Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Slott View Post
    Hmm. Was Obama in the best selling comic in 2012, 2013, or 2014?
    Dan, I was gonna lay off today, but since you want to keep ringing the bell:

To my original point, what are people going to remember about "the best selling comic in 2012, 2013, or 2014"?

- Will it be SlOtto shooting an unarmed man in the face, while his peers and allies stood around drooling on themselves like idiots? (Because, you know, Spider-man always fought crime with guns and a lust for criminal execution like the Punisher, except for the 50 years of stories where didn't, and there's nothing weird about that).

- Will it be Peter running around in his web-diaper, in a literal on-panel representation of the painfully regressed man-child he's become in the dumbed-down, lowest common denominator, post-One More Day comic continuity?

- Will it be Peter claiming "wow Sanjani is so right and I'm wrong" as (SlOtto's) his company crumbles, and he has to be saved from a villian by the likes of Anna Maria and Clash (a character we're supposed to care about since he was shoehorned into yet another unneeded reinterpreting of Spider-man's origin)?

- Will it be this glorious, gag-inducing panel?

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Smile

I don't intend to argue from the outside looking in, and I'm sure there is immense pressure. I just have to say that every source I've seen indicates that the 4 issues of OMD comfortably outsold the 6 issues of Devil in Cell Block D.
    Last edited by Kuwagaton; 07-04-2015 at 11:35 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesedique View Post
    Dan, I was gonna lay off today, but since you want to keep ringing the bell...
    OH NO! You were actually going to tale a break from complaining about Marvel's most successful super hero book... TODAY?!
    NOOOOOO! What have I wrought?! I've brought down a new hurricane of screw-most-readers,-why-won't-you-write-what-I-want internet butthurt!
    Nooooooooooooooooo!

To my original point, what are people going to remember about "the best selling comic in 2012, 2013, or 2014"?
    Ooh! Ooh! I can answer that!
    The one for 2012 was remembered fondly by tens of thousands of fans online. They voted for it and the Matt Fraction/David Aja HAWKEYE pizza dog issue as the two best comics of this decade for the Marvel 75 Years Omnibus.

For the best selling issue in 2013, the most talked about comment was the surprise return of the Ghost of Peter Parker.

Will it be SlOtto shooting an unarmed man...
    Sorry. That was issue #5. And while it was a Top 10 comic that month-- which sold out, causing a demand to go back for a second printing-- it sadly was not the issue of Superior that sold best that year.

For the best selling issue in 2014, it'll probably be Spidey in the web-diaper. :-)

Will it be Peter running around in his web-diaper, in a literal on-panel representation of the painfully regressed man-child he's become in the dumbed-down, lowest common denominator, post-One More Day comic continuity?
    Um. No. That might be what you and your collection of online-anger-buddies were calling it in your message board circles and tumblr rants.
    But it was just the Parker Luck, back in force-- much like Bag Man Spider-Man.
    Around the same time that happened... around 5,000 people here on CBR voted in this poll... So that scene must not have thrown them into the "dumbed-down-lowest-common-denominator-post-One-More-Day conniptions that seemed to effect you so strongly.
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=poll&id=229

Will it be Peter claiming "wow Sanjani is so right and I'm wrong" as (SlOtto's) his company crumbles...
    1. I wasn't aware that ASM #18 was the best selling comic of the year. It was the highest placed Marvel U book that wasn't tied into Secret Wars that month though... so that was nice. :-)
    2. That scene didn't really take place that way. Maybe in your memory. Or, like a fish tale, how you've stretched over time in angry-fan-rants. But if you go back and read the actual panels... not so much.
    3. Is this really how you want to spend your 4th of July? :-D (I know I'm about to head out. So all the power to you if you want to keep this going.)

Will it be this glorious, gag-inducing panel?

HA! Look at that link! You pulled that image from "dougernst.files.wordpress.com" Wow! You went all the way to crazy town for that one.
    You chew over your Spidey-bile with Mr. I-Think-Spider-Man-Should-Kill-North-Koreans? Seriously... wow. Your posts make SO much more sense now.
    I thought I was talking to a potentially reasonable person... but if that's where you dredge up your "intellectual ammo"...
    ...you're a lost cause. Sorry. But good day, sir.
    Last edited by Dan Slott; 07-04-2015 at 12:40 PM.

