Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Hank Azaria will no longer voice The Simpsons' Apu character

The show still hasn't made a decision whether Apu will no longer appear on the show or if they'll attempt to take the character in another direction so that he's no longer offensive to some viewers.

But Azaria confirms that he will no longer voice Apu.

https://www.cbr.com/simpsons-hank-azaria-retires-apu/

I guess my question is this: was there always outrage against the character and the show just ignored it or did Apu all of the sudden say or do something that caused all the fanfare? The show has been on forever and Apu has always been a part of it since season 1.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    The show still hasn't made a decision whether Apu will no longer appear on the show or if they'll attempt to take the character in another direction so that he's no longer offensive to some viewers.

But Azaria confirms that he will no longer voice Apu.

https://www.cbr.com/simpsons-hank-azaria-retires-apu/

I guess my question is this: was there always outrage against the character and the show just ignored it or did Apu all of the sudden say or do something that caused all the fanfare? The show has been on forever and Apu has always been a part of it since season 1.
    The outrage grew from his portrayal as years passed. A documentary seemed to really add fuel to the fire of the character being done on Simpsons.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    people have slowly evolved to consider the perspectives of people who aren't like them. or, at least, that's my speculation. a lot of things that were acceptable in the 90s aren't necessarily so, today. for instance, sexual harrassment used to be considered humorous and something that women (especially tv characters) should expect. gay males were also sight gags.

If he's not voicing Apu, then I hope they retire the character.

They’d never consider retiring a show that hasn’t been relevant for about two decades, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cochese View Post
    They’d never consider retiring a show that hasn’t been relevant for about two decades, of course.
    Retiring a supporting character isn't the same as retiring the show.

BANNED

Character is dated anyway.

tbh the show should've ended years ago, anything with "cutting edge" comedy is bound to have content that will be considered offensive 30 years later. And let's face it, the show is a pale shadow of its former self at this point, having been supplanted by any number of other animated shows (many of which have come and gone will Simpsons keeps chugging out bland episodes)

Kind of a shame as Apu was one of my favorite Simpsons characters, though... i hope they retire the character entirely rather than replace Azaria on voice.

On the plus side, this probably means Hari Kondabolu's 15 minutes of fame are up.

Ultimate Member

So are they retiring Apu, or what?

Quote Originally Posted by basbash99 View Post
    tbh the show should've ended years ago, anything with "cutting edge" comedy is bound to have content that will be considered offensive 30 years later. And let's face it, the show is a pale shadow of its former self at this point, having been supplanted by any number of other animated shows (many of which have come and gone will Simpsons keeps chugging out bland episodes)

Kind of a shame as Apu was one of my favorite Simpsons characters, though... i hope they retire the character entirely rather than replace Azaria on voice.

On the plus side, this probably means Hari Kondabolu's 15 minutes of fame are up.
    Maybe they'll offer Hari Kondabolu the role?

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Maybe they'll offer Hari Kondabolu the role?
    Possibly, but i kinda doubt it. He wasn't just objecting to a white guy voicing Apu, he didn't like the "stereotypical" aspects of the character. I think the producers would worry that Hari would be objecting to some of the dialogue or plots that assign to Apu, and thus be kind of a pain to work with. I think its more likely that Apu becomes a non-speaking, background character or just disappears from the show. It would be nice if they have him a send-off episode but if Azaria's already done voicing him that may not be possible.

Quote Originally Posted by basbash99 View Post
    Possibly, but i kinda doubt it. He wasn't just objecting to a white guy voicing Apu, he didn't like the "stereotypical" aspects of the character. I think the producers would worry that Hari would be objecting to some of the dialogue or plots that assign to Apu, and thus be kind of a pain to work with. I think its more likely that Apu becomes a non-speaking, background character or just disappears from the show. It would be nice if they have him a send-off episode but if Azaria's already done voicing him that may not be possible.
    So either give Kondabolu script approval, or just to do the voice for the one-off send-off for the character.

Ultimate Member

I always thought that the version of Apu on the show was so over the top and so much of a stereotype that it was supposed to make us laugh at the stereotype of Indian people, as Apu has branched out over the years...

Amazing Member

If they are going to give in to this then they might aswell cancel the show. Like it has been said before basically every character in the show is a stereotype of some sort. The show was always a satire and comedy as art is subjective, if you dont like it dont watch it.
    And for the love of god DONT let the guy that started this voice the character now.
    I'm a Mexican living in the US, my skin color is pretty light but I've got black hair, brown eyes and a thick accent when speaking English, I have experienced some discrimination, and yet I still dont understand modern sensitivities to be offended at everything and demanding forced representation on media. I can understand that the Bumbblebee man is NOT a serious representation of Mexicans.

Quote Originally Posted by GeekSmark View Post
    If they are going to give in to this then they might aswell cancel the show. Like it has been said before basically every character in the show is a stereotype of some sort. The show was always a satire and comedy as art is subjective, if you dont like it dont watch it.
    And for the love of god DONT let the guy that started this voice the character now.
    I'm a Mexican living in the US, my skin color is pretty light but I've got black hair, brown eyes and a thick accent when speaking English, I have experienced some discrimination, and yet I still dont understand modern sensitivities to be offended at everything and demanding forced representation on media. I can understand that the Bumbblebee man is NOT a serious representation of Mexicans.
    Its because the show never evolved is the issue, it stagnated massively and what started out as relevant satire slowly slid into offensive.