Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default my issue with spiderman at the MCU

i like many people would love to see how spiderman and peter parker would interact wityh the MCU. however i start to remember the main issue between spiderman the marvel and that's concerning his age. we all know marvel for some strange reason refuses to let spiderman grow up nor give him a marriage(well that is until someone with sanity or brains decides to bring that back) and with that i am just tired of teenage parker for a while that is is just in media and maybe in comics as well. i'm also jst sick of everyone picturing him as a teenager when we all know that he has been an adult for decades. he was 30 years old pre-OMD and 28 post-OMD and if people complain that he's an adult in his debut of the MCU i will fight them on the side of the street. hopefully marvel studios think differently and can be allow to make peter grow as a character and feel like an adult.

thoughts?

Astonishing Member

I think that this might have more to due with how Slott portrays Spider-Man and how the audience responds to it. I feel that the demands to make Peter youthful has a lot to do with the notion that Spider-Man is geared at young children, as its been the case by the media who always has him as a high school kid. That's how the world sees Spider-Man because a lot of kids first exposure to comic books in through Spider-Man.

They won't let Peter have a relationship with a heroine. They won't have him in a relationship with Liz Allan because she's a single mother. And they won't allow Spider-Man to play an active role in the Avengers other than being a stupid comic relief.

The breakup of Peter and Mary Jane's marriage didn't bother too much. But rather than use the opportunity to actually established Peter's relationship with Betty Brant, Liz Allan and Felicia Hardy; they give us a string of forgettable relationships. And rather than using outside characters like Jessica Drew and Natasha Romanov as part of the Spider-Family, we get Otto Octavius as Spider-Man....

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    I think that this might have more to due with how Slott portrays Spider-Man and how the audience responds to it. I feel that the demands to make Peter youthful has a lot to do with the notion that Spider-Man is geared at young children, as its been the case by the media who always has him as a high school kid. That's how the world sees Spider-Man because a lot of kids first exposure to comic books in through Spider-Man.

They won't let Peter have a relationship with a heroine. They won't have him in a relationship with Liz Allan because she's a single mother. And they won't allow Spider-Man to play an active role in the Avengers other than being a stupid comic relief.

The breakup of Peter and Mary Jane's marriage didn't bother too much. But rather than use the opportunity to actually established Peter's relationship with Betty Brant, Liz Allan and Felicia Hardy; they give us a string of forgettable relationships. And rather than using outside characters like Jessica Drew and Natasha Romanov as part of the Spider-Family, we get Otto Octavius as Spider-Man....
    which is why i'm afraid of his role in the MCU. back in the day in the kate 70s, 80s, 90s, and mid 2000s even writers with brains in post OMD spiderman wrote him as an adult but marvel for some strange reason hinders this because of either sales or they're selfish interest.

and young children? the series is based on struggles, morality, psychology, relationships, depression, and anything dark and adult in the spiderman comics. kids is not the strong word i would use. you still have many adults who are fans of spiderman.

i think the reason spiderman hasn't dated any superpowered characters was because life would be too easy for peter even though we know it would just be temporary and most people would want to see his relationship with captain marvel/carol, jessica drew, she hulk, etc. betty, liz, and felicia would played alot more emotion in peter's life post-OMD but instead we get boring cooper and a possible odd cindy moon.

him as a comic relief is painful. i mean come on spiderman is 30 years old and is one of the most iconic characters in comic book history and has brains that can help other members of the avengers and f4 and you reduced him to comic relief? the guy isn't a beginner like most anime heroes.

this is why i prefer him as an adult because it's a real screw up to make him a teenager.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by marvelguy25 View Post
    which is why i'm afraid of his role in the MCU. back in the day in the kate 70s, 80s, 90s, and mid 2000s even writers with brains in post OMD spiderman wrote him as an adult but marvel for some strange reason hinders this because of either sales or they're selfish interest.

and young children? the series is based on struggles, morality, psychology, relationships, depression, and anything dark and adult in the spiderman comics. kids is not the strong word i would use. you still have many adults who are fans of spiderman.

i think the reason spiderman hasn't dated any superpowered characters was because life would be too easy for peter even though we know it would just be temporary and most people would want to see his relationship with captain marvel/carol, jessica drew, she hulk, etc. betty, liz, and felicia would played alot more emotion in peter's life post-OMD but instead we get boring cooper and a possible odd cindy moon.

him as a comic relief is painful. i mean come on spiderman is 30 years old and is one of the most iconic characters in comic book history and has brains that can help other members of the avengers and f4 and you reduced him to comic relief? the guy isn't a beginner like most anime heroes.

this is why i prefer him as an adult because it's a real screw up to make him a teenager.
    I really disagree with this. The issue with Spider-Man and the MCU, is that Peter Parker is his own person (not just Spider-Man), who simply does not fit in with much of the MCU. A perfect example is with The Avengers. He is not a 24/7 Super Hero like Captain America, nor does he really like the job of being Spider-Man, he does it because it is the right thing to do. But at the same time, he refuses to sacrifice his humanity (and that includes his sense of humor), and for that reason he does not gain the respect of most members of the MCU (an exception is the FF, because he has a lot of Johnny and Ben character traits in him, which is something that obviously Reed and Sue are familiar with, so he has a different kind of relationship with them, then does any other member of the MCU).
    As far as a Super-Heroine is concerned, they would be more into "Saving The World" then staying @ home with Pete (even Natasha foots that bill), we see this perfectly with Felicia Hardy (despite NOT being a heroine). Just like Gwen Stacy, Betty Brant, Carlie Cooper, Liz Allen, or anyone else, could not deal with Pete risking his life, for sometimes very ungrateful people, instead of staying @ home. Of course, there is one person who can handle both sides of the character (the Spider & The Man), that is his True Soul Mate, Mary Jane

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler53 View Post
    I really disagree with this. The issue with Spider-Man and the MCU, is that Peter Parker is his own person (not just Spider-Man), who simply does not fit in with much of the MCU. A perfect example is with The Avengers. He is not a 24/7 Super Hero like Captain America, nor does he really like the job of being Spider-Man, he does it because it is the right thing to do. But at the same time, he refuses to sacrifice his humanity (and that includes his sense of humor), and for that reason he does not gain the respect of most members of the MCU (an exception is the FF, because he has a lot of Johnny and Ben character traits in him, which is something that obviously Reed and Sue are familiar with, so he has a different kind of relationship with them, then does any other member of the MCU).
    As far as a Super-Heroine is concerned, they would be more into "Saving The World" then staying @ home with Pete (even Natasha foots that bill), we see this perfectly with Felicia Hardy (despite NOT being a heroine). Just like Gwen Stacy, Betty Brant, Carlie Cooper, Liz Allen, or anyone else, could not deal with Pete risking his life, for sometimes very ungrateful people, instead of staying @ home. Of course, there is one person who can handle both sides of the character (the Spider & The Man), that is his True Soul Mate, Mary Jane
    and that is one of the reasons i don't like him in the avengers in the MCU and neither should anyone else for that matter especially if he has to work with shield. i'd rather he interact with daredevil and other street level heroes especially the F4 since they treat him like the member of the family as well as his moments with johnny, ben, franklin, and sue.

i would've liked to see his relationship with carol danvers but you got a point there.

i may love it if andrew garfield interacts with RDJ and chris evans but he has better chemistry with michael b jordan.

Astonishing Member

I would think that Felicia(Pre-OMD), Jessica Drew, Carol Danvers, Betty Brant/Jennifer Walters, and even Natasha/Silver Sable can handle both the Peter Parker side as well as the Spider-Man side to his character. While we all know that none of the heroines mentioned stay @ home, they each find a connection to Peter Parker that they can not find with anyone else. There just needs to be a writer who could establish their friendship in a manner that's on par with Mary Jane and Betty Brant. Mary Jane became Peter's soul mate because the writers took their time with developing her character, whereas Felicia never got that chance for her relationship with Peter to develop in a long term manner because the writers who wanted to do that were pulled from the series, like Roger Stern for example.
    Last edited by Darthfury78; 07-30-2014 at 08:29 AM.

