I hope Taylor isn’t telling a no matter what mutants try it always turns to sh$t for them and they never get happy endings. I want this book to actually accomplish something or at least move it forward a bit for mutants. It would really show why we really needed Jean back.

CBR did an article on XMR. For me it had to be Jean no other x-men IMO stirs people up like her (look at the thread for XMR #1 lol). For a comic character that’s a good thing. Everyone is waiting for what she does next.
    https://www.cbr.com/jean-grey-social...ant-x-men-red/
    Last edited by 5cents; 02-13-2018 at 08:03 AM.
    First X-Lady

Quote Originally Posted by Narasinha View Post
    Jean is trying to find a peaceful solution. She is working from inside the system, talking to governments through legit, officially sanctioned channels. Scott was working outside of the system. He was a wanted fugitive and his actions weren't legal.

I am not saying that Scott was wrong or that he wasn't unfairly treated. But, even if the end is similar (which they aren't really: Jean is just trying to get mutant's rights recognized in most countries), the methods are obviously not the same.

Naturally, the situation of both characters wasn't the same. Now it seems that Jean will also be considered a criminal and be a fugitive so maybe she will use the same methods as Scott. (I hope not because telling over again the same story isn't that interesting)
    Thank you!

With a few tweaks, I think several characters may have been able to step up to attempt what Jean is doing now (whatever that is), but I think Jean is uniquely positioned in-universe to do this for a couple reasons.

a.) She's aware of everything that happened in her absence, but since she didn't directly experience it she hasn't been worn down by the years of near mutant extinction, schism, trying to decide if we like Cyclops or not, and all that hullabaloo. She's fresh, and can look at things with a bit more objective and less weary take. Oddly enough, you could say she's in a bit of a privileged position (if you leave aside the whole being dead for several years part), but she intends to make the best of that position and do good for the world.

b.) Being a telepath, she's also well in-tune to people and what really motivates and scares them, so she can take steps to meet and address that. That was also a key element of her gathering all those brilliant minds together and making use of their talents simultaneously. Who's to say if they had been asked to work together the regular way if they would have effectively come up with something or gotten along at all. They may all be educated brilliant people, but being individuals from literally all over the world means that internal human biases and disagreements could still have derailed the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by 5cents View Post
    I hope Taylor isn’t telling a no matter what mutants try it always turns to sh$t for them and they never get happy endings. I want this book to actually accomplish something or at least move it forward a bit for mutants. It would really show why we really needed Jean back.

CBR did an article on XMR. For me it had to be Jean no other x-men IMO stirs people up like her (look at the thread for XMR #1 lol). For a comic character that’s a good thing. Everyone is waiting for what she does next.
    https://www.cbr.com/jean-grey-social...ant-x-men-red/
    Nice and optimistic article.

For my own happiness’ sake I’m waiting for several issues in before I get completely behind what’s going on in X-Men red. I absolutely loved the first issue but we’ve had many books start strong only to quickly fizzle out.

Don’t get me wrong I’m optimistic, but waiting to see what happens. For all we know issue 1 could have been a way to show us jean’s vision but the rest of the book could simply be the fallout of her “killing” that representative... aka her and her team mostly hiding and fighting bad guys. In other words I’m waiting to see how much of the book will actually be about jean making long term changes (which I hope it does).
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Disappointed that thus far Jean has been left out of the Hunt For Wolverine. This is the next big event outside of her return, and doesn't look she'll be having a big role in this "phase" I suppose.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    Disappointed that thus far Jean has been left out of the Hunt For Wolverine. This is the next big event outside of her return, and doesn't look she'll be having a big role in this "phase" I suppose.
    I don't think she is going to appear in the "mystery in madripoor" mini or any of the other minis, she would be front and center in the cover if she was there.

marvel probably wants her doing her own thing in red.

Ultimate Member

Perhaps whatever happens once the Gold and Blue teams at least get shuffled again will involve Logan and Jean, though maybe we'll see that Jean wants to either go and find him or at least talk to him but can't until say the next big event...

