Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default So is Year One no longer her offiical origin?

Now that we know that WW is the first superhero in the new timeline, does this mean that Year One is no longer canon?
    Assassinate Putin!

I have to say yes. I mean Diana was 18 years old at the time.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Depends, but I imagine it will be again if the new status quo fails to connect with readers. All the status quo reputation boost of being the first hero won't help if her new origin is a mess, but knowing DC, they will argue it is and tell us not to think about what's going on with Steve.

This really is the worst editorial regime to be making a timeline, but alas, it's the hand we're dealt.

Once 5G hits yes. I assume Snyder will be retelling her origin down the road.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    How many issues before Diana and her friends hold hands and hope for a better tomorrow to vanquish the big bad? :P

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    We may get her new origin next week in issue #750. It's going to take place in the "new" extended 5G timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    We may get her new origin next week in issue #750. It's going to take place in the "new" extended 5G timeline.
    Three new origin stories in less than 10 years. I mean, at least hers keeps the same basic idea, mostly (poor Donna), but it's still ridiculous. I might be happier with it if I thought I was going to like the new origin or 5G, but honestly, right now I mostly just have a morbid sense of curiosity, rather than any anticipation or enthusiasm.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 01-15-2020 at 12:54 PM.

BANNED

Can't wait. Love reboots.

Incredible Member

Why? Reboots in fast succession just mean that character relationships never get the time they deserve to develop. I think it speaks to short attention spans and lack of faith on the part of the publisher, like they don't have confidence in anything they're setting up. Are we ever going to see relationships play out again slowly the way they did when Perez wrote them? It doesn't seem that way.

Spectacular Member

Perez had the advantage of getting a nice five-year run on the title and over sixty issues. That's unheard of these days with rare exceptions, like Tom King getting 80+ issues on "Batman."

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Three new origin stories in less than 10 years. I mean, at least hers keeps the same basic idea, mostly (poor Donna), but it's still ridiculous. I might be happier with it if I thought I was going to like the new origin or 5G, but honestly, right now I mostly just have a morbid sense of curiosity, rather than any anticipation or enthusiasm.
    Donna needs to revert back to her original origin, Diana saving her from a fire and taking her to Paradise Island where she was given her powers - which is perfectly possible now if Diana started over 100 years ago as that means she debuted before Donna, not after her like in post-Crisis continuity (which was the reason for Titans of Myth retcon). Any further retcons before New 52 were always unnecessary, and the Rebirth origin of her being created from clay (a rip off of Diana's pre-Crisis origin) to fight Diana was NEVER valid due to Diana's own Rebirth origin retcon.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Donna needs to revert back to her original origin, Diana saving her from a fire and taking her to Paradise Island where she was given her powers - which is perfectly possible now if Diana started over 100 years ago as that means she debuted before Donna, not after her like in post-Crisis continuity (which was the reason for Titans of Myth retcon). Any further retcons before New 52 were always unnecessary, and the Rebirth origin of her being created from clay (a rip off of Diana's pre-Crisis origin) to fight Diana was NEVER valid due to Diana's own Rebirth origin retcon.
    I don't like that origin (though the actually NTT story was great), because I don't like Diana over 100 years old (well, not that long in man's world, anyway). I like her as a peer of Superman and Batman, debuting at a similar time but definitely after Superman (as she did originally), and therefore far too late to have rescued a toddler Donna.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 01-16-2020 at 08:26 AM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Donna's original origin can be tweaked to Hermes or somebody rescuing Donna from the building at Aphrodite or Athena's behest, and being given to Hippolyta to raise while Diana is around 13 or so. When she's around that age herself she leaves Paradise Island shortly after Diana does to become Wonder Girl.

Otherwise, it should be left as is. They keep adding crap to it and making it worse. MAYBE add some stuff from her first post Crisis origin (like have Rhea be the one to rescue her and impart Titan seed powers on her before delivering her to Paradise Island), but don't use it wholesale. And absolutely ditch everything that came after "Who is Wonder Girl?"

Exactly. Like I said, no further updates were needed past that first post-Crisis retcon in 1988. Basically, pull a System Restore on her. Erase the whole multiple lifetimes thing and the clay origin.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

[quote]That gives it a whiff of "destiny" or "chosenness" to me, which I don't like for any characters (I do hate prophecy) since nobody else is getting dropped of on the island....actually, I guess some have (at least temporarily).

When she's around that age herself she leaves Paradise Island shortly after Diana does to become Wonder Girl.
    Will she still be living on the island, as per original TT and traveling to work with them? Because I definitely don't want her in Diana's custody as a teen - that recasts the relationship to me, making Diana a quasi-parent, and that's just not what they were. And, of course, despite later comments/retcons, Donna and the other TTs were more like 15 than 13 when they formed. Well, Garth aged weird, and Donna's existence was weird. But Dick was absolutely definitely at least 15 (quite reasonably 16 or 17) and Wally at least 14.

Erase the whole multiple lifetimes thing and the clay origin.
    Definitely in favor of that.