    Well you would have to visit EACH comic book store.

Also I DOUBT that would change the minds of folks (mainly the GATORS and their ilk) who take issue with certain books existing.

Because headlines focusing on Spider-Woman shipping 150K units does nothing to promote anything anyone is interested in knowing about comics.
    It wouldn't be an issue if the usual suspects would NOT throw a fit about it. When its NOT Batman-every thing from "orders to stores" or "Obama bought all those copies" is tossed out. Yet when it's BATMAN-nobody questions it.

Batman does not get questioned but everyone else does. Yet it's Batman with that pile of unsold books after everyone who wants one buys one.

It's Ms Marvel killing comic book store. It's Savage Dragon killing store when most store DON'T stock the book or constantly sell out of the 2 copies that they have.

Extraordinary Member

Nah, they're definitely a comic book store, just one that is non-traditional and makes most of their sales from trades.
    That is what I was saying, they clearly do not have a wide selection of monthly comics. I swear I hope I used the right terms to not be corrected again lol.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Well you would have to visit EACH comic book store.

Also I DOUBT that would change the minds of folks (mainly the GATORS and their ilk) who take issue with certain books existing.
    Each store would need a POS system that tracks it. The shop we are talking about uses ComicHub which tracks sales. If stores could use it to see similar purchases it could help them see that they could try to promote things lower on the charts because of something else they have that is selling or being asked about. Right now the charts only help a one size fit all mentality or shops don't use the charts because they 'know' what sells and those are probably the shops that are failing to grow their audience.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

That is one gorgeous page of people talking.

And the Clayton Henry teasing Shazam story/possible series continues, because while showing off art skills he’s clearly drawing Billy Batson talking to Mary Marvel while he’s at Titans Academy.

https://mobile.twitter.com/claytonhe...24634419982339
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Okay, so Barry is definitely The Flash on the Justice League.

And Aquaman...put a shirt on.

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Your loss dude
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    Venditti would be one of the best choices for a JSA book, but seeing how DC is still treating them, I'm losing faith that the JSA will see the light again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    I totally agree with this. DC never looked so dull before.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarFarr View Post
    Well I liked it, but the book lost over half of the readership if you take it from when Abnett left.
    Problem was that fans did not like the extended Arthur and Mera separation which lasted two years, but the point of no return was when it was revealed that Mera had killed Arthur. Honestly despite I liked the run, it was really dumb. Mera wasn't seen also for a good number of issues.

From that point onwards the book went into declining sales. To add further woes to declining sales in the last year from 11issues(excluding Endless winter) we got 3 fillers(1 in January, August and September, the last two with Jackson that completely sank the book). Yes The run gave us Andy and the wedding but they came too late, readers had dropped by then.
    I loved this run but those sales tell that others did not.
    It was nothing to do with the extended Arthur & Mera separation. Abnett put together a terrific, epic run, the Kelly Sue came in, arrogantly and narcissistically ripped it apart and cobbled together a below average, unengaging run of issues.

DC just gave the wrong writer the job and it stood out more because the prior run was so well written.

It’s a fairly simple formula; good writers + good artists + good editors - interference = good comics

KSD’s Aquaman was not good but it was not down to any single plot decision.
    Last edited by WelcomeBackFrank; 01-22-2021 at 04:56 PM.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WelcomeBackFrank View Post
    It’s a fairly simple formula; good writers + good artists + good editors - interference = good comics
    Unfortunately DC only applies that formula to books beginning with "Bat"....
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES