see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Question Doomsday Clock Delays Derailing Longterm Story Telling?

I'm curious if the delays of Doomsday Clock has ruined long term plans for a lot of writers?

The reason why I say this is with Tim Drake back as Robin in Young Justice and Damian showing up as a nightmare in Batman #62, I wonder is Damian was supposed to have died?

Essentially bringing back Batman to his roots pre-New 52 and allowing Damian's intended ending as Morrison wanted: his death.

And so because of these delays we have so many books that are really spinning their wheels, I mean look at Nightwing.

Do you think there is any validity to this idea?

I know I lost all interest in this story the first time it got delayed. I mean this is just flat out embarrassing. Furthermore, if there are plans for the JSA to return because of this story it is extremely infuriating that they are being held hostage because of this mess!
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    I know I lost all interest in this story the first time it got delayed. I mean this is just flat out embarrassing. Furthermore, if there are plans for the JSA to return because of this story it is extremely infuriating that they are being held hostage because of this mess!
    The JSA situation (and I guess the LSH as well) is more postponing and not working something out now using the concepts. Frustrating in its own way certainly, but a different problem than what Batman with his Robins.

I've sensed that DC has quietly pushed Heroes in Crisis to the forefront and is now downplaying Doomsday Clock.

I wonder if its importance has been downgraded due to the delays.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I've sensed that DC has quietly pushed Heroes in Crisis to the forefront and is now downplaying Doomsday Clock.

I've also wondered that too, but I am still interested in the 3 Jokers storyline; however, I do wish we had a resolution to that plot point a lot earlier during the Rebirth era

It really feels like for the past year or so DC's had this problem of having all their different event stories essentially fighting it out for attention to be "the important story".

Doomsday Clock was supposed to be the "BIG" thing for Rebirth, but the bimonthly release and the necessity the story takes place "at the end" has put their attention on the back burner. Heroes In Crisis then comes out of nowhere and takes full control as the most important story going on, while seemingly betraying all the Rebirth buildup. Not to mention Scott Snyder is ALSO crafting his own epic plans in his corner through Metal and his Justice League books that are leading to so. And then Bendis is in the other corner preparing for his big important shakeup. And then Three Jokers is the other "important" story that was built up, forgot about, brought back, and then finds itself in a semi-limbo state of existence due to the DC Black Label fiasco.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    It really feels like for the past year or so DC's had this problem of having all their different event stories essentially fighting it out for attention to be "the important story".

Doomsday Clock was supposed to be the "BIG" thing for Rebirth, but the bimonthly release and the necessity the story takes place "at the end" has put their attention on the back burner. Heroes In Crisis then comes out of nowhere and takes full control as the most important story going on, while seemingly betraying all the Rebirth buildup. Not to mention Scott Snyder is ALSO crafting his own epic plans in his corner through Metal and his Justice League books that are leading to so. And then Bendis is in the other corner preparing for his big important shakeup. And then Three Jokers is the other "important" story that was built up, forgot about, brought back, and then finds itself in a semi-limbo state of existence due to the DC Black Label fiasco.
    DC Black Label fiasco? Please elaborate? Was this the whole Azzarello's "Bat-Dick" thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post

Three Jokers isn’t in Limbo at all, Fabok just recently posted more artwork from it. And it’s not really intended to be an “event” nor was it ever intended to be that, it’s just Johns wanting to “leave a mark” on Batman like he’s left a mark on everything else DC.
    Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    DC Black Label fiasco? Please elaborate? Was this the whole Azzarello's "Bat-Dick" thing?
    DC got in trouble with higher-ups because of the Batdick. This might result in BL titles getting toned down which would defeat the entire purpose of the imprint. We’ll see, but as of right now none of the other projects have been cancelled.
    Last edited by Vordan; 01-12-2019 at 11:33 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I'm curious if the delays of Doomsday Clock has ruined long term plans for a lot of writers?

The reason why I say this is with Tim Drake back as Robin in Young Justice and Damian showing up as a nightmare in Batman #62, I wonder is Damian was supposed to have died?

Essentially bringing back Batman to his roots pre-New 52 and allowing Damian's intended ending as Morrison wanted: his death.

And so because of these delays we have so many books that are really spinning their wheels, I mean look at Nightwing.

Do you think there is any validity to this idea?
    The real question here is what is the endgame and long term effects of Doomsday Clock? At first it was advertised as a way to bring back the JSA(the writers are working on that)and possibly the LOSH. Right now it seems like Doomsday Clock is more focused on setting up for Superman vs Dr. Manhattan and a possible continuity reboot/ retcon while bringing back the JSA is now a much lower priority.

Honestly, I feel like the writers long term plans are delayed because most of them don't HAVE a long term plans and are making stuff up as they go along. It would explain the low quality of some current runs.

Nightwing's situation is probably a result of Didio disliking his character.

Tim is back as Robin in YJ because Bendis is trying to repair the damage done to his character over the years by Johns and Lobdell.

I thought that the nightmare was just a reflection of Batman's fear of Damian dying.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post

Heroes In Crisis is such a weird and unneeded event. I won't be surprised if they used time travel or some other plot device to 'resolve' things and this led to continuity changes.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Heroes In Crisis is such a weird and unneeded event. I won't be surprised if they used time travel or some other plot device to 'resolve' things and this led to continuity changes.
    You know honestly right now it feels like DC is in the same situation that Marvel was during the second Secret wars event. I honestly wish they would have done what they did for the three Crisis event, planned this all out. But i think that Levine was the one keeping that all together at the time honestly. Seriously DC needs someone at the top driving the bus forward.