Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    And again we ask, when did the Dems enough control in Government in the last 40 years to do that. When did they have a filibuster proof majority? Blame the Democrats and abstain from voting, make sure more Republicans get elected to make things worse. Great strategy. The only States now that are protecting abortion are the Blue ones. And by the way, if more people had voted for Hillary, there would now be three more liberal Justices upholding Roe. How did saying it didn't matter work out?
    I'm sorry that I live in a deep red state and my vote was meaningless back in 2016.

Do you think I am happy about the situation, especially knowing that people like Nancy Pelosi were constantly supportive of pro-life members of their own party?

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Farealmer View Post
    With gay marriage, someone I talked to about it brought this up.
    Gorsuch wasn’t on the court when Obergefell was decided so whoever told you that was wrong.

I wish Biden would have said what we are all thinking.

He was asked if he thought the SC was Broken. He answered I think they made a terrible decision.

Fucking sack up and say what most people in the country and you base is saying.

The SC is Broken! Say it! Stop playing nice!
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    I'm hoping the mask of him being "the good pope" is finally coming off.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post

He was asked if he thought the SC was Broken. He answered I think they made a terrible decision.

Yup, this need to try and keep things calm and try and pretend we have a functioning system will be what assures the Republicans will win big in the midterms. They paint us as an enemy to be exterminated, and the moderate democrats paint them as a party to compromise with, it's pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    is anyone else disappointed that the pope is pro-life?

Quote Originally Posted by Farealmer View Post
    How privileged you are that if it happened all you would need to worry about is looking dumb. I don't think you are a troll Mets, like others do, but damn, sometimes you make it hard to hold that belief.
    We may be talking past one another if you think I'm concerned there's a realistic possibility that the Supreme Court will overturn Loving V. Virginia.

I don't think there's any possibility it will be happen.

Any concern about my privilege on this specific question just seems like someone who is worried about Pizzagate responding to a dismissal of their conspiracy theory with the suggestion that it means I'm not worried about sex trafficking, and that while they don't think I'm a troll, I make it hard for others to hold that belief.

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    Yup, this need to try and keep things calm and try and pretend we have a functioning system will be what assures the Republicans will win big in the midterms. They paint us as an enemy to be exterminated, and the moderate democrats paint them as a party to compromise with, it's pathetic.
    So what would you like to see?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

And again we ask, when did the Dems enough control in Government in the last 40 years to do that. When did they have a filibuster proof majority? Blame the Democrats and abstain from voting, make sure more Republicans get elected to make things worse. Great strategy. The only States now that are protecting abortion are the Blue ones. And by the way, if more people had voted for Hillary, there would now be three more liberal Justices upholding Roe. How did saying it didn't matter work out?
    No, there would be two more liberal Justices, not three. If Hillary Clinton had been President, Anthony Kennedy would not have retired.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post

It’s Trumps style to erode peoples faith in our government. It helps him paint himself as the only one who can fix it. It’s also a tactic of populists and authoritarians all over the world.
    I don’t know if it’s a good thing for Biden to emulate Trump.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Here is the incredibly obvious problem with the game of "If?..." folks seem to always want to play when the seemingly are intent on putting the blame on folks with very little control over over how things actually play out...

If we truly set out to play a game of "If?..."?

If HRC actually took a serious look at just how hobbled her campaign was?

(Never mind actually being straight with herself about just how much support she actually did not have...)

If RGB actually put how things were going to play out in the long run ahead of going out on her own terms?

If they had?

The folks that seem so intent on putting the blame on would not really be much of an issue because folks whose mistakes come with a far greater degree of consequence might not have made them.

We have seen conclusively that folks like HRC or RGB will not have their respective arms twisted even when folks are saying that just about "Everything..." is at stake.

Honestly?

That creates a situation where the voter doesn't have anywhere near the sort of pull that folks would like to believe.

(Never mind that voters just attempted that, and got a Democratic Party that just accepted the fact that things would stay jacked up when two of their own decided to do something other than actually look out for the voter's interest...)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

We may be talking past one another if you think I'm concerned there's a realistic possibility that the Supreme Court will overturn Loving V. Virginia.

I don't think there's any possibility it will be happen.
    What about the stuff Thomas declared should be revisited? Are you as confidant about them?

N.J. Congressman Smith said he would seek to ban abortions after 15 weeks if GOP wins the House

Rep. Chris Smith, one of the leading abortion opponents in Congress, said Friday that if a Republican majority takes over the House after the mid-term elections, it would seek to ban abortions after 15 weeks. Smith’s comments came in the aftermath of the U.S. Supreme Court ruling on Friday overturning Roe v. Wade.

The proposal, which would include exceptions for rape, incest and the life of the mother, would go even further than the 20-week ban that House Republicans passed in 2017, the last time they controlled the chamber. Despite then-President Donald Trump’s support, the measure died in the Senate.
    Smith, co-chair of the Congressional Pro-Life Caucus and the leading sponsor of what is known as the Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act, acknowledged that the legislation wasn’t going to become law any time soon.
    At the same time, Smith expressed concern that Democrats would continue to push legislation that would guarantee abortion rights. The House passed that bill, the Women’s Health Protection Act, 218-211 in September, with all 10 New Jersey Democrats voting yes and both Republicans voting no. The measure then was blocked in February of this year by a Republican-led filibuster in the Senate.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    It’s Trumps style to erode peoples faith in our government. It helps him paint himself as the only one who can fix it. It’s also a tactic of populists and authoritarians all over the world.
    Biden needed to come out and say

"Yes it is broken. Here is why and here is how we got there. And here is how we fight to get back from this." Playing nice and letting the GOP set the rules and narritive is a big reason we are where we are today.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    That's how authoritarian leaders build themselves; they either help create a problem, or they point to an existing problem and extol themselves as the only solution to solve it, even though they are all but guaranteed to make it worse. However, for many disillusioned individuals, it is that quick fix, often at a time where they seek a time of past glory in their country's history, that allows them to make that bad judgment.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    No, there would be two more liberal Justices, not three. If Hillary Clinton had been President, Anthony Kennedy would not have retired.
    Okay,but Kennedy would have held up Roe.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!