Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    so was Martin Luther King jr. are you comparing the latter to Hitler?
    There were many who viewed MLK as a villain. So much so that they assassinated him.

And there are many who viewed Hitler as a hero. He did bring Germany out of a horrible depression, the greatest economic reversal in recorded history. And his whole thing was about protecting his people. Magneto has a lot in common with him. In the end, we must judge characters/people by their actions, not their intentions.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WhySoFuriousGeorge View Post
    I rejected it because the symbolism argument did not apply. There's a difference between employing a certain methodology and failing for (reasons), and employing a certain methodology and failing because you're bad at it.
    If you don't believe he's bad at it that's on you. It seems to me he is always losing, always being beaten, always feeling the loss of all the different ways he fails, eventually he came to the conclusion that he is bad at it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Arya View Post
    If you don't believe he's bad at it that's on you. It seems to me he is always losing, always being beaten, always feeling the loss of all the different ways he fails, eventually he came to the conclusion that he is bad at it.
    And since we've officially entered the phase where you just repeat yourself, my work is done here. Carry on with whatever inane point you're trying to make here.

BANNED

really? you're using the "they did it first" defense? is this grade school?
    It's really not about grade school it's about mutual respect. I will respond as others respond to me. Why don't you call out others too?
    Last edited by Arya; 10-04-2016 at 03:21 PM.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    There were many who viewed MLK as a villain. So much so that they assassinated him.
    Yes, in a way that a great evil always sees villainy in the moral and the just.

BANNED

Back to Magneto, I think he will join Exodus in his plans because he agrees with him. That's problematic, he already made the mutates, using Exodus' enhanced mutants would fit in with prior behavior. Considering he would then be using kidnapped mutants and forcing them to fight he's still showing he's still a villain.

BANNED

Back to Magneto, I think he will join Exodus in his plans because he agrees with him. That's problematic, he already made the mutates, using Exodus' enhanced mutants would fit in with prior behavior. Considering he would then be using kidnapped mutants and forcing them to fight he's still showing he's still a villain.

Lol. No chance at all of that happening. Exodus will plea to him for support though.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Yes, in a way that a great evil always sees villainy in the moral and the just.
    You know, peaceful non-resistance and integration has never been Magneto's strong suit.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Militantly Indifferent Kisinith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    You know, peaceful non-resistance and integration has never been Magneto's strong suit.
    This is correct, at his core Magneto is an extremely damaged individual. No one is actually arguing that. He has a great capacity for good and his desires are for the most part laudable, but he eventually gives in to the demons that made him. I don't see anyone really holding him up as an admirable individual, neither however is he an innately villainous one. Magneto is driven by two ideas, 1) his deep and abiding fear that a war is inevitable (or already occurring) between Humanity and Mutant and 2) his deep cynicism towards just about everyone around him. He wants to believe in Xavier's dream, but the horrors around him and of his own making prevent that from happening. I'd also put out there that he is no worse than many other characters, in fact I'd say that he is far less of a villain than a character like Punisher. That is an opinion, feel free to disagree.

The thing that makes Magneto a great character is not that he is good but that he is interesting. This is something the EXM should learn, that book has lots of "good" characters unfortunately its boring as hell. Magneto, even when he crosses the line is still sympathetic (for the most part, sometimes bad writing makes any character, yes even Storm, look dumb). Part of the appeal for Magneto is that he can be a heroic character or villainous one without compromising who he is. Magneto is a tragic figure, he is in many ways a failure and will probably always be remembered more for his mistakes and failures than his successes. He is the type of character who will burn, unintentionally, everyone who gets close to him. All of this is true... and so what? These are also the things that make him great to follow, they are the reasons that he's one of the best characters Marvel has. These are the reasons that he's compelling no matter what side of the aisle he falls on. He may not be a hero but he's consistently been a hell of a lot more interesting to read than almost anyone else in the X-Books lately.

When reading comic books, I'll take interesting over boring any day of the week. As to the thread question, good or bad? I'll take however the hell Bunn wants to write him

Quote Originally Posted by Kisinith View Post
    This is correct, at his core Magneto is an extremely damaged individual. No one is actually arguing that. He has a great capacity for good and his desires are for the most part laudable, but he eventually gives in to the demons that made him. I don't see anyone really holding him up as an admirable individual, neither however is he an innately villainous one. Magneto is driven by two ideas, 1) his deep and abiding fear that a war is inevitable (or already occurring) between Humanity and Mutant and 2) his deep cynicism towards just about everyone around him. He wants to believe in Xavier's dream, but the horrors around him and of his own making prevent that from happening. I'd also put out there that he is no worse than many other characters, in fact I'd say that he is far less of a villain than a character like Punisher. That is an opinion, feel free to disagree.

The thing that makes Magneto a great character is not that he is good but that he is interesting. This is something the EXM should learn, that book has lots of "good" characters unfortunately its boring as hell. Magneto, even when he crosses the line is still sympathetic (for the most part, sometimes bad writing makes any character, yes even Storm, look dumb). Part of the appeal for Magneto is that he can be a heroic character or villainous one without compromising who he is. Magneto is a tragic figure, he is in many ways a failure and will probably always be remembered more for his mistakes and failures than his successes. He is the type of character who will burn, unintentionally, everyone who gets close to him. All of this is true... and so what? These are also the things that make him great to follow, they are the reasons that he's one of the best characters Marvel has. These are the reasons that he's compelling no matter what side of the aisle he falls on. He may not be a hero but he's consistently been a hell of a lot more interesting to read than almost anyone else in the X-Books lately.

When reading comic books, I'll take interesting over boring any day of the week. As to the thread question, good or bad? I'll take however the hell Bunn wants to write him
    exactly. I'm not sure why this is so hard for some to understand (unless they are just trolls).

that's because you don't understand Magneto or Exodus. the latter is a religious zealot who was given his reason for living by Magneto. he has worn Magneto's face before. "join him?"

It's really not about grade school it's about mutual respect. I will respond as others respond to me. Why don't you call out others too?
    you came in here to troll the character that I like. why would I do your work for you?

BANNED

you came in here to troll the character that I like. why would I do your work for you?
    I came in here because of the title of the thread. It's not trolling when you tell the truth.

BANNED

that's because you don't understand Magneto or Exodus. the latter is a religious zealot who was given his reason for living by Magneto. he has worn Magneto's face before. "join him?"
    I never said that Magneto wouldnt take over or that Exodus wouldn't let him. I like Magneto a lot but I don't do rose colored goggles when it comes to him. He can do good but he isn't good. I am not going to pretend he is just to make his more ardent fans feel better.
    Last edited by Arya; 10-04-2016 at 07:17 PM.

I never said that Magneto wouldnt take over or that Exodus wouldn't let him. I like Magneto a lot but I don't do rose colored goggles when it comes to him. He can do good but he isn't good. I am not going to pretend he is just to make his more ardent fans feel better.
    "Magneto fans are funny. Your lord and savior relies on his teammates whenever he knows he can't get the job done. First it was Storm and then it became Cyclops. Your megalomaniac works better when he falls in line and follows someone else." --Arya

"I like Magneto a lot" vs "Magneto fans are funny"