Just had a thought. Presumably, teen Jean will be sticking around a while yet. I wonder if they'll touch much upon her reactions to what her older self is doing. Her whole deal was to avoid the fate of her older self. Now that she's back and surging forward it would be interesting to see how her young self feels about that.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ariwl1 View Post
    Just had a thought. Presumably, teen Jean will be sticking around a while yet. I wonder if they'll touch much upon her reactions to what her older self is doing. Her whole deal was to avoid the fate of her older self. Now that she's back and surging forward it would be interesting to see how her young self feels about that.
    I love jeen but honestly she feels a bit redundant now.
    she was a young jean trying to be different and not ending up dead. her problem is that now adult jean is doing things different and alive, adult jean is also more interesting, mature and not a copy. jeen lost her purpose when the adult came back.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Honestly happy, I'd rather Jean and Wolverine not interact much together.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    I love jeen but honestly she feels a bit redundant now.
    she was a young jean trying to be different and not ending up dead. her problem is that now adult jean is doing things different and alive, adult jean is also more interesting, mature and not a copy. jeen lost her purpose when the adult came back.
    she also lost her purpose when Bunn had it revealed that she and the O5 will have to go back with their memories erased. Nothing with her matters anymore. I really wish they had gone the merger route instead of keeping them as seperate characters. I thought for sure the Phoenix would age teen Jean up and have her merge with adult Jean's ghost, unifying the two as one complete character

Jean is trying to find a peaceful solution. She is working from inside the system, talking to governments through legit, officially sanctioned channels. Scott was working outside of the system. He was a wanted fugitive and his actions weren't legal.

I am not saying that Scott was wrong or that he wasn't unfairly treated. But, even if the end is similar (which they aren't really: Jean is just trying to get mutant's rights recognized in most countries), the methods are obviously not the same.

Naturally, the situation of both characters wasn't the same. Now it seems that Jean will also be considered a criminal and be a fugitive so maybe she will use the same methods as Scott. (I hope not because telling over again the same story isn't that interesting)
    To be fair, Scott didn't have the tools to approach the problem the way Jean is. Scott was a soldier, and Jean's an ambassador. Two completely different skillsets. Sometimes you need one, sometimes the other.

Also the problems they are dealing with are fundamentally different. Scott was trying to keep the mutants alive through decimation and IvX, while Jean is trying to entrench mutant rights in an scenario were survival is no longer a question.

I hope she's successful, at least to some degree. Of course no real headway can ever be made here or the basic conflict built into the books from the beginning becomes a moot point.

Seems to be more about marvel universe than only x-men. These two will probably meet soon and for sure it wll get emotional

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhammer View Post
    To be fair, Scott didn't have the tools to approach the problem the way Jean is. Scott was a soldier, and Jean's an ambassador. Two completely different skillsets. Sometimes you need one, sometimes the other.

Also the problems they are dealing with are fundamentally different. Scott was trying to keep the mutants alive through decimation and IvX, while Jean is trying to entrench mutant rights in an scenario were survival is no longer a question.
    Yes, that's what I said: Different people, different personalities, different situations. Doesn't mean that one is wrong and the other is right. And both have something in common: they both want to do what they think is best for the people they want to protect.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhammer View Post
    I hope she's successful, at least to some degree. Of course no real headway can ever be made here or the basic conflict built into the books from the beginning becomes a moot point.
    It's possible to change the premise of a book. But that need more planning and that need to take more risks than what Marvel is willing to.

Yes, that's what I said: Different people, different personalities, different situations. Doesn't mean that one is wrong and the other is right. And both have something in common: they both want to do what they think is best for the people they want to protect.
    Different situations for sure. Jean is an ambassador but if she would have been around for Decimation or IvX maybe we would have seen this.

It's possible to change the premise of a book. But that need more planning and that need to take more risks than what Marvel is willing to.
    Possible, but highly unlikely. We should all know better by now. Plus what about that witty tagline?