Astonishing Member

and that is one of the reasons i don't like him in the avengers in the MCU and neither should anyone else for that matter especially if he has to work with shield. i'd rather he interact with daredevil and other street level heroes especially the F4 since they treat him like the member of the family as well as his moments with johnny, ben, franklin, and sue.

i would've liked to see his relationship with carol danvers but you got a point there.

i may love it if andrew garfield interacts with RDJ and chris evans but he has better chemistry with michael b jordan.
    The way Spider-Man's treated in the MCU and Avengers has more to do with the writer than the Editor. And with so many characters, it's hard to see any real use for Spider-Man. As far as the Avengers heroines goes, Spider-Woman, She-Hulk, Black Widow, Captain Marvel, and Tigra could relate to Peter better than most of the other team members because they have gone through those experiences as well. We could actually a different side to each heroine if they appear in Spider-Man's world, and far away from the Avengers tagging along, which always takes a lot of dialog away from the story.

Also, a relationship between Peter and a heroine would not make his life any easier than if he's with a non-super powered female...

BANNED

The way Spider-Man's treated in the MCU and Avengers has more to do with the writer than the Editor. And with so many characters, it's hard to see any real use for Spider-Man. As far as the Avengers heroines goes, Spider-Woman, She-Hulk, Black Widow, Captain Marvel, and Tigra could relate to Peter better than most of the other team members because they have gone through those experiences as well. We could actually a different side to each heroine if they appear in Spider-Man's world, and far away from the Avengers tagging along, which always takes a lot of dialog away from the story.

Also, a relationship between Peter and a heroine would not make his life any easier than if he's with a non-super powered female...
    yeah, you're right. they eahc have some increidble chemistry with the character even sharing some of the traits and the heroine that has recieved the most messed up life is carol danvers. the writers would've just continued that relationship if the editors hadn't disagreed with their ideas. and in post siege, fear itself, and AvX they still have great chemistry. infact i was sure that carol would've been a part of the spiderman mythos.

spiderman also had a great relationship with the avengers like tony, steve, jarvis, spider-woman, thor, etc. but the MCU version i am just not into especially if he had to work with shield since shield hadn't had the best relationship with him, the avengers and the x-men. he also works best with other street level characters.

my biggest gripe would be how people would be upset that peter is an adult in his debut instead of a teen because of how people for some reason pictured him even though he's been 30 years old in the comics

Astonishing Member

yeah, you're right. they eahc have some increidble chemistry with the character even sharing some of the traits and the heroine that has recieved the most messed up life is carol danvers. the writers would've just continued that relationship if the editors hadn't disagreed with their ideas. and in post siege, fear itself, and AvX they still have great chemistry. infact i was sure that carol would've been a part of the spiderman mythos.

spiderman also had a great relationship with the avengers like tony, steve, jarvis, spider-woman, thor, etc. but the MCU version i am just not into especially if he had to work with shield since shield hadn't had the best relationship with him, the avengers and the x-men. he also works best with other street level characters.

my biggest gripe would be how people would be upset that peter is an adult in his debut instead of a teen because of how people for some reason pictured him even though he's been 30 years old in the comics
    Considering that Peter's parents were spies, that might have made for a good story angle to use Black Widow and Mystique into Spider-Man's world in connection with them. While no one's saying that Spider-Man should be a SHIELD Agent, we know that Flash could have been used in this angle a longtime ago after he came out of the Army. Then, Flash would have had a purpose in the Marvel Universe prior to being Agent Venom.