BANNED

Dan, I was gonna lay off today, but since you want to keep ringing the bell:

- Will it be SlOtto shooting an unarmed man in the face, while his peers and allies stood around drooling on themselves like idiots? (Because, you know, Spider-man always fought crime with guns and a lust for criminal execution like the Punisher, except for the 50 years of stories where didn't, and there's nothing weird about that).

- Will it be Peter running around in his web-diaper, in a literal on-panel representation of the painfully regressed man-child he's become in the dumbed-down, lowest common denominator, post-One More Day comic continuity?

- Will it be Peter claiming "wow Sanjani is so right and I'm wrong" as (SlOtto's) his company crumbles, and he has to be saved from a villian by the likes of Anna Maria and Clash (a character we're supposed to care about since he was shoehorned into yet another unneeded reinterpreting of Spider-man's origin)?

- Will it be this glorious, gag-inducing panel?

Back off Anna Maria, man. She's cool.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I just have to say that every source I've seen indicates that the 4 issues of OMD comfortably outsold the 6 issues of Devil in Cell Block D.
    Yes. JMS and Joe Q's highly publicized, promoted through the wazoo, 3rd rail touching story that ALL of fandom was talking about was a sales juggernaut. :-D C'mon. What kind of argument is that?
    Next your going to tell me that the Obama issue outsold Thor that month. C'mon.Attachment 24282

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    Dan is the man. I hope he never leaves ASM!

We have tons of other spider heroes to read about now, each with a different creative team and perspective. This is a great time to be a Spiderman fan.
    A great time to be a fan of Spider-Men and Women, but not of Peter Parker.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ishikabe View Post
    A great time to be a fan of Spider-Men and Women, but not of Peter Parker.
    Okay. But factor this in then (for your corner of this).
    I was the one who queued up...

Spider-Man 2099 for both the character AND the book's return. Marvel had no designs to do so. And when they were casting for creative teams, I was one of the people saying, "How could you possibly do this without Peter David?"

A new Spider-Woman book. There were no plans or designs to do this. I lobbied for that to be one of the books to be created at the launch of Spider-Verse.

You wouldn't have had Spider-Gwen without Spider-Verse. (Nice avatar, by the way.) ;-)
    The first issue of Spider-Verse (with Spider-Gwen already in it as one of the characters), was written a year before Jason & Robbie ever knew about her. They pitched a Spider-Ben book for Edge of Spider-Verse (Uncle Ben as Spidey). We already had plans for such a character-- and I wanted them kept a secret until his bunker was opened in the pages of Spider-Verse. So *I* was the one who said, "Would they be interested in fleshing out the Gwen Stacy Spider-Woman and doing a story about her?" Everything in EOSV and SPIDER-GWEN is all Jason & Robbie. But w/o me there-- *poof* -- no Spider-Gwen.

Humberto and I co-created Silk. Robbie & Stacey are breathing magic into that title. But if it weren't for her ASM appearances, the spikes in sales, and reader response, Marketing never would have asked for it to be a spin-off title.

Web Warriors has given a regular spot to cult favorite Anya (in a world where there's ALREADY 3 female Spider-Leads!!!)-- as well as Spider-Man India, Spider-Man Noir, and Spider-Ham. And that was (you guessed it) set up IN Spider-Verse to be a potential spin-off if the event were popular.

So, Ishkabe, if you think it's a great time to be a fan of Spider-Men and Women on THOSE fronts...
    You're welcome. ;-)
    Last edited by Dan Slott; 07-04-2015 at 12:04 PM.

So, Ishikabe, if you think it's a great time to be a fan of Spider-Men and Women on THOSE fronts...
    You're welcome. ;-)
    Appreciate the variations outside of Peter.

Yes. JMS and Joe Q's highly publicized, promoted through the wazoo, 3rd rail touching story that ALL of fandom was talking about was a sales juggernaut. :-D C'mon. What kind of argument is that?
    Next your going to tell me that the Obama issue outsold Thor that month. C'mon.Attachment 24282
    What fandom was talking about was how much it sucked. I know you're not throwing them under the bus and I can only speak for myself here, but I think if you tried your best to create a story as loathed as Sins Past or OMD, or as unremarkable as about a dozen other stories from the last 20 years, you'd have a good year before a beloved Hulk (good example before, since taking spidey to the top hasn't been inconceivable in a long time) or DD caught up. Maybe 6 months if they went through a Death and Return arc.

