Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Some of y'all need to go see a doctor.

Attachment 120135
    Attachment 120136
    Attachment 120137
    He doesn’t look white to me…

If I want to nitpick… I would say the faces lack distinctive features and are rather plain… Good artwork but not great…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Milici View Post
    Well Henry Zaga is considered a POC in the USA, in Latin America he would be white.
    The US has weird concepts when it comes to race and ethnicity, to the point that they confuse place of birth with what race/ethnicity you are supposed to be. I am considered a POC in the US because of where I was born, even though I would be white if I was born in the US (I am Italian/Greek/Spanish). I also happen to be 6'2" and light skinned so nobody even thinks I am latin until I tell them where I am from, so I don't know if I would take the American perspective when it comes to race as a definite on anything. But in the case of Berto, he has always been depicted as mulatto, he is of mixed background and if you have seen mixed Brazilians you would know that they don't particularly look like a lot of other people of African ancestry due to their mix. Roberto to me looks like he always has before.
    Last edited by Technopriest; 04-12-2022 at 04:22 PM.

whoa whoa whoa

Just because you are Latino doesn't mean you are a person of color. Ethnicity and race are two different things.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Outburstz View Post
    whoa whoa whoa

Just because you are Latino doesn't mean you are a person of color. Ethnicity and race are two different things.
    Uh, Outburstz, have you read the original New Mutants run? Because I don't think Roberto was ever meant to be white-passing..at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Saithor View Post
    Uh, Outburstz, have you read the original New Mutants run? Because I don't think Roberto was ever meant to be white-passing..at all.
    If you are talking about Sunspot he is half black and half white

I was just talking about the statement of Latino= POC

Astonishing Member

If you are talking about Sunspot he is half black and half white

I was just talking about the statement of Latino= POC
    Okay, that's fine. I thought you were making a statement on Roberto's depiction in art recently.

whoa whoa whoa

I agree with you, but in my experience most Americans do confuse those those terms and think of Latinos as POC, regardless of ancestry. In my case is hilarious because people think that just based on my place of birth, regardless of ethnic background.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    It's 2022...it's Roberto, he's rich, he's self-absorbed, of course he's going to switch up his look from time to time.
    Eh, it's more likely another case of a non-black artist not making an effort to draw black hair. It's why most male black characters in comics end up bald or with buzz cuts. The "They're rich so they straighten their hair" reason has certain connotations and also can lead to a mess down the line, like when PAD and his X-Factor artists initially thought Monet was supposed to be South Asian when they were using her because she was drawn as an ambiguous brown girl up until that point. Also the fact that Roberto's hair has been stuck on this non-descript wavy-esque style for decades doesn't let the "He's just switching it up from time to time" excuse to fly either.

It's really the hair that makes all the difference. Here's actor Alfred Enoch, who is half-white/half Afro-Brazilian, so the same racial mix as Beto, for ref.

Last edited by Confuzzled; 04-12-2022 at 07:42 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Eh, it's more likely another case of a non-black artist not making an effort to draw black hair. It's why most male black characters in comics end up bald or with buzz cuts. The "They're rich so they straighten their hair" reason has certain connotations and also can lead to a mess down the line, like when PAD and his X-Factor artists initially thought Monet was supposed to be South Asian when they were using her because she was drawn as just an ambiguous brown girl up until that point. Also the fact that Roberto's hair has been stuck on this non-descript wavy-esque style for decades doesn't let the "He's just switching it up from time to time" excuse to fly either.

It's really the hair that makes all the difference. Here's actor Alfred Enoch, who is half-white/half Afro-Brazilian, so the same racial mix as Beto, for ref.
    Based on his early appearances his hair should be a lot more wavy/curly, but he never had hair like that. Look up 1980s soccer players from Brazil and that is what they used, but it is beyond me just what exact mix any of their parents were.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Based on his early appearances his hair should be a lot more wavy/curly, but he never had hair like that. Look up 1980s soccer players from Brazil and that is what they used, but it is beyond me just what exact mix any of their parents were.
    You got me googling 80's Brazilian footballers but from the looks of it, the ones who appear to be Afro-Brazilian or of Afro-Brazilian descent like Luizinho and Reinaldo have super curly hair.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    You got me googling 80's Brazilian footballers but from the looks of it, the ones who appear to be Afro-Brazilian or of Afro-Brazilian descent like Luizinho and Reinaldo have super curly hair.

That just means we do not know the descent of all those other players and do not want to jump to conclusions, so only see cases that meet the ideas we already have formed. All I was doing anyway was pointing the discussion in the direction of examples at that time of what the early portrayals were based on. It is possible that even at the beginning his appearance in the comics was not reflective of what is believed about his parentage.

I don't know why I'm continuously surprised by people dismissing Sunspot's whitewashing. "He's gotten progressively lighter with looser hair texture because they're trying to visually show that his mother is white." Oh, is that it? LOL.

At least they finally fixed it with Monet for the most part but Sunspot still looks like, well, anything under the sun depending on who's drawing him and at this point it's egregious. He was introduced as dark-skinned and curly haired, that is how he should look. Again, if people are confused, Alfred Enoch's photo is right there. It's funny how white characters are never mistakenly or ambiguously drawn to look anything but white but characters of color are allowed to be all over the place, visually. Almost as if...no, couldn't be.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

No one is dismissing anything. This is not a case of whitewashing.

There isn't one set standard for how an Afro-Brazilian should look with regards to their hair, their features, their complexion. (Even more so for one who's Black and White mixed)

For those perpetuating that notion: in the immortal words of EnVogue, "Free your minds, and the rest will follow!"

And as different as he looks now as compared to his early NM days...XMR Berto is still a good representation for many who look just like that.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    I don't know why I'm continuously surprised by people dismissing Sunspot's whitewashing. "He's gotten progressively lighter with looser hair texture because they're trying to visually show that his mother is white." Oh, is that it? LOL.

At least they finally fixed it with Monet for the most part but Sunspot still looks like, well, anything under the sun depending on who's drawing him and at this point it's egregious. He was introduced as dark-skinned and curly haired, that is how he should look. Again, if people are confused, Alfred Enoch's photo is right there.
    it definitely gives meaning to some people with certain shades all "look alike" to some people. that's for sure. Just throw some brown paint on it and it's not whitewashing apparently. But one thing i've noticed is there are pr posters that have some affiliation with marvel in some respect or shops and try to "soften" things when it comes to reactions.
    Last edited by jwatson; 04-13-2022 at 05:20 AM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Trust me...Nobody's confused. Far from it.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!