I think that the man-date to keep Peter young was the fact that Spidey started out as a teen who grew into an adult. But the current staff felt that Peter should not have grown up; nor should Peter have had parents who were CIA agents. While the idea of Peter's parents being spies was questionable, it does open the doors to stories that would have allowed the Black Widow and Mystique to enter Spider-Man's world because of it.
    Last edited by Darthfury78; 07-30-2014 at 02:00 PM.

Incredible Member Highland Chicken's Avatar

Personally I'd prefer a tv show but budget wise it seems impossible.

Spectacular Member

I would think that Felicia(Pre-OMD), Jessica Drew, Carol Danvers, Betty Brant/Jennifer Walters, and even Natasha/Silver Sable can handle both the Peter Parker side as well as the Spider-Man side to his character. While we all know that none of the heroines mentioned stay @ home, they each find a connection to Peter Parker that they can not find with anyone else. There just needs to be a writer who could establish their friendship in a manner that's on par with Mary Jane and Betty Brant. Mary Jane became Peter's soul mate because the writers took their time with developing her character, whereas Felicia never got that chance for her relationship with Peter to develop in a long term manner because the writers who wanted to do that were pulled from the series, like Roger Stern for example.
    Again I must disagree. Dan Slott has said that dating a Super-heroine would take away from the character of Pete (which of course is a very fair statement), and Felicia (even Pre-OMD) would have been nothing more than Marvel's answer to Catwoman and Batman, not to mention she loves Spider-Man not Peter Parker. One thing that is forgotten, is many women have loved (or lusted after) Spider-Man (Even Jean Dewolff did). But how many really loved Peter Parker? The answer is two, Gwen Stacy (who hated Spider-Man because of the death of her dad), and of course, MJ.
    From the perspective of a hetrosexual male, you cannot create and develop a better fictional female character than Mary Jane (at least Pre-OMD), and why even try to mess with her, except unless it is designed to shock and (or) play games with readers (Remember "Jackpot"?). To me, they should bring the marriage back (my preference) or send her to Gwen-ville once and for all. And use Anna Maria instead of teasing with the likes of "Silk."

Quote Originally Posted by Highland Chicken View Post
    Personally I'd prefer a tv show but budget wise it seems impossible.
    In an age of CGI generated dragons and epic battles on shows like “Game of Thrones,” and the film quality of BBC’s “Sherlock” series, I’m not so sure about that. It’s doubtful a network show could do the character justice, but with the multimillion-dollar budget that could be provided by a subscription channel like HBO or maybe even a Netflix (it’ll be interesting to see how “Daredevil” turns out), I could definitely see a Spider-Man series being feasible. If you shortened the length of a season to ten or fewer episodes and filmed the episodes far in advance to leave time for visual effects and postproduction, we might be close to a point when advances in technology are close enough to try it.

Having said that, we couldn’t get a massive visual spectacle on the scale of TASM2. But you don’t need a super high budget to do a villain like the Shocker. Even Electro in the comics would be easier to portray, as long as they kept his powers more in line with his original powerset from the comics rather than making him a blue ragemonster. (Not hating on the film—I liked a lot of it.)

The real advantage of a series would be the ability to focus on Peter Parker and his supporting cast, which would be another way the show could save money, instead of spending so much time on super-battles. The Peter Parker side of Spider-Man is one of the biggest appeals of the character, and one of the drawbacks of the films is that 3 films in a trilogy is never enough time to introduce and fully develop characters like JJJ, Joe Robertson, or Flash Thompson.

Astonishing Member

Again I must disagree. Dan Slott has said that dating a Super-heroine would take away from the character of Pete (which of course is a very fair statement), and Felicia (even Pre-OMD) would have been nothing more than Marvel's answer to Catwoman and Batman, not to mention she loves Spider-Man not Peter Parker. One thing that is forgotten, is many women have loved (or lusted after) Spider-Man (Even Jean Dewolff did). But how many really loved Peter Parker? The answer is two, Gwen Stacy (who hated Spider-Man because of the death of her dad), and of course, MJ.
    Actually, Pre-OMD Black Cat loved Peter Parker more than Spider-Man. You should read Kevin Smith's Black Cat min-series to learn more. Also, I must disagree with Slott's statement that Spider-Man dating a super heroine takes away the Peter Parker side of the character. Let's remember that Carol Danvers, Jessica Drew, Felicia Hardy, Black Widow, and Jennifer Walters do not see themselves as super heroines. Rather they see themselves as career women who have a day job and a life outside of the Avengers. Also, it's sad that a lot of people feel that the Black Cat is a Catwoman ripoff when it's really the other way around. I felt that Felicia Hardy should have had another chance at a real relationship with Peter Parker since all of her development(before OMD) actually made her into a character whose not a Catwoman ripoff. I think that as far as a relationship goes with Spider-Man x Super Heroine, put aside their super powers and you'll see that they are regular people with everyday problems as Peter does. It's not the powers that makes the character; its their persona that matters. At the end of the day, the only reason why Slott doesn't want to explore a relationship between Spider-Man x Super Heroine because it takes away the things that he wants to do with the character, and to have a relationship doesn't give him the chance to do his stories. That's why you will never see Mary Jane or any other love interest in Peter's life during Slott's run on the book because there are some writers who find it very difficult to do a relationship story and an adventure story at the same time.
    Last edited by Darthfury78; 07-31-2014 at 12:30 PM.

Incredible Member Highland Chicken's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Keeper of the Crows View Post
    snip
    I get your point about the cgi in other shows, however neither of them require webslinging, or cgi on 90% of the villains. Also I don't think Spider-man is popular enough to sustain a high budget tv, but that might change if everyone realised he was in the MCU.

BANNED

I really disagree with this. The issue with Spider-Man and the MCU, is that Peter Parker is his own person (not just Spider-Man), who simply does not fit in with much of the MCU.
    That is bs, Spidey has so many superhero friends and allies b e is known as the heart of the marvel u. It really shows when people like Captain America sees you with as much potential as anyone in terms of moral pureness and responsibilty.
    A perfect example is with The Avengers.
    He's a member though, but blame that on current writers who won't give him much use on the main teams.
    He is not a 24/7 Super Hero like Captain America, nor does he really like the job of being Spider-Man, he does it because it is the right thing to do.
    That makes no sense, he loves to save lives and stop evil. Heck he's a bit of blood knight when it comes to fighting recklessly and enjoying mocking his enemies. Heck his theme song emphasizes him loving being spiderman. He has giving up being Spider-Man due to having how much he cares about living normally but at the same time he has said he enjoys it for the fact it helped him love life even more and it is what his purpose is.
    But at the same time, he refuses to sacrifice his humanity (and that includes his sense of humor), and for that reason he does not gain the respect of most members of the MCU (an exception is the FF, because he has a lot of Johnny and Ben character traits in him, which is something that obviously Reed and Sue are familiar with, so he has a different kind of relationship with them, then does any other member of the MCU).
    Where are you getting this from? First of all he isn't the only hero who jokes and acts humanly relateable, there is hawkeye, wasp, iceman, kitty pryde, hellion and rockslide, ironman, and some times daredevil. And they all play important roles in their own franchises, but spidey is somehow not anymore hero material than them?

Spidey like I said earlier has made more friends and allies in the entire superhero roster than not. Even some anti heroes on the side like ghost rider and deadpool. He saved the top a list marvel heroic roster from a bomb that was about to detonate which even stumped Reed Richards and Hank Pym. He gets plenty of respect, he is just underestimated.
    Mary Jane had her chance. She was only in the way and ironically cause more grief and stress for him than being Spidey. And slot doesn't seem to want to go back to one of Peters most struggling relationship in the series. I rather have peter hook up with a street level heroine with no powers if you want a relationship with peter that won't degrade a superpowered heroine as a damsel in distress.