Can't stop the Onslott.
    BB

Incredible Member

What fandom was talking about was...
    What fandom was talking about was a book that was heavily ordered and that sold through the roof.
    It was a sales juggernaut.
    It's a weird argument to hold that as a sales standard.

It's saying even if you try to suck, even if your story could and did suck, you're still writing Amazing. Which is it now. No Ultimate Peter, no spectacular, no sensational. The well of Peter Parker. If most other titles hit Chapter One era numbers, the creators of those books would be beating their chests

Incredible Member

It's saying even if you try to suck, even if your story could and did suck, you're still writing Amazing.
    There's moving the goal posts... and then there's suddenly switching from a football field to a hockey rink.
    Seriously. You're all over the place.

OMD was a controversial story that was heavily promoted and had a ton of publicity-- for good or ill. It was going to sell like crazy.
    Using it for ANY kind of metric is a silly argument because it is such an outlier in so many areas.

Same for dragging up the Obama issue. These two examples-- unless being cited AS silly examples-- are really becoming the "Chewbacca Defense" of discussing how well Spider-Man comics sell.

Try again.

BANNED

3. Is this really how you want to spend your 4th of July? :-D (I know I'm about to head out. So all the power to you if you want to keep this going.)
    I'm going to pick up a twelve-pack and head down the beach with my girl. But since this is far more entertaining than reading the entirety of your Spider-man run, I'll make a little more time for it.

The one for 2012 was remembered fondly by tens of thousands of fans online. They voted for it and the Matt Fraction/David Aja HAWKEYE pizza dog issue as the two best comics of this decade for the Marvel 75 Years Omnibus.
    Not sure what people found so great about ASM #700, if that's what you're referring to--that their hero died in the street like a dog? That it was a prelude to a series where were supposed to sympathize with a mass murderer? That it featured yet another heaven scene with dead characters (way creative of you to go back to the well on that one). That it featured yet another montage of greatest hits, but this time with said mass murderer in place of Peter that we're supposed to be in awe of because he's gonna play at being a "hero"? Was it the headache-inducing artwork? Yeah wow, what a masterpiece, and what a great issue for what will probably be Spider-man's only 700th edition. Doesn't say much for Marvel's 75th omnibus (good lord, your own No One Dies would've been a better choice).

HA! Look at that link! You pulled that image from "dougernst.files.wordpress.com" Wow! You went all the way to crazy town for that one.
    You chew over your Spidey-bile with Mr. I-Think-Spider-Man-Should-Kill-North-Koreans? Seriously... wow. Your posts make SO much more sense now.
    No idea what you're on about here, man, unless you're trying to get this thread flagged by the NSA. But way to dodge. YOU wrote the panel, so you must find nothing icky / silly / ridiculous about Peter and Silk addressing each other and lolling around together like an old married couple. But it's all just another day in the silly Slott-Verse for us and Spidey.

See, I'm discussing content, where you keep dissembling and trying to spin off the topic, so much so that Mets could freely thread drift your posts.

I thought I was talking to a potentially reasonable person... but if that's where you dredge up your "intellectual ammo"...
    ...you're a lost cause. Sorry. But good day, sir.
    And here I thought I was only "Mr. I want the comic to be only how I want" to you, and you thought I was actually, potentially, reasonable? Wow, feeling so flattered.

That might be what you and your collection of online-anger-buddies were calling it in your message board circles and tumblr rants.
    Not sure where you're going with all the Tumblr bile either, since the only Tumblr comic stuff I frequently see links to are wonderful things like (Mr. Brand New Day manifesto-writer) Breevoort paternally telling readers that he knows what's good for them. But as a courtesy, I've included the link to my own personal Tumblr in my sig, where you'll find a decidedly scarce amount of Dan Slott bashing.

Have a nice 4th, kimosabe.

There's moving the goal posts... and then there's suddenly switching from a football field to a hockey rink.
    Seriously. You're all over the place.

OMD was a controversial story that was heavily promoted and had a ton of publicity-- for good or ill. It was going to sell like crazy.
    Using it for ANY kind of metric is a silly argument because it is such an outlier in so many areas.

Same for dragging up the Obama issue. These two examples-- unless being cited AS silly examples-- are really becoming the "Chewbacca Defense" of discussing how well Spider-Man comics sell.

Try again.
    Except... that my post mentioned neither story and you seem to have cut out my further explanation?

According to Google the Chewbacca defense is using confusion. What is confusing? I can just simply ask then: when has a poor selling Amazing run not been relatively awesome compared to almost anything else?