Page 25 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Before you got a crack at them, they always got along; they were the World's Finest! Did it just not make sense to you that they would have that dynamic?

That was basically it. I figured that they had completely different views on the world. Superman was a farm boy, he was raised by nice parents and thought the world was a well-ordered place. Batman was a city kid and his parents were blown away when he was five years old. Also, Superman could do anything he wanted to. Batman had to make himself and create Batman.
    Its worth noting that back during the Golden Age and Silver Age, DC heroes pretty much had no distinct personalities. They all had a generic cookie-cutter 'hero' personality and that was pretty much it. Superman and Batman got along great because they essentially had the same personality, despite their very different backstories.

What Miller did was take the differences that were already present in the text and extrapolate the distinct personalities and worldviews they'd have as a result.

Now I'm not saying that the only way to portray that relationship is the way Miller portrayed it. But give the man props for taking what was, at the time, a pretty refreshing approach to superhero inter-relationships and personalities.

Astonishing Member

Much prefer them being more alike than different. I'd gladly take the Golden/Silver age dynamic over what we have today. At least back then when they did the "brothers" thing it clicked and made sense.
    Last edited by The World; 10-12-2019 at 09:45 AM.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

I think everyone wants their crack at Wonder Woman because she's one of those great characters who has been done right so rarely. She's been drawn right but rarely been written right.
    Well if this isn't throwing stones in glass houses...

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

It's not like he really tried though. His Superman here gives an entirely different impression from the likes of ASBAR.

Bummer there isn't a preview.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Its worth noting that back during the Golden Age and Silver Age, DC heroes pretty much had no distinct personalities. They all had a generic cookie-cutter 'hero' personality and that was pretty much it. Superman and Batman got along great because they essentially had the same personality, despite their very different backstories.
    Yeah... aside from the excellent Gardner Fox Hawkman and some Flash, I haven't found a silver age DC that really interests me, largely because of that. The personalities and plots were forgettable compared to what Marvel had. I don't like when they try so hard with Batman, but if he's saying all the same things as Superman then I don't particularly care for either.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

edited post.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Well if this isn't throwing stones in glass houses...
    Why? I think Diana suffers the most from inconsistent writing. Geoff Johns and Azzarello's Wonder Woman were like two different characters altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfan90 View Post
    Why? I think Diana suffers the most from inconsistent writing. Geoff Johns and Azzarello's Wonder Woman were like two different characters altogether.

None of which changes the fact that Miller is the last person who should write a WW comic let alone be criticizing others for bad portrayals of the character.

His take on her was contradictory to previous ones as well on top of being offensive.

I suppose he should have said "once upon a time I was guilty too", absolutely. Like Morrison did. But she was fine in DKIII, so I'm hoping that over-the-top misandristic portrayal is over and done with. Depends on what part 3 delivers. If she's fine I have no problem putting him a similar category as Morrison, in that he did her dirty once upon a time but improved.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I haven't read enough Wonder Woman, but so far my fave version of her is in live action with the new movie and the Lynda Carter tv show. She seems a lot more likable there than anywhere else to me.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Much prefer them being more alike than different. I'd gladly take the Golden/Silver age dynamic over what we have today. At least back then when they did the "brothers" thing it clicked and made sense.
    Yeah. While Silver and Golden age heroes didn't have very distinct personalities, I think the Bronze Age was able to move them into being more distinct while keeping them alike enough where being friends made sense. Miller had to simplify them down to light vs. dark to get them into an antagonistic place.

Like in his statement about Clark being a farmboy, was that even true when TDKR happened? The Kents owned a general store pre-COIE, but I'm not sure about a farm being a major feature until post-COIE. And bullshit all over the whole "Bruce made himself into Batman" statement, as if Clark didn't go through his own journey to becoming Superman.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Preview for the 3rd and last issue of Year One: https://www.dccomics.com/reader/#/comics/448268
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 10-14-2019 at 10:28 AM.

Like in his statement about Clark being a farmboy, was that even true when TDKR happened? The Kents owned a general store pre-COIE, but I'm not sure about a farm being a major feature until post-COIE.
    There was a farm in the movie, and that probably has impact. I know the general store from Superboy, when his youth was first really explored. In the 1948 origin story (Superman #53) they seemed to be farmers. But, of course, farmers used to be a lot more of the population. According to 1920 census, 30.2% of people lived on farms (but generally declining since WWI). If I did a reboot, I'd think I'd have them own the local grocery story or some other entrepreneurial sort of thing if you don't want to compete with chain stores as time progresses. People have attributed something to the farm - in terms of outlook or naivete or whatnot - that it didn't really mean when that background was first mentioned (but did mean in the 1978 movie). Of course, that was always a fiction not based on reality, but I'm talking about perception, not reality. I mean, Lois had farmer parents in the old days, too, but no one every said that made even golden age her a farmgirl.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 10-14-2019 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Preview for the 3rd and last issue of Year One: https://www.dccomics.com/reader/#/comics/448268
    Most first meetings between Lois and Clark take place in the air. Helicopter, space plane. Might as well do one in which they meet in the water.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Fantastic Member Man_of_Tomorrow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    That splash page is pretty neat.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Yeah I think this is my favorite JRJR work since Cap. Will actually wait on the dialogue until I have the issue.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES