Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Morbius ongoing

Default Morbius ongoing

The first issue of Vita Alaya and Marcelo Ferreira's Morbius is out.

Anyone pick it up?

There's a fight with a C-list Iron Man foe, and a narrative for Morbius that's very much like spoilers:
    the beginning of Spider-Man's arc in the story where Morbius debuted (Amazing Spider-Man #100-102.)
    end of spoilers

It's okay but a really fast read.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

It was fine. The series can get better or worst in future. I'm curious.

Extraordinary Member

I also thought that the pacing was a little too fast. And the art was a little off to me, but I blame that more on the coloring.

But Vita has a great handle on Morbius. She writes him as a very thoughtful and intelligent guy...who is also a cannibalistic predator who is scary AF. I also appreciate that she shows him not killing Melter and his gang, not that that lessens just how horrifying he would actually be.

Astonishing Member

Have to second, third and fourth the opinion that it was a fast read. I don't know if it was due to the writing or the fact I enjoyed it.

Morbius works best when writers contrast his intelligence and compassion with the hideous acts he commits in order to sate his hunger for blood. It is why he is so tragic. While the comic is horrific, Michael's insights and the fact he let everybody live helps convey both sides of the coin. Vita does this in spades. I also like her voice for Morbius. The art is a bit messy in points, but, like others have said, that is due to the colour palette used. Otherwise, i am going to stick this out since it is a mini-series. Plus Morbius is a character I like.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    I also thought that the pacing was a little too fast. And the art was a little off to me, but I blame that more on the coloring.

But Vita has a great handle on Morbius. She writes him as a very thoughtful and intelligent guy...who is also a cannibalistic predator who is scary AF. I also appreciate that she shows him not killing Melter and his gang, not that that lessens just how horrifying he would actually be.
    I feel similarly. The philosophical narration was great, especially in contrast with the violence happening simultaneously. It's probably the best characterization of Morbius in awhile, though still not as good as in his 90s series.

Still, I'm curious what's coming.

-Pav, who thinks the art could be darker...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

I have an extremely important question.

Which Melter?
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Newsarama gives the first issue an 8 out of 10.

https://www.newsarama.com/47861-best...1-x-men-2.html
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    I feel similarly. The philosophical narration was great, especially in contrast with the violence happening simultaneously. It's probably the best characterization of Morbius in awhile, though still not as good as in his 90s series.

Still, I'm curious what's coming.

-Pav, who thinks the art could be darker...
    I don't know if I would say "darker" but more matte or something? I don't know, the colors just don't work with the strong inking. I feel like they're too strong.

The fact that Morbius doesn't kill the henchmen is actually a pretty interesting take from Vita, especially given how downright Morbius is actually portrayed. I mean, that beginning was horrifying, especially since we know that Morbius can and will eat people. Seeing him do all of that but not actually go in for the kill helps the philosophical inner-monologue from Michael actually hold some weight.

This is a Morbius who is actually trying to be good, who is actually trying to change more than just his vampirism.

Also, who is that woman? Is she Rachel van Helsing?

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    I have an extremely important question.

Which Melter?
    He's wearing the old-school Melter costume, so I assume it's the Melter we saw working as one of Hobgoblin's franchisees.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rob London View Post
    He's wearing the old-school Melter costume, so I assume it's the Melter we saw working as one of Hobgoblin's franchisees.
    And what was he going to do to that gang member? Melt his face off? Why would Morbius go, damn, I needs science stuff, so I had better go find the Melter instead of the, like, 478 other supervillains who operate in New York City at any given time!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob London View Post
    I forgot about all of Roderick's hoes. Yes, this makes sense.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

I thought that the comic was fine. An enjoyable read. Morbius felt in character to me. I'm intersested in seeing where the comic and tittle character will go moving forward.

I thought that you could be an older fan of Morbius and enjoy the first issue, or be a new reader coming across Morbius for the first time, and still easilly understand what the character is supposed to be about.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    And what was he going to do to that gang member? Melt his face off? Why would Morbius go, damn, I needs science stuff, so I had better go find the Melter instead of the, like, 478 other supervillains who operate in New York City at any given time!
    It seemed to me that the Melter was about to inject the gang member with some form of chemical, not set the guy on fire. And, Melter made some referances to trying some new things out. Given all the lab and chemical equipment that the Melter had, I took it to mean that Melter had decided to try his hand at some new chemical experimentation. I think that we are just supposed to take it for granted that Morbius had found out about Melter's chemical experiments off panel and decided that they could help him control his blood lust.

At least that's how the story read to me. I could easilly be wrong.

BANNED

This issue was ok. Just ok. Not especially motivated to continue with it but we'll see.

Extraordinary Member

One thing I also liked was that even when Morbius's serum did seem to be working, it didn't actually make him less ugly. He still didn't have a nose, he still had pointed ears, and his nails were black. And now he's going to turn into a hideous bat thing.

I dug it but it read a bit too fast for me. I should probably reread it.

It felt like a stealth sequel to the last morbius solo but that's just me.